Frayed clutch cables.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 PM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve
Frayed clutch cables.

Ive been using the msr raptor clutch perch and ive frayed two clutch cables in the last 6 months or so. The ease of pulling is nice, but im tired of replacing cables. Is the moose any better at not destroying cables, how about asv? Or should i go with OEM?
Old 12-22-2006, 03:52 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person
Re: Frayed clutch cables.

Originally Posted by aw0n0
Ive been using the msr raptor clutch perch and ive frayed two clutch cables in the last 6 months or so. The ease of pulling is nice, but im tired of replacing cables. Is the moose any better at not destroying cables, how about asv? Or should i go with OEM?

Cut the barrel down its prob too long and your cable is kinking....Also I see too amny people let the slot in the barrel face the rider, this will eat up a cable in no time. When the slot in the barrel faces the rider the cable slips in and out of the barrel and causes the cable to fray...Set it so its up, down, or away from the rider...
Old 12-22-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Cut the barrel down its prob too long and your cable is kinking....Also I see too amny people let the slot in the barrel face the rider, this will eat up a cable in no time. When the slot in the barrel faces the rider the cable slips in and out of the barrel and causes the cable to fray...Set it so its up, down, or away from the rider...
the slot was definitely facing away from rider...but thats a good point. you dont have fraying problems with a msr?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:07 PM

ct954 is an unknown quantity at this point

i've had my moose all summer and its fine..6+ months
Old 12-22-2006, 04:24 PM

the slot was definitely facing away from rider...but thats a good point. you dont have fraying problems with a msr?
In 2 years and about 4 differnt MSR's (im now using the MSR PRO) I have only broken 1 cable, and that was because I let the slot face the rider one day without noticing before it ruiend the cable....Those are the 2 only problems Ive experienced with them, the slot and the barrel being too long and causing kinking of the cable....
Old 12-22-2006, 04:26 PM

will it matter if the barrel is long, but i keep it screwed in almost all the way into the lever?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:09 PM

will it matter if the barrel is long, but i keep it screwed in almost all the way into the lever?

Hold your lever in and look at the cable where it comes out of the barrel, if its kinked its no good and that will eat away your cable slowly....I noticed that mine were too long and creating a kink there so I shorten them and their fine after that...
Old 12-22-2006, 05:38 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

right there with ya buddy I fray cables for breakfast
Old 12-22-2006, 05:40 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
short barrel and facing away,up,or down and it still eats em up.might just put the asv back on and start body building with my finger
Old 12-22-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by SKETCHY146
short barrel and facing away,up,or down and it still eats em up.might just put the asv back on and start body building with my finger
im gonna give the msr one more chance. then if i fry another cable, im gonna go with asv and clutch arm mod.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:59 PM

1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about

I've never frayed a cable on mine and it doesn't even get by the edge of the adjuster... kinda a stupid suggestion but you guys are actually moving the pivot for the adjuster into the easy poll notch right? I know you have the cable in the easy pull notch but if you don't take the adjuster out and actually move the pivot into the easy pull notch it will prolly kill the cables quickly. I know Johnnyp has to know what I'm talking about if you guys don't let me know I'll post a pic with it circled...
Old 12-22-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1ST GEAR
I've never frayed a cable on mine and it doesn't even get by the edge of the adjuster... kinda a stupid suggestion but you guys are actually moving the pivot for the adjuster into the easy poll notch right? I know you have the cable in the easy pull notch but if you don't take the adjuster out and actually move the pivot into the easy pull notch it will prolly kill the cables quickly. I know Johnnyp has to know what I'm talking about if you guys don't let me know I'll post a pic with it circled...
post a pic if you can...
i might not have that done, although im not sure exactly what youre talking about.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:22 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SKETCHY146
what ASV do you have.. F3? C5? pro or non-pro? the pro's have bearings at the pivot...
Old 12-22-2006, 06:25 PM

babyJOKER is an unknown quantity at this point

^please do pic will explain it better
Old 12-22-2006, 06:58 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

my OEM lever kills my finger after 20-30 minutes of solid riding
Old 12-22-2006, 07:09 PM

silverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to all

+

=

Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 PM

1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about1ST GEAR has a spectacular aura about

If you look there are 3 slots you can choose from... go with the one closest to the bars.. Hard to see all three slots on mine cause it's old and I have actually worn it down some when it flipped and broke my adjuster off.. Hope this helps. Click for larger image
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-018S.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	185913   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-019S.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	185914   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-020S.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	185915  
Old 12-22-2006, 08:13 PM

hmmm is that the pro? mine isnt adjustable, it kind of just moves around freely...
Old 12-22-2006, 08:13 PM

asv's are great levers, easy to mount HB around but I'm sorry hands down an easy pull setup right is the shizit.. you can easily mount it inboard or outboard the Hb and has the right bend and pull that it never hurts your hand.. Nice when everyone else's hands get tired trying coasters or circles and your just getting warmed up. og and I have an asv I would sell if anyone is interested!!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 PM

it's the moose version.. not raptor.. got it from HAI but a friends got a raptor and his is the same way. actually have to unscrew the adjuster and then the pivot pin pops out and turns. It is alwayys shipped in the outmost position well all 4 of them I have seen new were like that. Got a pic of yours?

Quick Reply: Frayed clutch cables.