learn 12s the easist way???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 02:15 AM

mikkee is a decent person
Re: learn 12s the easist way???

Originally Posted by hayez
ive been trying to learn 12s but i just cant seem to get it all the way,im afraid im gonna hit to hard and either loop back words or go back a little to far and crunch my tail and lose control,whats the best way to get em right?should i put a 12 bar on to help?or should i just keep doing what im doing?
There's a lot of pussies replying saying not to use a bar . There's nothing to be scared of by using a bar. While learning 12's you are going to accidently hit the tail/bar it's going to surprise you and probably hit a little hard. Without a bar there's going to be nothing left of your tail . 12's are all about break control, you should be practicing slowing down the wheelie and controling it with the rear break not tring to hit the tail or bar. The way I learned is from almost a dead stop in 2nd gear (gsxr 750 +16 rear) cluched up to the bp then rolling on the throttle and at the same time applying break pressure bring the the bike back past the bp. Work that and have someone watch you and or video tape. Once you are able to rock them 3 to four inches off the plate consistantly you should be able to put it on the plate softly. (You just learned 12's) :YEAH For bar length I recommend getting your bar cut an inch or 2 SHORTER than the end of your tail reason being for more stability while riding the plate. If you manually stand your bike up on the plate it shouldn't sit right at 12, it should sit at a slight angle back past 12. Having a bar right on the tail or longer than the tail is a big no no , you will definately eat **** with a bar longer then your tail. Any other Q's -reply- and I'll hit you back.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:52 AM

robert929lewis is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about the easiest way, but I know how I learned. It may not work for everyone, but here goes. With a FI cage and bar, I first put the bike on the bar manually to see if it would stay and what angle it was at. Since I'm really not mechanically inclined I followed the pictured directions verbatim, 'cause redrilling the sub-frame is just about guaranting you to buy a new one...After we jumped on it sat on it and tried to make it fall with simulated bar tricks, we set it down and I strapped up. From the advice given to me, as a beginner with my set up, at about 5 mph covering the back brake clutch it and pick a spot up and out in front of you where you see the front tire and brake and pull back feathering the brake as needed. I fell a few times and still do on occassion. I won't lie you will be nervous, I know I was, but that's just normal. I was also told to take my air psi in the rear tire down to 10-12psi, this will help to grip as well as alot of wobble.. I ride a 929 with freeway gears -1 front and +2 rear with a 520 conversion. It definately accelerates a whole lot better....Again this is the way I learned and this is what I continue to ride, and I run my idle at 2500rpm and I can get it to go slow. It will nerve you when you scrape the first few times all I can say is pay attention to your angle and look at your front tire position and get used to it and keep on working on it.... There will be a point just b/4 you scrape where the bike will feel weightless guess what, that's where you want to be........Good luck, hope something I said may help someone....Remember this is the way I learned and it may not work for you just use it as a reference and go from there......... tight..
Old 12-22-2004, 01:10 AM

Flamed04R6 is an unknown quantity at this point

These 12'z are a bitch to learn. But then again its only my second day of working on them... That and everytime i get the damn thing up to 11 or 11:30 i completely forget about my back brake, so i'm gonna hafta work on that some more, cause i've already dropp'd the thing twice when the bar hit and started the whole spin-a-roo bike.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:29 AM

da Liks is a decent person

Originally Posted by mikkee
There's a lot of pussies replying saying not to use a bar . There's nothing to be scared of by using a bar. While learning 12's you are going to accidently hit the tail/bar it's going to surprise you and probably hit a little hard. Without a bar there's going to be nothing left of your tail . 12's are all about break control, you should be practicing slowing down the wheelie and controling it with the rear break not tring to hit the tail or bar. The way I learned is from almost a dead stop in 2nd gear (gsxr 750 +16 rear) cluched up to the bp then rolling on the throttle and at the same time applying break pressure bring the the bike back past the bp. Work that and have someone watch you and or video tape. Once you are able to rock them 3 to four inches off the plate consistantly you should be able to put it on the plate softly. (You just learned 12's) :YEAH For bar length I recommend getting your bar cut an inch or 2 SHORTER than the end of your tail reason being for more stability while riding the plate. If you manually stand your bike up on the plate it shouldn't sit right at 12, it should sit at a slight angle back past 12. Having a bar right on the tail or longer than the tail is a big no no , you will definately eat **** with a bar longer then your tail. Any other Q's -reply- and I'll hit you back.
why will you definitely eat ****? my bar s longer than my tail (a lil bit), its not a reallyreallyreally 12
Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 AM

OLIVER is an unknown quantity at this point

yea a bar is great and all but watching new people trying to 12 they tend to say screw the brake and depend on the bar but what mikee is saying is right dont think of hitting the bar worry about riding it slow first cause if you bring it straight to the bar with no brake your gonna loose it , and when you put a bar please make sure your bike sits a lil passed 12 cause if it dont thats no bueno
Old 12-22-2004, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Flamed04R6
These 12'z are a bitch to learn. But then again its only my second day of working on them... That and everytime i get the damn thing up to 11 or 11:30 i completely forget about my back brake, so i'm gonna hafta work on that some more, cause i've already dropp'd the thing twice when the bar hit and started the whole spin-a-roo bike.
Have you fixed your tipover sensor? That was one reason I crashed the first few times I got on the plate, once I hit it, it seemed like the bike just lunged forward while I went off the back and afterwards scratching my head wondering what happened.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by da Liks
why will you definitely eat ****? my bar s longer than my tail (a lil bit), its not a reallyreallyreally 12
If you just tapit you should be ok but if you are riding the plate and it is not at 12 or more the bike is not stable and usually will send you into the wobbles.

