==Custom Grab Bar for the Z==

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Regular StuntLifer

z400WHAT is an unknown quantity at this point
==Custom Grab Bar for the Z==

I finally did it! Broke the stock grab bar off the Z! For those of you who don't know, Suzuki had this ingenious idea to make the grab bar and sub frame one piece. Well it doesn't last very long. Me and my dude both broke ours off. And since we didn't feel like forking over a ton of $ for a new sub frame, and something stronger was needed, a litte custom Fabrication took place. We just ran to Home Depot and scored some 5/8" Steel rod and welded it to the Sub frame. It's F**Kin indestructable! We'll bend the sub frame before we bend these bars! Let me know what you guys think.

Josh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	grab bar 1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	35575  
Old 09-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Two...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	grab bar 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	35576  
Old 09-26-2003, 07:34 PM

Reload Once is an unknown quantity at this point
dont look indestructable lol but nice job i bent mine a bit i try not to scrape nwel i little cuz i dont have any tools or money lol
Old 09-26-2003, 07:56 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Might wanna brace the subframe now, if the bar is stronger than it.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Naw, the bars enough. The only way I'd bend the sub frame is if I slammed it back real hard, and I don't do that. Just the occasional scraping action!

Josh
Old 09-27-2003, 04:54 AM

MartyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by z400WHAT
Naw, the bars enough. The only way I'd bend the sub frame is if I slammed it back real hard, and I don't do that. Just the occasional scraping action!

Josh

ummm.... yea i thought the same thing... till your doing a nice high speed coaster and it scrapes " a little" and then digs into the ground and next thing you know you got a flipped quad with a broke subframe... now i have no bar and my wheelies are better cause i know if i go to far its gonna be ugly.. only thing is i dont have anywhere to put my foot for them kinda tricks...
Old 09-27-2003, 09:21 AM
Regular StuntLifer

jdmimports79 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks pimp josh......im looking for something a little longer width wise so i can start pulling apehangers and cliff hangers without it tipping to one side.......let me know how it holds up

steve
Old 09-27-2003, 02:11 PM
Regular StuntLifer

I've put that thing back rollin in 5th gear standing on the seat and all it did was scrape. Not even a hint of wanting to "Dig into the Ground and Flip" It ain't goin nowhere and the sub frames not gonna bend. It was more or less just a Figure of Speech.

Steve- it holds up Excellent! But if you wanted to have a wider one, just make the Rear bar as long as you want and then brace it to the sub frame somehow. Get creative with it, you'll figure it out. Let me know what you come up with.

Josh
Old 09-27-2003, 07:57 PM

suprkrazed is an unknown quantity at this point
I did pretty much the same thing but used angle iron. My sub frame bent and i plan to gusset it somehow so it won't bend anymore. I suggest you do this because the subframes aren't that strong..
Old 09-28-2003, 03:07 PM

hindelk is an unknown quantity at this point
looks nice josh
Old 09-29-2003, 03:40 PM

600stunnin is an unknown quantity at this point
blingR6

The subframe already has gussets from the factory. The grab bar always starts to bend right before the gussets, and after numerous scrapes it will usually brake off. The bar was welded right above the gussets top and bottom, 4 welds, 2inch beads. If you bend the whole subframe you have issues.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:38 PM

Hazen is a decent person
400what,

Suzuki didn't have the ingenious idea of making the grab bar part of the subframe. Honda did. Suzuki just copied it well.

-Hazen
Old 09-29-2003, 07:49 PM

suprkrazed is an unknown quantity at this point
Sh*t i got issues because i bent my subframe about half way down. Ill post you some pics. I dont hit the bar hard much, well ok when i was learning 12's i hit it a lot. But i couldn't believe it bent.....
Old 09-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Originally posted by Hazencvb
400what,

Suzuki didn't have the ingenious idea of making the grab bar part of the subframe. Honda did. Suzuki just copied it well.

-Hazen

Well then Shame on Suzuki for Copying a Crappy Idea!

Josh

p.s.- I'm not knockin' EX's in any way, so please don't take any offense to that
Old 09-30-2003, 05:10 AM

well i didnt bend the subframe i broke it... mostly tho cause the stupid *** press in nuts that yamaha used to attach the grab bar... well one little tap on bar and they would loosen up... think this is what mainly caused my problem... the bar was slightly loose so when it scraped that instant torque was too much for it...
Old 09-30-2003, 07:31 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Did you do that on your 450 or a previous quad of yours? How do you like the 450?

Josh
Old 09-30-2003, 04:33 PM

on the 450... and i love it, its fast, wheelies and can jump what more can you ask for??
Old 10-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Regular StuntLifer

So you just roll w/out a Bar? Do you plan on coming up with a better way to Fasten it on or just say F**K it and keep it Gangsta!

Josh
Old 10-03-2003, 03:58 AM

keeping it gangsta!!!.... honestly my wheelies are better... cause i dont have the confidence of hitting the bar and not looping it so therefore im more carefull and think better... BUT i might weld something up cause i do miss doing tricks with my foot/feet in the bar so im sure it will take a nice loop and then ill do something...
Old 10-07-2003, 04:19 AM

Diviniti is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ==Custom Grab Bar for the Z==

Originally posted by z400WHAT
I finally did it! Broke the stock grab bar off the Z! For those of you who don't know, Suzuki had this ingenious idea to make the grab bar and sub frame one piece. Well it doesn't last very long. Me and my dude both broke ours off. And since we didn't feel like forking over a ton of $ for a new sub frame, and something stronger was needed, a litte custom Fabrication took place. We just ran to Home Depot and scored some 5/8" Steel rod and welded it to the Sub frame. It's F**Kin indestructable! We'll bend the sub frame before we bend these bars! Let me know what you guys think.

Josh
Isnt the sub made of aluminum? How do you weld Steel to aluminum

Quick Reply: ==Custom Grab Bar for the Z==