CDI Rev Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:57 PM

BusyP3109 is an unknown quantity at this point
CDI Rev Box

Does anyone have a CDI Rev Box or Big Gun Rev Box on their quad? Its an aftermarket CDI that gives you more horsepower and speed. Is anyone using this set up?

Let me know what you think?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person
Re: CDI Rev Box

Remeber that song by Siliva? ...Click-Click-Boom!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

z400doawheelie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KUTZ
Remeber that song by Siliva? ...Click-Click-Boom!
not if you got the right **** behind that biotch......

Old 03-14-2006, 02:02 PM

BIGfugginRED is an unknown quantity at this point

correct me if im wrong but i thought u only got higher RPM curves from boxes? not HP or speed.

and i don't know what the "right ****" is to make it work right.

I got one, not sure of the brand, but i think they all take ur RPM curve up to 1100rpm's. I think they're made for like, say you install a full exhaust on your quad, it gives you increased acceleration so your gears seem shorts, wind out faster, etc. the rev box is made to go with these mods to kinda balance your gears back out, it doesn't actually have anything to do with your gears, it just lets you rev em out a lil farther.

MY THOUGHTS ON BOXES---some people don't think they're safe cuz they go past the factory suggested rev limits, but i think thats just factory BS. if we're gonna keep the same boxes, let's keep the same exhausts, filters, hell even those flick-me-and-i'll-bend handlebars.

BOXES ARE SAFE, BUT NOT USEFUL BY THEMSELVES
Old 03-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person

Just so you all know... Your stock rev box surpases the rpm level at which your cam is turning so fast that the valve springs cannot keep up with it. This is also the point where you start to lose torque and horsepower due to the fact. Beyond this point is only harmfull to your motor. I'm not saying its going to blow up but it is going to wear out your valve train much faster not to mention how hard it is on your piston rings and crank bearings. If you got the power and want your gears stretched out longer they sell front sprokets for less than $20!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:55 PM

I know CDI's are huge for the Rocket circuit cause I have put a PC3 in the f4I, but i always see them for quads and was wondering if people were actualy using Higher RPM CDI Boxes. I will def have to look intio this more. Anyone else have some ideas let me know!!
Old 03-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

Originally Posted by BIGfugginRED
correct me if im wrong but i thought u only got higher RPM curves from boxes? not HP or speed.

and i don't know what the "right ****" is to make it work right.

I got one, not sure of the brand, but i think they all take ur RPM curve up to 1100rpm's. I think they're made for like, say you install a full exhaust on your quad, it gives you increased acceleration so your gears seem shorts, wind out faster, etc. the rev box is made to go with these mods to kinda balance your gears back out, it doesn't actually have anything to do with your gears, it just lets you rev em out a lil farther.

MY THOUGHTS ON BOXES---some people don't think they're safe cuz they go past the factory suggested rev limits, but i think thats just factory BS. if we're gonna keep the same boxes, let's keep the same exhausts, filters, hell even those flick-me-and-i'll-bend handlebars.

BOXES ARE SAFE, BUT NOT USEFUL BY THEMSELVES

i always thought( )that if you want one of those, you need to bore it, get cams, a carb, and an exhaust......well atleast that was what i was figuring on.......
Old 03-14-2006, 04:06 PM

I read somewhere that you can put them on a stock engine and it wouldnt ruin anything. I dont know though cause you would def think it would work the engine more.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

Originally Posted by BusyP3109
I read somewhere that you can put them on a stock engine and it wouldnt ruin anything. I dont know though cause you would def think it would work the engine more.
oh im sure it would, its just that i probably wouldnt fool with it until i built the immortal dogshit out of the wheeler

dyna fs makes a proggramable one for nitrous and boost control......seems like the way to go to me.........

Old 03-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Forget that!!! You will never catch me putting nitrous on any of my quads or toys. I have seen what nitrous does to a car. i cant imagine being on a bike when that blows!!!!
Old 03-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

Originally Posted by BusyP3109
Forget that!!! You will never catch me putting nitrous on any of my quads or toys. I have seen what nitrous does to a car. i cant imagine being on a bike when that blows!!!!

not for the nitrous........nitrous is like my wheelies...GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!just that the timing curve(s) is programmable, i dont know a whole lot about tuning, but i do figure you could do better if you had a good tech tune it for your specific quad, instead of a universal box........

Old 03-14-2006, 07:56 PM

KEVSF4I is an unknown quantity at this point

Pauli...I'm with BIGfugginRED and Kutz on this one. It isn't going to give you any more power or speed...just work the RPM higher and likely push the motor to an RPM where the motor and/or cams will not be working efficiently. Even with the full exhaust and racing carb you got on this thing. Not to mention...higher RPMS are gonna create more heat...and you my friend are air cooled. Don;t need to be cookin the bacon between your legs son, you might need that some day

But I'm all in on the sprocket changes, I know what that can do for you! :YEAH
Old 03-15-2006, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by KEVSF4I
Pauli...I'm with BIGfugginRED and Kutz on this one. It isn't going to give you any more power or speed...just work the RPM higher and likely push the motor to an RPM where the motor and/or cams will not be working efficiently. Even with the full exhaust and racing carb you got on this thing. Not to mention...higher RPMS are gonna create more heat...and you my friend are air cooled. Don;t need to be cookin the bacon between your legs son, you might need that some day

But I'm all in on the sprocket changes, I know what that can do for you! :YEAH
Well i guess this post can be thrown away. If my mechanic says no, then its a NO!! I just am always looking to get a little more out of the quad.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person

Originally Posted by KEVSF4I
Don't need to be cookin the bacon between your legs son, you might need that some day
Always looking out...
Old 03-15-2006, 05:53 PM

You cant ask anymore out of your mechanic..HAHAH!!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person

Unless your mechanic was a female then you may be able to get a free lube job every now and then
Old 03-16-2006, 08:31 PM

Tireguy405 is an unknown quantity at this point

Won't benefit from a rev box on a stock motor.I didn't add a rev box till i installed stage2 hot cams(exhaust,jetting,and air box mods done first).Installing aftermarket cams will change the power curve. To take full advantage of the cams the rev limit needs to be bumped up a little which is where the rev box comes in.And as someone noted stock valve springs will float.For you Z400 owners wanting to do any mods like this all parts on the DRZ are interchageable(cams,springs,rev box)same motor,but the DRZ is a little hotter set up.I myself went with the hot cams stage2,drz valve springs,drz base gasket(bump up the compression).Rev box with this combo and full exhaust was a huge difference.Rev box works flawlessly,but i decided to stunt insted and now this is all a waste. lol
Old 03-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

Originally Posted by Tireguy405
Won't benefit from a rev box on a stock motor.I didn't add a rev box till i installed stage2 hot cams(exhaust,jetting,and air box mods done first).Installing aftermarket cams will change the power curve. To take full advantage of the cams the rev limit needs to be bumped up a little which is where the rev box comes in.And as someone noted stock valve springs will float.For you Z400 owners wanting to do any mods like this all parts on the DRZ are interchageable(cams,springs,rev box)same motor,but the DRZ is a little hotter set up.I myself went with the hot cams stage2,drz valve springs,drz base gasket(bump up the compression).Rev box with this combo and full exhaust was a huge difference.Rev box works flawlessly,but i decided to stunt insted and now this is all a waste. lol
i'll buy it all from you........you can have my stock stuff after i purchase yours