Rear Brake Problem On My 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Location: The Roughest Ghetto In The World (Ramadi, Iraq) USMC
fabes can only hope to improve
Rear Brake Problem On My 400ex

So I got a quad not too long ago. The guy that I got it from said the rear brakes are fucked up on it. The rear caliper was leaking and there was no pressure when you hit the rear brake. So I bought a new one rear caliper and installed it. That didn't fix the problem. I still have no pressure to the rear brake when I apply pressure to the brake lever. I made sure that there was fluid in the res. I undid the brake like to the master cylinder, pushed down on the brake lever to see if the cylinder was putting out pressure, and it was. I connected the the brake line to the master cylinder (making sure the hole on the bolt was aligned with the hole on the brake line). I pumped the brake and again, no pressure. Then I undid the bolt from the rear caliper that connects to the brake line. Pumped the lever and no fluid was coming out. So I connected it back up, but leaving the bolt a little lose. Pumped it again, and I could hear some air coming out. Tightend the bolt all the way down ( making sure the hole in the bolt and the hole in the brake line were aligned). Pumped and nothing happened. Then tried to bleed and nothing. Anyone have any ideas? The washers to the bolt that connects the line to the caliper have seals on them. The washers that connect the line to the master doesn't have any seals on them. Could that be a problem?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:24 PM

cjstunts is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rear Brake Problem On My 400ex

the holes will align themselves, but when you bleed, try to hold the lever down, and crack the line connected to the master a few times. then just work your way back. otherwise you have a bad master cylinder.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Location: The Roughest Ghetto In The World (Ramadi, Iraq) USMC
fabes can only hope to improve

Thanks I will try that tomorrow. But when I did take the line off the master. I put my thumb over the hole on top of the master and pumped the brakes. It built up pressure with my thumb on it. But I will try what you said tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 AM
soon to be retired

ExtremeAcres is an unknown quantity at this point

you need to bleed the brake properly...it sounds like you havent done that yet. I'm guessing there's still way too much air in the system.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah your description made it sound like you didnt properly bleed the brakes....even just a little bit of air will reek havoc on a brake system.