But don't take my word as gold I get this from personal experience and some of the best riders in the country out here on the west coast. But ask around and I believe you will get the same awnsers from other experienced riders.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:26 PM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

if anyone wants akinda funny video of me gettin attack of the wobbles, pm me
Old 12-25-2004, 02:47 AM

i bought the bike from DSOG Thomas all setup. 905 cage and FI bar. its streetfightered and the tipover sensor is gone.. i was sleeping the other day and woke up in the middle and was like "damn i know what i've been doing wrong". i'm so used to having both feet on the front pegs, that i was having a hard time realizing what postion the bike was in, so when i would clutch it up to around 11 to 11:30 position, i'd give it a bit more gas (thinkin it wasn't that high) instead of lettin the idle take over and it would smack the bar on the ground, and waa laa spin-a-roo. So whenever i get over being sick and get a nice day, i'm gonna go out and try my luck at it somemore.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 PM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough

How are you doing with it???

dont be scared to come down here and ride one weekend...u can crash at my place
Old 01-04-2005, 12:14 AM

I haven't had any luck here lately... I'm gonna ride down one weekend an crash there real soon. I'm head'd up to Charlotte this weekend, where i'm gonna yank the cage and send it back to 905 and get that motor weld'd up. Then the following weekend i'm stuck getting ready for my trip to florida (gotta fill out paperwork and find an apartment for when i move for school). So it'll probly be about 2 weeks from this weekend before i'll get the chance, but i'm gonna go do some more practicin this week before it starts gettin cold again.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:20 PM

Got out there practicing on the thing today. Damn its hot w/ my gear on. But on my 3rd try i end'd up parking the damn thing, by accident. I was out there for about an hour straight doin nothing but getting them up, riding them for a ways, then puttin them back down and now my wrists are killing me. But i've got it to where i can pop it up to BP 80% of the time.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Ho_Hey is a decent person

Learning 12's Man I know what your going through I just hit my bar 3 times now and the last time I almost had it till my finger fell off from covering the clutch and the bike got away from me so I busted my *** LOL oh well **** happens but from a guy who is learning I tell you what If I didn’t have a bar I would have looped it for sure so I would suggest buying a 12 bar before you go ***** to the walls. Oh yeah I am running -1 +4 and now am realizing turning my idle up to 3K really helps since I chopp the throttle too damn much now I dont chop it mearly as much and I am loving it! Good luck!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 PM

I've been there too. First time i ever tried em, if it hadn't of been for the bar, i'd had a lap full of bike, it has definately saved my *** a few times. I had to take a break for a while, so i got on the R6 and went and did some highway wheelies, and finally got it to where i could clutch that one up But tommorrow i'm gonna bust *** on the f4i somemore before it starts raining, plus i gotta send this cage back, so that gives me the perfect time to get the mount weld'd back on.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:55 AM

SMASHIOgsxr600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: learn 12s the easist way???

JUST SMASH THE TAIL, your going to get a 12 bar anyway if you want to 12 it, you wont flip unless you hit REALLY hard , just used your back brake and ease on it around 5mph........ :YEAH
Old 01-10-2005, 03:13 PM

nasty6r is an unknown quantity at this point

alright guy'z, it seems like no one is really answering tht true question how does he twelve like this
just kidding :YEAH first of all, buy, or build your own scrape bar. :YEAH Paul choiniere of the Green Mountain Outlaws built my "nasty6r" and it is caged, 12 barred, and steel uppered to f!@#! :YEAH thanks Paul, you're sick :YEAH
Listen stunt buddy, get on your bike after putting a 12 bar on it, powers makes a thin nasty 12 bar, check it out at powers bikeworks or cages google search it. whatever - take your bike from a dead stop almost-a damper will also aid in picking the bike up straight everytime, but hold your foot over the rear brake and be ready to use it. just barely apply the rear brake so it has pressure, then hold a steady 3000 - 4000 you'll know when you get it right but lock your f!@#ing wrist so the throttle doesn't move at all. this is where the ***** come in to play. you have to believe you're going to 12, rear brake and return successfully :YEAH :YEAH after holding the clutch in, let it out until you find the friction point right near the end when the clutch is almost all the way out. Practice holding the throttle while slipping the clutch only the last bit if you read me. so you roll up barely moving with the clutch out, pull the clutch just far enough in to stop crawling forward, now hold the throttle steady and slip the clutch out. listen to the guys in stunt videos or trailers to get your timing done because you can hear throttle then nothing and rear brake. you can turn up your idle when you get a little used to it but be careful to start. as far as your bike, 12 and crash, that's the only way you can ever be sick :
Old 01-10-2005, 11:42 PM

SMASHIOgsxr600 is an unknown quantity at this point

nasty6r summed it up right there........i still say learn with your plastic tail...if you hit the 12 bar too hard you are going for a ride......dont cut the concrete like a knife.....and make sure you got a cage.....learn from my mistake!!! reasoning of my name SMASHIO.....its just something we stunters do, some more than the other......crashing.....get used to it bud.. :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH
Old 01-20-2005, 12:41 PM

larry954rr is an unknown quantity at this point

true that dave need a custom cage if your gonna drop it from 12 or look inside your motor after the slider punches through larry the welder got the custom on lock down
Old 01-23-2005, 05:52 PM

reddawg65 is an unknown quantity at this point

see I got a problem i got a 03 r-6 and every time i have to hit it so smoothly and soft or my subframe will snap in half and ideas
Old 01-23-2005, 06:11 PM

reddawg... the 03-05 r6's are VERRRYY fragile..

Quick Reply: learn 12s the easist way???