motard trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:19 PM
www.cycletreads.co.nz

Kevmo7 is a decent person
motard trouble

im having 2 problems with my 03 crf450.

1) how do you stop it leaking fuel when you do a high wheelie or a long stoppie? its anoying having the bike cut out so often! is there anything you can do?

2) would anybody happen to know where the sump bolt is on this bike, ive looked everywhere, everytime i changed the oil i just take 1 bolt out of the crank case and let it leak out there
Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: motard trouble

i'm not sure what a sump bolt is. it has 2 drains. one on bottom and one on the side. The tranny and motor oil are separate.

about the leaking gas. the float isn't riding high enough to shut off the incoming fuel so it goes to overflow. you can lower the float but this will also affect the fuel on level ground. When hard accelerating you might bog due to running out of fuel in the bowl.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:12 AM

YoungBuck is a decent person

Ive noticed almost all carbed hondas are like this. My old XR100 I wheelied did the same thing and would shut off on me. bought this suzuki and barley leaks at all and never ***** off
Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 AM
clutch it up!!!

NBstunter is an unknown quantity at this point

my old xr80 did that, and now my ruckus will shut off on me but because it has a fuel pump it doesnt leak.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:41 AM

12oclocker is an unknown quantity at this point

dude your bike is have trouble at vertical? I've got a 04 CRF250X (same type carbs) and mine does not have any trouble at vertical, I can drag tail forever without a stall or anything. my bike never cuts out, ryan moore stunts a 450r like yours and has no problems vertical eithor. somethings going on with your stuff, those flat slide carbs run pretty good vertical. my WR250F is also a flat slide carb, and I've ridden wheelies for several miles without problems. 12 coasters and stuff on that one too, no problems. Now the typical carbs on your XR200, XR100, etc, those carbs SUCK, and flood really easy.
Take your carb off and check everything out, maybe your overflow tube is obstructed or something, but from every CRF250 and 450 I've seen, they run great way past 12, without modification.
I think you mean drain bolt, not sump bolt right? On my CRF250 their is a tranny drain bolt by the shifter, and a oil bolt on the bottom.
If you have a guard on the bottom of your frame, its probably blocking access to the oil drain bolt, you gotta take the guard off.
Oil fills in the large cap, tranny oil in the smaller cap, their is a bolt with a screw head on the right side of the engine, take it out when filling the tranny fluid, once fluid starts coming out, tranny is full. dont use a screwdriver, use a socket. HP4 for engine oil, GN4 or Honda HP Trans Oil for the tranny.
Filter is on the left side, change it too.

Last edited by 12oclocker; 08-15-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

turn your idle up a smidge
Old 08-15-2008, 02:14 AM
- got blox? -

Kruzah is just really niceKruzah is just really niceKruzah is just really niceKruzah is just really niceKruzah is just really nice

Come to hammy n I'll sort it for ya!! I think the drain bolts are either 1 underneath and 1 by the shifter (behind all the drain/vent hoses) or they are both by the shifter. Look for the alloy washers.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 AM

23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kevmo7

1) how do you stop it leaking fuel when you do a high wheelie or a long stoppie? its anoying having the bike cut out so often! is there anything you can do?

2) would anybody happen to know where the sump bolt is on this bike, ive looked everywhere, everytime i changed the oil i just take 1 bolt out of the crank case and let it leak out there
Can't help ya on the fuel issue but there is two drain bolts and neither are on the bottom of those bikes.

engine oil bolt is the only 10mm bolt on the left crankcase cover by the shifter. The transmission drain is a 12mm bolt and its under the shifter on the left crankcase

Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

To stop it from leaking turn the ON/OFF fuel thingy about 1/4 of the way towards OFF instead of directly on ON
Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 AM

12oclocker is an unknown quantity at this point

To stop it from leaking turn the ON/OFF fuel thingy about 1/4 of the way towards OFF instead of directly on ON
thats a sweet tip man, restrict the gas flow so it's used in the carb before the carb has a chance to flood, nice. I'm gonna try that on my other bikes. previously I had been just turning the gas on and off while riding, which sucks.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 AM

Peter Steele is a decent person

Originally Posted by Kevmo7

i think last time i looked at my bros. the drain plug was on the right side. But his is like a 07 crf 450.

on the other side. To save that spillage. get a old bottle and run the hose into that.

ure bike is probly spluttering cause ure mixture might be too lean. so try turning the idle up. (not the air intake)... or try a mixture of both.

:D
Old 08-15-2008, 08:22 PM
www.cycletreads.co.nz

Kevmo7 is a decent person

thanks for the help, im gonna try nag's idea this afternoon, see if that works and ill have a big look around and might take a few pictures of the bolts and see if any of you reconize which one you undo