Old 02-27-2006, 11:37 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

SeeMyZWheelie can only hope to improve
ice races in NH

Despite bitter cold, vehicles fall through thin ice at Lebanon races

By JOHN QUINN
Democrat Staff Writer
jquinn@fosters.com

From right, Assistant Lebanon Rescue Chief Jason Cole, Fire Lt. Joe Perron, firefighters Adam Prince and Steve Coursey observe a 1997 Ford Expedition slowly sink into Northeast Pond along Sewell Shores Road Sunday afternoon. The driver and three passengers escaped uninjured after the rear of the vehicle broke through the ice. (Quinn/Democrat Photo)

LEBANON, Maine — Despite the recent bitterly cold weather, fire and rescue personnel are continuing to warn residents not to trust the ice on the region's lakes and rivers after a pickup truck and at least five snowmobiles broke through Northeast Pond on Sunday.

The snowmobiles and pickup went through the ice on the outskirts of an ice racing event for trucks and cars held this weekend near Mi-Te-Jo Campground along Townhouse Road in Milton.

Although members of the Lebanon Rescue Squad and Milton Fire and Rescue Department had tested the thickness of the pond's ice where the New England Ice Racing Association event took place, the surrounding area where the snowmobiles and pickup broke through contained numerous open water areas, especially along the shore.

"Everyone needs to continue to use extreme caution when entering any ice. The area where the races were held was safe, but most of the lake is still really dangerous," Assistant Lebanon Rescue Chief Jason Cole said.

Milton Fire Chief Andy Lucier added the races were shut down early after water began seeping onto the track late Sunday afternoon.

Northeast Pond, which the Salmon Falls River runs through, has depths of about three to five feet.

Lucier said he believes all the snowmobiles, which all sank in separate incidents, have been removed from the water, but N.H. Fish & Game officials, who responded later in the day, are handling the investigations. He added the snowmobile riders were able to escape without injury.

About 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, a Milton police officer noticed a 1997 Ford Expedition, driven by a Henry Elliott, 23, of Ossipee, N.H., had broken through the ice about 200 feet from the shore near Sewell Shores Road.

Elliott's vehicle was traveling a short distance from the ice race track. The pickup driver and his three passengers were able to exit the vehicle before Milton firefighters and Rescue Squad personnel reached the scene, Cole said. No injuries were reported.

The rear of the truck, including the gas tank, broke through the ice first as it continued to sink further into the lake.

Firefighters from Lebanon and Milton went to the incident, but determined there was no way to immediately extract the truck from the water because of its distance from shore.

"This was open water two days ago," Lucier said.

Cole said the Maine Warden Service, which responded around 2:30 p.m., could issue fines for each day the truck remains in the lake. He added the owner is responsible to remove the truck.

"It gets expensive at this point," Cole said.

Lucier said he believed the truck was still stuck in the ice as of today.

A total of five snowmobiles were reported to have gone through the lake's ice on the Milton side, Lucier said.

The unseasonably warm winter delayed the annual ice races, which require at least a foot of ice to occur. Organizers determined there was an average of 13 inches of ice, but there were numerous locations with open water in the area, especially near the shore.

Hundreds of spectators were drawn to the ice racing event and numerous vehicles were parked around the racetrack on Northeast Pond,

The New England Ice Racing Association donated all proceeds from Saturday races to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. As of 1999, they have donated about $20,000 to the nonprofit organization.

Internet Services Provided by

Make Foster's Your Home Page

© 2006 Geo. J. Foster Company
Old 02-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person
Re: ice races in NH

Wow a snowmobile is 1/10th the the wieght/surface area of a human walking so if 5 sleds fell in why would you drive a truck out there.

This wasn't you was it?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:43 AM

no, i dont drive anything that nice..
mine is an 88 blazer, that was a 97 expedition
Old 02-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Quad Ridin Ninja

KUTZ is a decent person

Bringing a whole new meaning to the word Expedition

Yeah you were doing wheelies around the submerged expedition right
Old 02-27-2006, 12:29 PM

nah, i didnt even bring my quad up there...
I went up to plow, and my buddy came up with his Denali and Thule enclosed heated trailer... it was a good time...
i went home to grab the quad, and the track started taking on water while i was gone, so they cleared the ice, and i didnt make it back...
o well, i woulda been cold anyways...