f4i wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:43 PM

DirtyToes is a decent person
f4i wheelies

okay, so i've read all the tutorials on wheelies...both on and off this site but my question is specific to the f4i.

btw, i dont think its relevant but ive got a 01.

anyway, i've been practiving wheelies for about 2 weeks now and still can't ride it out...cause i think i've gone too high and i close the throttle..and then i slam it down

here is how i do it:
1st gear, get to about 18-20mph, pull-in clutch, rev to 9-10k rpm and dump it.

this usually gets me pretty high....depending on how much gas i have....i also have a 905 cage which adds like 15lbs i think.

weight: 155ish

so my question goes to all those who know how to wheelie a f4i....

how much do you weight?
what speed do you pop it up at?
how much do you rev?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:10 PM

havok is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: f4i wheelies

um i have a f4 a f4i and r6...it aldepends on yer weight ,size of sprocket,and most important how much throttle..
im 6'4 235 so when i had stock sprockets i had to give the front end alittle bounce,it take weight off the front and helps it transfer to the rear....the power band on the f4 f4i should be around 6-8 rpm..
are you slipping the clutch or grabing it with yer whole hand a dumping it..that def makes a diff..you want to just slip the clutch..
try going alittle slower you dont want to go to fast in first..
go about ten mph and just slip the clutch and make sure to give a good amount of throttle..when you feel that your going too far back,,your not even close yet...took me awhile to figure that out..just ease off the throttle and youll start to feel the bikes power,so this you dont just slam down....
remeber to start small till you get throttle control down...
hey im no pro by far..i just started myself..but just remember
that oh **** feeling will soon go away,with practice
Old 01-21-2007, 08:23 PM

numberTWO is an unknown quantity at this point

You are thinking way too deep into it...Weight doesn't matter. Bike doesn't matter. RPM's barely matter. It's not drag racing. You don't hold it at an rpm then drop the clutch. A wheelie is all about feel. If you wanna learn higher speed wheelies then just cruise at about 15-20 and just learn to bounce as you clutch. Just give the throttle a little BRAAAP...and pop the clutch right after you gas it. Stay consistent on the throttle and don't freak out if you go too high, cuz like he said you are not even close. It's your equilibrium not being used to the position. You will get over that. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 PM

Snipes20 is an unknown quantity at this point

how different do you think it is form bike to bike?? doing a wheelie is just practicing until you get it right....if you let off the throttle and the bike comes slamming down......you've got alot of pracrice to do yet. you know when your to high when you let it off and it keeps going backwards.....thats why you have to cover the brake
Old 01-22-2007, 01:12 AM

well, i can't do standups yet....so all the wheelies that i do are while i'm sitting....a few days after i started practicing wheelies i thought i was doing 9-10s but then i was out with a buddy of mine and he told me that i was only getting a feet off the ground!!

so I think i'm past the "thinking i'm too high" part.

basically, when i pop a wheelie and i can't see in front of me, i know i'm too high and i close the throttle.....at this point i'm pretty high...rite?

btw, i have stock sprockets....talked to this guy and he told me to get a 60-tooth rear and go 2 down in the front....he said by the time i get it up, i'm gonna be out of rpms and that i wont be able to shift while im up there becaz its too hard...true/false?

another problem for me is that there is no good place to practice wheelies....meaning there isn't a street where i can keep going back and forth on to practice......so what i do most of the time is go to a big residential community that has alot of streets with good pavement and no people...so i have to constantly move from one street to another to stay away from cops..but then there is a lot of street bumps..there is not real good place to practice so this makes it kinda hard to learn.

Last edited by DirtyToes; 01-22-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by numberTWO
RPM's barely matter.
is that really true? cause, although i havn't tried it, i think if i rev to 13 and dump i'm gonna loop? so doesn't how much i rev make a HUGE difference?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Snipes20
you know when your to high when you let it off and it keeps going backwards.....thats why you have to cover the brake
where will this be? 11?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyToes
is that really true? cause, although i havn't tried it, i think if i rev to 13 and dump i'm gonna loop? so doesn't how much i rev make a HUGE difference?
What he means is most of us don't look at our tach (some don't even have one) when we are about to wheelie. you can feel where it will happen once you get use to it.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:54 AM

where will this be? 11?
<<<<<<look at my pic....thats right at balance point. you want to be around 10 or 10:30when sitting down. and don't worry about changing your sprockets as extreemly as buddy told you until yuor ready to do idle.

your wondering what your doing wrong but you polly aren't doing anything wrong, it just takes time for you to get use to wheeling cause your body says that it should be doing it.

the only thing that I would suggest is that mabey try doing standups cause most people are more comfortable that way and you'll still be able to see
Old 01-22-2007, 02:37 AM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

ok... so many things... first off.. THERE ARE HOW TO WHEELIE THREADS!!!!
use the search feature for ***** sake. it's going to take practice and more practice and maybe some falling down. do staggered stand ups (left foot on pass peg, right foot on brake) and always clutch... now do not post asking anymore questions or thinking there is a new sprocket or air filter or handbrake that will make it easier, practice.. and as numberTWO puts it "Dedication"
Old 01-22-2007, 02:45 AM

