Stoppie Headshake..why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 AM

Suicidal Antics is an unknown quantity at this point
Stoppie Headshake..why?

Well I just swapped an 05/06 forks and rotors onto my 03 636, and gotta say it was a huge improvement. Huge.

Ive never been big into stoppies, and always focused on wheelies because ive had so much to learn. Now im looking to add some variation, and started working on stoppies yesterday. Im no stoppie god by anymeans, but I would say 50-75feet consistently on my first day trying them. Im not the smoothest yet on the brakes, but i noticed that the higher they got, the more and more headshake I started to get. Nothing insane, but just enough of a wobble to make things uncomftable..... Why is this?

I do not have a damper, and run dirtbikebars. Its a shitty d208 tire, that takes a year and a day to heat up, but I cant imagine the tire being the issue....its not cupped or anything. Anyone have any ideas? is my tire pressure too low? what should it be?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM

havok is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stoppie Headshake..why?

when doing stoppies you want to have a good tire...and yer neck bearings maybe loose
Old 06-09-2008, 12:04 PM

yeah. the tire isnt in bad shape.... just takes a long time to heat up. usually by the time i get the bike warmed up, and get myself warmed up and comftable, its just about warm.... its just not like M1's that i run, that are ready to go from the start.....

what pressure are you guys running? Maybe if im not getting my arms completely locked, that would cause it?

Also, if the rear end starts to drift....whats the right way to correct it?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:16 PM

that tire does take along time to warm up,,but dont forget everytime you rock wheelies yer tire is going to cool off,and that tire sucks ***..

if you feel that yer starting to drift to one side put it down and try again...you wanna get into the habit of locking yer arms out everytime you go up...if one arm is not locked it will throw you to one side...

and you say yer rolling 50-75 ft,,from how far of a start???

Last edited by havok; 06-09-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:24 PM

yeah i understand what you mean, but ive notice alot of videos of people using tons of body english to correct.... Say the tail starts to drift left..... lean right to counter it?

As for a start... it was probably about 50ft or so, and middle-ish of 2nd gear. but then again, im +23 so its alot slower than it sounds.... My biggest thing now is it takes me a little while to get the rear end up high. Its still probably not as high as it should be, but then again, i only practiced stoppies for 1/4 of the session if that, and that was my first try..
Old 06-09-2008, 12:35 PM

from what ive seen you can only really adjust it when yer at a certin height..