New to quads, few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 PM

2BIT RDRZ is an unknown quantity at this point
New to quads, few ?s

Want to start entry level with possibly a 250 EX, or something from the Honda line. Pros or cons of the new HOnda sport clutch on the 250.
My 6 yr old son has a Eton Viper 70, want to get the rest of the family involved in riding. We all have riding experience, but want something my girl can feel comfortable on, not a quad that will be scary fast to her.
I will do a variety of riding like light trails and some stunting, so any input is appreciated on models or prices.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:11 PM

Speedy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New to quads, few ?s

i would suggest more than a 250.. most start on 300-400cc quads..
Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 AM

gusgreenwall is an unknown quantity at this point

i would start the kids on something like a lakota....
Good quad not crazy power but enough for them to
grow into for a bit.....good luck
Old 02-22-2006, 10:39 AM

SVDragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2BIT RDRZ
Want to start entry level with possibly a 250 EX, or something from the Honda line. Pros or cons of the new HOnda sport clutch on the 250.
My 6 yr old son has a Eton Viper 70, want to get the rest of the family involved in riding. We all have riding experience, but want something my girl can feel comfortable on, not a quad that will be scary fast to her.
I will do a variety of riding like light trails and some stunting, so any input is appreciated on models or prices.
Z400 and by the kids there own.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Regular StuntLifer

UpOnOneATL is an unknown quantity at this point

The 250 is actually a pretty fun quad to mess around on. I don't know if the SportClutch gimmick is really necessary...I'd prolly go with a 01-05 model. However, there is a reason everyone recommends the 400s. Get a 250 for your woman and a 400 for you.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Cathi will become famous soon enoughCathi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by UpOnOneATL

Being the beginner quad rider 2 years ago, i was really freaked about riding the pred500... was WAY scary fast for me... so i settled for the 250... i think that's a great one .. maybe not polaris.. but, not something that can do near 70 mph topped out... plus, when she masters the 250 she can happily move on to bigger and better... and with the 250, it was not hard to figure out how to jump and handle its speed...

I got my Daughter a pred 90, and she loved it... now she has moved on to lesser wheels being a 70...
I then got my son a Pred50... and he really wasnt much into riding it after crashing into a tree at an off road park... So, i learned how to wheelie it and then sold it so he could try honda z50 with training wheels... gotta get him started somewhere ... heehhe ...

Last edited by Cathi; 02-22-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 PM

Catman will become famous soon enough

^^^^^ she's way cooL man !! ^^^^^
Old 02-22-2006, 08:10 PM

gusgreenwall is an unknown quantity at this point

I second that
Old 02-23-2006, 12:39 AM

2BIT RDRZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input from all who replied. My kid is all set with the viper 70, that thing actually rocks pretty hard for a 2 stroke kids quad, just gotta fit my girl onto something user friendly and see where we go from there.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Cathi will become famous soon enoughCathi will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input from all who replied. My kid is all set with the viper 70, that thing actually rocks pretty hard for a 2 stroke kids quad, just gotta fit my girl onto something user friendly and see where we go from there.

sounds like a great plan.. definately gotta start somewhere... i bet she will love it and want somethin with more *umph* later on... i am "THINKING" about tryin to sell mine and gettin something with the b*lls to jump a lil higher... we have an awesome off road park close by and would LOVE to have something with a lil more speed... until then i will focus on gettin my fiddy together... *rollin my eyes*

besides, rockin a quad on the streets at night is a little bit more "looked down upon" than a lil fiddy... hehehe...
Old 02-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

z400doawheelie is an unknown quantity at this point

my first quad was a 300ex...i got her when i was 11(thatll make any kid happy) it was a good first......for my fat self atleast, i rode the crap outta it to...
the 70 seems like a good choice tho....
Old 02-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Quad Ridin Ninja

z400doawheelie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SVDragon
Z400 and by the kids there own.
damb straight.....Z's the only way to go
Old 02-24-2006, 10:53 AM

BIGfugginRED is an unknown quantity at this point

z400 is not the only way to go... awesome bike but not the best by far.

i will say don't get the 250EX!!!!!!!!! its not a manly quad, maybe a fun lil fun to play around on (if its your woman's) but you'd ride it for a day and wish u got the 300 or 400ex. i promise you. the craving for more power never stops for as long as you ride. (thats why people put cbr1000 engines in quad frames.)

woods and stunt go with 400EX or Z400... everybody on here's on the z400 BANDWAGON but talk to a honda fan and they'll convince you that hondas never die!!!! i think you'll like either, but for the record the Z is a lil faster.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:33 PM

gixxerguy6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok lets see if I can help out with Josh's(2bitrdr) explaination of wut he is going to do with the quad.

He and I are going to be using the quads for the same thing(I think). When you jump on it you wheelie, get out and ride woods, trails, fields....................ride around with your son on his ETON viper 70....He is short like me lol, I'm 5-6 230lb(going to be slimming down as well)And there are the times that we will jump on them and go to the dunes or do the woods and go have a rip roaring good time without the kid or the wive's

I myself I have rode a 03 250ex and it seemed cool... I have rode a 03 Rincon 4x4 it had good power but was a 4x4 not sport. I jumped on a buddies 01 400ex that had a 440 kit in it and and it just seemed way too fast for me....1st 2nd and 3rd gear it was lifting the front end in the air without any effort at all. I'm not a sissy just want something i can feel like i'm riding instead of it's driving me.

I want something that will have the power to clutch it up in 3rd gear, but still be smooth and controlled for the trails, woods, dunes, and fields and my backyard(2 acres)

and I am liking the 3100 price tag on the new 250ex, local dealer wanted 5400 for 06 400ex. Don't want a big payment, and i don't want to totally depleat the savings account to buy a quad either.

Those are my and I think that Josh will pretty much agree with it.