Who hates Raptor carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 02:09 PM

Godfather1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Who hates Raptor carbs?

I DO I DO!!!

Ok, so I'm sure you have all heard about the tendency of the rap carbs to slip out of the flanges. My question is, who has the best/cheapest/easiest fix. I have thought about welding longer necks on the car so that the hose clamps have more to bite, but that is a last resort.

Are there any good aftermarket performance carbs out there that would be worth the money, and not have the same problem with the flange?

Help me please, my rap is missing the dirt.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:13 PM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts
Re: Who hates Raptor carbs?

Originally Posted by Godfather1138
I DO I DO!!!

Ok, so I'm sure you have all heard about the tendency of the rap carbs to slip out of the flanges. My question is, who has the best/cheapest/easiest fix. I have thought about welding longer necks on the car so that the hose clamps have more to bite, but that is a last resort.

Are there any good aftermarket performance carbs out there that would be worth the money, and not have the same problem with the flange?

Help me please, my rap is missing the dirt.

I have 2003 raptor and didnt had one bit problem at all but I know they had alot of problem from 00 to 02.

The only thing I hate the most is my front suspension.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:25 PM

Yep, mine is an '01.

What do you hate about the front?
Old 10-09-2004, 02:39 PM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts

Well , 03-04 raptor front suspension is really sucks and now they ll make a much better suspension for raptor probably 05-06 cuz alot of em ve been complaining about the suspension didnt go smooth ride when you make a curve and yet today , can you imagine that i flipped over today. Now you notice most of hondas n suzuki have a air ride in the front suspension that makes the ride go smooth. Now , I think it is time for me to get a new air suspension for my raptor. I haven't had a single problem with my raptor yet but about the carb , I think there is one aftermarket carbs for raptor which I will look for the link and send it to ya.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:42 PM

Thanks man

I haven't flipped mine yet b/c it has extended A arms...unfortunately that also makes it a little harder to get up on the side. My front feels pretty good. It's not too rough, not too soft, and very responsive.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:01 AM

QuantumFluxTRX is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never seen a Sport Quad with Air suspension, But yeah I agree I used to have a Raptor before I picked up my 270R..and I made up a complete Aluminum Undertail...here's a pic...it does allow you to put more pressure on the carbs....I do miss the Raptor for wheelies though cause the 270R is so stretched & widened that it's just for pure race now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha-Raptor.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	104044   Click image for larger version

Name:	250R-Internet.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	104045  
Old 10-17-2004, 11:26 AM

nice....both of them. What made you decide to do the undertail?

I think I have a temporary fix for my carb. I kinda glued the hoses on
Old 10-18-2004, 07:57 AM

I dunno it just came to me one day..lol, And I wanted to get rid of that stupid push on gasket filter & I wasn't happy with the Flange pro-design kit so I made it all polished aluminum from the carbs back & the whole battery Box....It looks pretty crazy when I get some reduced pics up I'll post some more so you can check it out..I am selling them on my site www.Atvjunkies.com. but haven't gotten around to finallizing any paper work to go with them..instructions etc......I just liked the look.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:54 PM

Coolio, I may be interested in one. I decided today that the stock taillight is Ãœber ghey.

The glue seems to be holding up great so far, but now I have a new problem...12's! I started scrapping last night, but every time it goes vertical it floods (expected, but didn't see it being as bad as it is). Any tips???
Old 10-18-2004, 05:35 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough

Run the raptor with 3/4+ in the fuel tank & put the gas on RESERVE. I had a 03 - would run on the 12 bar when I did that
Old 10-18-2004, 10:47 PM

I could 12 my Raptor, your Carb floats must be set too high so it pressureizes & floods...take your float bowls off & bend your floats down a little bit so they don't flood out...The best way to set your floats is to put a clear carb hose on the bowl drain & open the drain screws..then hold the hose up beside the float bowl & that will show you where your floats are set.Normally you'd set the float bowls up to just be even with the barb/float bowl seal Gasket..but if you want to stunt, just set them a little lower in the float bowl.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:27 PM

fudupf3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I have a temporary fix for my carb. I kinda glued the hoses on [/QUOTE]

GREAT IDEA>..Ive used that INDIAN HEAD gasket **** (dont know the technical name, but it comes in a reddish brown bottle.)on radiator hoses, heater cores,etc. on cars for years, never had one slip off..even with the junky stock pinch style clamps. I redid the carbs on an old VFR750 once, (#^(*&#@^( ...V4.. I had a boot that was a little worn out and it was a BITCH to get everything lined up again. I was worried about it, so i sealed the boots up with the "indian head gasket stuff"..It held fine for the couple years i owned the bike.. BAD PART WAS when the next owner tried to take the carbs off to clean them, he ruined the boots trying to get them unstuck. LOL.

as far as the 12 o' stalls, i have a 04 350 rappy i set the idle up pretty high, 3/4 tank, and run it on reserve too. I can miss the back brake on a high wheelie, fall completely off, and it keeps on chugging along on the "warped and bent up" factory rear bar. Very very rarely i will get a little sputter when i am down too low in the rpms and VERY high up .
Old 10-20-2004, 06:24 PM

Awsome! Thanks for all the help guys. I was hitting them better on monday b/c I cranked the idle way up, but it still stalled after being up there for more than 2-3sec. I'll try running the reserve and see what happens. Then I may dig into the carbs if it still wants to quit on me.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:49 PM

Ok, that plumbers GOOP crap is exactly that...crap. The carbs popped loose again last night and pissed me off beyond explination. They are now JB welded with zip-tie straps pulling the carb up and towards the block. If you can't do it right, do it ghetto. I will run this as long as it holds up and then it's going to the welding shop to add 1/4" to the necks. Yamaha really dissapointed me this time.