kleen air on my 636-good idea!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
PowerhousePerformanceCycl

zeus_r6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: kleen air on my 636-good idea!

I actually removed the pair valve, t'd the two off and sent it right to the crankcase breather the same way it's done on the 636 or F4i...last night I heard a big PSSSSSHHHHH like a blowoff valve on a turbo car...also the bike pushed the seal around the clutch shaft out and was spraying oil all over.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by zeus_r6
I actually removed the pair valve, t'd the two off and sent it right to the crankcase breather the same way it's done on the 636 or F4i...last night I heard a big PSSSSSHHHHH like a blowoff valve on a turbo car...also the bike pushed the seal around the clutch shaft out and was spraying oil all over.
the only way this mod can make pressure is if the reed valves in your valve cover are removed or stuck open or closed in some way ..

the reed valves are one way doors that won't allow pressure to build but if they are missing then you will get pressure from the exhuast and if they are still in there and stuck closed you will get pressure from blowby
Old 11-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

cbr_stunt is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the whole purpose of a kleen air mod?
Originally Posted by THORPE
O K so I figured I'd try the mod on my 636 after filling my airbox with oil while practicing stall jumping to the bike.

Man what a noticeable difference!
I did the mod where you run a hose straight from the crank case to the kleen air valve T. I also took the spring out of the Kleen diaphram assembly just in case it resricted anything. That way I knew it wouldn't build Case presure.

I had my idle up before this mod & now i had to cut it down to about half because the idle was so strong now.

The bike is much deeper and quieter sounding too.

I don't loose power on long wheelies anymore either

After riding it today compared to before the mod it seems like my rpms had to be up before to get the same power i get now.

Anyway that's my story and i'm sticking with it

ANybody else tried it and like it?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:21 AM
STUNT SYNDICATE

ogsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by THORPE
yeah i the parts store i was at didn't have a "T" to replace it with so i had to make do with what i had (it was Sunday).

My oil is just below the top mark on the glass too.

Fixin to go ride now and test it out more but so far i'm happy with it
he didnt say top mark,he said top of sight glass!!!! big dif!
Old 11-06-2008, 03:29 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by cbr_stunt
What's the whole purpose of a kleen air mod?
go to the begining and read the thread ...
Old 11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Call me *Point Blank*

cbr_stunt is an unknown quantity at this point

so is it highly common getting oil in the airbox? should most stunters have this done when setting the bike up for stunting?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 PM
PowerhousePerformanceCycl

zeus_r6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oil in the airbox will hydrolock the motor, and in some cases bend rod(s).
Old 11-07-2008, 01:46 PM
www.EndlessMoto.com

EndlessMoto is a decent person

Originally Posted by zeus_r6
Oil in the airbox will hydrolock the motor, and in some cases bend rod(s).
Good call Yamaha boy....LOL. The previous owner of my 636 did not do this mod and ended up blowing a whole in his block when the motor ingested the oil. IMHO everyone should have this mod done if they plan on rocking wheelies.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:05 PM

zxcraig is a decent person

i did it on mine & have no problems at all,,, but if i scrape the 12 bar for a while it will smoke like a snoop dog concert !!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by zxcraig
i did it on mine & have no problems at all,,, but if i scrape the 12 bar for a while it will smoke like a snoop dog concert !!!!
and that oil that is causing the smoke would be going in your air box if you hadn't done the mod
Old 11-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

Completed the mod on my 05 636 yesterday and took some pics. Pretty much got everything from Lowes except the safety wiring from Cycle Gear and the Vacuum line rubber caps from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I'm still debating whether or not to stuff a few oil sponges in that clear tubing.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:43 PM

636squid is a decent person

On my bike where the two things on the valve cover are theres block off plates, I was going to do the clean air mod but don't have those things with the hoses coming off the valve covers. Whats the deal with that they where on there when I bought the bike.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM

BUMP does anyone know what those plates are or what benefit they are.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:17 PM

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 636squid
BUMP does anyone know what those plates are or what benefit they are.
They are a part of the Clean Air System. The valves underneath the plates inside the motor are called the "Air Suction Valves". The circular shaped valve outside the motor on top of the valve cover with one vacuum line hooked up to it, one input from the airbox and 2 output hoses to those valve caps is called the "Air Suction Valve".

The Air Suction Valve CLOSES, from a normally OPEN state when a vacuum pressure of 41-49 kPa (310-370 mmHG) is achieved.

This is straight from the 2005 ZX-636 Service Manual. Should be damn near the same for the 03-04 but I would check your manual. I had an 03 and it was the exact same setup as my 05.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Armenian
They are a part of the Clean Air System. The valves underneath the plates inside the motor are called the "Air Suction Valves". The circular shaped valve outside the motor on top of the valve cover with one vacuum line hooked up to it, one input from the airbox and 2 output hoses to those valve caps is called the "Air Suction Valve".
This is what my bike has, but in looking them up I found the benefit to them. Graves sells them and so do a lot of other companies for relatively cheap.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:46 PM

This is what my bike has, but in looking them up I found the benefit to them. Graves sells them and so do a lot of other companies for relatively cheap.

yes they may benefit most riders looking for performance, but they completely defeat the purpose of the Clean Air Mod. We're trying to prevent oil from entering the airbox and locking up the motor and using the Clean Air System as an exit is the solution. Sell those plates to a racer or street rider!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Armenian
yes they may benefit most riders looking for performance, but they completely defeat the purpose of the Clean Air Mod. We're trying to prevent oil from entering the airbox and locking up the motor and using the Clean Air System as an exit is the solution. Sell those plates to a racer or street rider!

I took the tube that goes to the airbox off and put a little breathe filter on it off a valve cover froma chevy v8 so no air goes into my airbox.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 PM

I took the tube that goes to the airbox off and put a little breathe filter on it off a valve cover froma chevy v8 so no air goes into my airbox.
That solves part of the problem but you'll be cleaning up a big oily mess when the oil goes through that filter. Been there. Tried that. Failed. lol. I also jammed a bunch of oil sponges in the hose and it still passed. Wish I would have taken pics of the oil all over the god damn fairings LOL.

I even tried a catch can and that was worse. Oil just spewed out of it. LOL

Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 PM

I guess I just haven't had the problem yet, even at 12.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Ok my pics above have changed but i put the airbox back on and did'nt take any pics. instead of routing the tube over the throttle bodies, i slid it under on the right side between the frame and throttle bodies, around and up to the Kleen. To verify valve operation i disconnected the hose down at the crankcase and blew into it. I had the headers off the bike and felt the air pass very easily to the exhaust. It also made a funny buzzing noise kind of like a Kazoo LOL.

Quick Reply: kleen air on my 636-good idea!