Best MX Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:56 PM

jays warrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Best MX Tires.

I'm thinkin about turnin my warrior into mx. I know it's a waste of money but I want a dirt bike, but also a quad that my fiance and i can both ride on, so I figured this would be the best of both worlds without spending a whole lot of money. I need new tires for sure, and I just want to reuse my wheels. I was looking at holeshots and razrs. Which one is better, or if there is a tire better than either for a good price let me know. Thanks.

Jay
Old 01-28-2005, 10:22 AM

raptorchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best MX Tires.

Personally, I prefer Turf Tamers for mx. They are very light tires, and you can notch them out however you want to make your own tread pattern. Plus they last a really long time compared to others. Holeshots are awesome, but they are a softer compound and wear down quickly. I haven't used razr's, so I don't really have an opinion on those.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:48 AM

TimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to behold

my stock dunlops have held up mighty well...as of now though, they look like slicks haha. damn street riding, but they were great in the dirt. ive never heard anything bad about the razrs, but i hear razr 2's wear faster.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:13 PM

JR35 is an unknown quantity at this point

haha dont run stockers for mx. In my mx experiences it depends on the track conditions i have a few sets of tires. my personal favorite are the kenda klaw mxfs and mxrs very good 4 ply tire hold up for a long time for me racing almost every weekend. u can switch them for hard packed and loomy track conditions just by switching the sides. i use to run razzr mx tires good hold up fine. but on a well good hard packed track nothing beats a set of grooved turf tamers but if the track is a lil sloppy they will suck. so id go with the kendas and for mx all the sizes are 18 inch i just metioned. ive ran all of those tires
Old 01-28-2005, 07:01 PM

Catman will become famous soon enough

I've had good luck with razrs.I also have to keep tires on the wife and kids bikes and you can't beat the price.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:03 PM

supaman750 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have to agree with the kenda bust all aroundcan go from dirt to caly to sand.but it also depends on the track like southwick in mass witch relly sandy mxr are what i perfer but some hard packed tracks i will use kenda
Old 01-28-2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Catmandoo
I've had good luck with razrs.I also have to keep tires on the wife and kids bikes and you can't beat the price.
yes the regualr razzr tires are good for all around use. but on a mx track the nobbies get chjewed up and torn etc. Maxxis mnakes the razzr mx tire just for mx very good same reliability as the regualr razzrs but made for mx
Old 01-28-2005, 08:12 PM

pic of a 4ooex with grooved tamers
Old 01-29-2005, 09:57 AM

I guess I should clarify, which will probably make everyone hate me. The track that I've ridden at is very hard but after a rain has a few muddy places around. So a good siping tire would be good in case there is mud. When my fiance and I ride, there is basically everything, mud, sand, hardpack, grass. I don't want to spend a lot of money on different tires for each. I remember the kenda klaws now from a magazine and those look interesting. Anyone know a price for say 20x11x9 or so?
Old 01-29-2005, 04:16 PM

For a price check rocky mutain atv they have the cheapest tire prices the kendas would be your best bet. Becvause the tamers suck wen it gets sloppy but if you are gonna be mxing i strongly suggest 18 inch instead of 20. If you are getting new rims to then get 18s because you could throw on your stockers when you go regular riding.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:39 AM

I don't plan on racing, just going for fun to hit some jumps. If 18s aren't too small (the place is more of a supercross type track, not necessarily mx) I guess I could get them, but I was thinkin 20s because I have 22s now and want just a little better accel than what I have now. I just bought new stock sprockets and a chain, or else I'd gear down. I don't want to run out of gear, or shift a whole lot. I'll check out rocky mountain for the prices. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:39 AM

diescared is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought razrs at rockymountain, I ride in clay and grass and I'm not complaining about them...
Old 01-31-2005, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by warrior_jay
I don't plan on racing, just going for fun to hit some jumps. If 18s aren't too small (the place is more of a supercross type track, not necessarily mx) I guess I could get them, but I was thinkin 20s because I have 22s now and want just a little better accel than what I have now. I just bought new stock sprockets and a chain, or else I'd gear down. I don't want to run out of gear, or shift a whole lot. I'll check out rocky mountain for the prices. Thanks.
No problem. The smaller the tire the more bottom end and that is what you nedd for mx thats why i was insisting that. But if you are just gonna run the practice track you should be fine with 20s.