Hajinomoto1 is an unknown quantity at this point

well, i can't do standups yet....so all the wheelies that i do are while i'm sitting....a few days after i started practicing wheelies i thought i was doing 9-10s but then i was out with a buddy of mine and he told me that i was only getting a feet off the ground!!

so I think i'm past the "thinking i'm too high" part.

basically, when i pop a wheelie and i can't see in front of me, i know i'm too high and i close the throttle.....at this point i'm pretty high...rite?

btw, i have stock sprockets....talked to this guy and he told me to get a 60-tooth rear and go 2 down in the front....he said by the time i get it up, i'm gonna be out of rpms and that i wont be able to shift while im up there becaz its too hard...true/false?

another problem for me is that there is no good place to practice wheelies....meaning there isn't a street where i can keep going back and forth on to practice......so what i do most of the time is go to a big residential community that has alot of streets with good pavement and no people...so i have to constantly move from one street to another to stay away from cops..but then there is a lot of street bumps..there is not real good place to practice so this makes it kinda hard to learn.

where in LA are you located...there should be a few spots where you can rip it up safely. FYI All it takes is practice... try to practice consequitive days too.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Snipes20
What he means is most of us don't look at our tach (some don't even have one) when we are about to wheelie. you can feel where it will happen once you get use to it.
okay, i kind of get it now....but when you say you can feel it, are you talking about how much you need to twist, or by the sound or wat?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by crtchrktrcr
ok... so many things... first off.. THERE ARE HOW TO WHEELIE THREADS!!!!
use the search feature for ***** sake. it's going to take practice and more practice and maybe some falling down. do staggered stand ups (left foot on pass peg, right foot on brake) and always clutch... now do not post asking anymore questions or thinking there is a new sprocket or air filter or handbrake that will make it easier, practice.. and as numberTWO puts it "Dedication"
once again, lol. as i mentioned in my first post, i've read alot if not all of those threads...its just that none of them are specific to the f4i nor do they talk about i.e how much you should rev....but apparently that doesn't make a big difference anyway.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hajinomoto1
where in LA are you located...there should be a few spots where you can rip it up safely. FYI All it takes is practice... try to practice consequitive days too.
i'm in encino(SF valley)....and i only know ONE "stunt spot" which is the same place most ppl go to...but i already got busted once there by 3 cops while practicing wheelies....and i learned my lesson....never practice at a known "stunt" spot.....i saw that waiver sticky which seems pretty cool but then again i don't know any land-owners with a big property.

but if you know a good spot, and as long as its not TOO far from where i live, i wouldn't mind traveling a bit.....cause like you said, if its close, i can do consecutive days.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 AM

lamby is an unknown quantity at this point

okay, i kind of get it now....but when you say you can feel it, are you talking about how much you need to twist, or by the sound or wat?

sound
Old 01-22-2007, 03:34 AM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

i'm in encino(SF valley)....and i only know ONE "stunt spot" which is the same place most ppl go to...but i already got busted once there by 3 cops while practicing wheelies....and i learned my lesson....never practice at a known "stunt" spot.....i saw that waiver sticky which seems pretty cool but then again i don't know any land-owners with a big property.

but if you know a good spot, and as long as its not TOO far from where i live, i wouldn't mind traveling a bit.....cause like you said, if its close, i can do consecutive days.
Stagg? That place has been a bust for a while.

Do you actually want to stunt or just learn the occasional wheelie..
Old 01-22-2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by inolen
Stagg? That place has been a bust for a while.

Do you actually want to stunt or just learn the occasional wheelie..
didn't wanna name it cause alot of forum ppl usually get pissed when you do cause its a public forum but ya, thats the place i was talkin about.

and i wanna learn to stunt. idle wheelies, circles, highchairs, stanups, i wanna learn all that stuff.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:27 AM

lamby is an unknown quantity at this point

off topic but what can cops do if you are at a parking lot and the owners or no one reported tresspassing or disturbing anyone? (clean title, insurance and everything)
Old 01-22-2007, 04:51 AM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lamby
off topic but what can cops do if you are at a parking lot and the owners or no one reported tresspassing or disturbing anyone? (clean title, insurance and everything)
If the parking lot has public access, they can give you road citations.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 AM

didn't wanna name it cause alot of forum ppl usually get pissed when you do cause its a public forum but ya, thats the place i was talkin about.

and i wanna learn to stunt. idle wheelies, circles, highchairs, stanups, i wanna learn all that stuff.
Do you got a cage on your bike?

We got a single spot left. But we can't have you practicing wheelies at 20-30mph at it. If you really want to practice slow wheelies you can come out...

Quick Reply: f4i wheelies