Shortening ATV Exhausts (Please Respond)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 AM

BusyP3109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shortening ATV Exhausts (Please Respond)

Well lets start off that I have been stunting a 1999 Yamaha Warrior 350 out here in the Chi. The problem that I am having is that the 12 bars offered for this quad are weak and bend to easily. I go thru to many bars to keep on this path. I decided to go with AC Racing 12 bar which is shorter then any stock bar offered.

This is where I need to know if cutting down my exhuast and shortening it is a good idea. Does anyone have this done? Have you heard of this on quads? What do you think? Please let me know cause I am in need of some desperate knowledge on this before I go hacking away HAHA.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:50 AM

juzslidin has a spectacular aura aboutjuzslidin has a spectacular aura about
Re: Shortening ATV Exhausts (Please Respond)

good luck cutting the factory exhaust . i have no idea how to do that . id just get a aftermarket slip on and cut that . look around ebay for a used one . or just make a longer bar .
Old 02-28-2006, 12:01 PM

Yea sorry I forgot to put that info in there for you guys. I have a Full Yoshimura RS-3 system on my quad. Thats why I am trying to get some info. I dont want to just go and cut it without knowing something. The head piece has allen bolts so i should be able to cut it down and refit bolts into it or just rivet the head cap back on.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by BusyP3109
Yea sorry I forgot to put that info in there for you guys. I have a Full Yoshimura RS-3 system on my quad. Thats why I am trying to get some info. I dont want to just go and cut it without knowing something. The head piece has allen bolts so i should be able to cut it down and refit bolts into it or just rivet the head cap back on.
Do a search, I gave a step by step at one point. Search exhaust for my username. Replace the allen heads with rivits or drill and retap.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:20 PM

Yea I saw your post. I also caught BeyDogs that was out there. If BeyDog see's this post how did your exhaust turn out? Did you do anything special or just basically cut and rivet? People let me know what you think out there. Thanks NINER!!!:YEAH
Old 02-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Yea I saw your post. I also caught BeyDogs that was out there. If BeyDog see's this post how did your exhaust turn out? Did you do anything special or just basically cut and rivet? People let me know what you think out there. Thanks NINER!!!:YEAH
It looks like stock. Just cut and rivet. Secret is to cut the baffle the same amout as the outer pipe so you don't blow out all the packing.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:33 PM

Catman will become famous soon enough

Does it scrape the ground before your grab bar does ????
On Most of them they don't
Old 02-28-2006, 05:50 PM

Yea its scraping the ground. Like i was saying in my first description the stock was long enough. But the stock bar on the warrior is weak. I was spending $65 every time i went riding because i would destroy the bar. so i went and got an AC Racing bar but its shorter. But i know this bar wont bend on contact its alot stronger. So my options arent much....Keep using the stock bars and go thru a bar a ride and spend money, or try cuttin down the exhaust. Thats where I am at right now. What to do? Catman have u seen people cut down exhausts by you?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:15 PM

Catman will become famous soon enough

Yea its scraping the ground. Like i was saying in my first description the stock was long enough. But the stock bar on the warrior is weak. I was spending $65 every time i went riding because i would destroy the bar. so i went and got an AC Racing bar but its shorter. But i know this bar wont bend on contact its alot stronger. So my options arent much....Keep using the stock bars and go thru a bar a ride and spend money, or try cuttin down the exhaust. Thats where I am at right now. What to do? Catman have u seen people cut down exhausts by you?

Not on quads but on bikes yes ! I don't think you will run into any problems though. I have seen it done and doesn't look like anything except cut the pipe to shorten it and rivet or screw the cap back on ??
I realy haven't had a problem with the pipe hitting the ground or i would have probably done it already too....... good luck with it bro

I would suggest practiceing setting it on the bar a little easier one way to practice that is pull that ***** up as high as you can and try to just barely touch the bar or see how close you can get without hitting it, or a coaster wheelie and then you will be able to set it there nice and easy.

makes a nice shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuush sound it's realy cool !!!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:34 PM

Peeweesp is an unknown quantity at this point

Make a custom bar from thick *** steal, thats what most here have done, most after market bars are aluminium and are a big waist for what we do with them lol
Old 02-28-2006, 11:04 PM

I made one but the welds just werent dtrong enough. I am still learning to weld but i guess i can get my bro to make me one. I still dont think its goingto be as strong as the one I have now. I still think I might shorten the can.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person

Drive an hour north and I'll weld it for you then you can come stunt with us too!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 PM

Kutz thats one thing I am always down for. Where in WI are you guys? I have a house in Adams County on Castle Rock Lake.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person

I live in Whitewater its about a half hour north east of Janesville. Castle Rock Island is up by the Dells isn't it? Nice lets do it sometime either spot, we got some sweet spots to ride right in downtown Racine too, there's 3 Mx tracks all conected by a system of Ghetto *** trails and a railroad we like to hit up!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:32 AM

toby is an unknown quantity at this point

yo if you were smart you would screw messin wit the exhaust and make your own custom 12 bar. It's a piece of cake.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:53 AM

My aftermarket exhaust sticks out farther then any other type you can get. The bars we were welding together were long in length due ot this. No matter what you do the length issue is what makes the bar weak and bendable. Either way it should be a quick and easy fix.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person

Huh ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Peice of cake.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	165732  
Old 03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person

Your subframe will still be weaker than any 12 bar you make so don't worry about bending the 12 bar or the exaust worry about breaking your frame.

Or get your tricks off the bar with brake control
Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 PM

I had all of the rear welds reinforced by a body shop by me called Central AutoBody. Some of you may have seen them at the supercycle show and motorcycle show in Chicago and other states. He told me he had a way to reinforce welds so they never break. Since then i havent had any problems with the frame. Its always been the bar thats bent. On the warrior there is four tabs that hold the bar into position. Tis tabs are perfectly square on the quad for maximum strength. I havent bent or destroyed one tab yet.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Hey Kutz where are you in WI?

Quick Reply: Shortening ATV Exhausts (Please Respond)