Redline Xtreme Photo Gallery
www.Redline-Xtreme.com
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Another 900RR Question (Fuel Tank Hoses)?

Old 03-26-2004, 08:42 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Another 900RR Question (Fuel Tank Hoses)?

After putting the 900 back together it will not start. It sounds like it is not getting gas. I was wondering if I hooked the fuel/vacumm hoses up incorrectly.?. The items in picture #1 are COMPLETELY out of the bike/not connected. They were not hooked up when I tore down the bike, so I figured it would be ok to leave them out. Are these hoses important or needed for the bike to run?

The small thin hose labeled by #2 is connected directly to thin tab underneath the tank next to the large one that is used for the overflow. I have the thin hose connected to the carburetors currently. From the picture at RonAyers it looks like it should be connected to the small tab on the petcock for air pressure of some sort instead of how I have it.?.

Also, where is the fuel pump located on the 97' 900....is there one?

Anybody know for sure where these hoses connects to please reply. Thanks! I will post up some pics of how I have it connected currently in a bit.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Yea...I got that!

Reckless01 is a decent person
Re: Another 900RR Question (Fuel Tank Hoses)?

yes theres a fuel pump its on the left side by where the rear engine mount is you can almost see it through the lil diamond shaped hole in the frame...the hoses you showed were vent hoses 1 is the one that lets water/fuel out of the filler head out and the other one is the vapor vent hose...they dont "have" to be hooked up for the bike to run...jimmy try this....take the fuel tank off and take the fuel inlet hose off (the one that runs to the carb fuel rail) now get some gas in a can or bottle with a "squirt" type nozzle (like the kind they use for thick gear oil so its easy to squirt into the tranny or rear end) its kinda like a lil funnel...spray fuel in to that line....you will notice that it takes some fuel....now dont squeeze too hard you may overfill the bowls, they are rated at like 3-4psi so dont over do it....when it becomes a lil difficult to squeeze you will know they have fuel....now pull the choke and run the motor over....it should start....thatll let you know the engine is hooked up ok.....now be careful when you turn the engine over....the fuel pump (if working) will shoot fuel out the unconnected end....its a percussion pump so when you run the starter you should be able to feel it "pulse" if you are touching it...thatll tell you if thats working....now that thats out of the way check to see that fuel is being delivered to the pump via the peticock (SP?) place a pan under the tank and turn the switch on....fuel should pour.....if it dont check the vents under the bottom....sometimes those stupid lil dirt wasps will build a nest in open hose nozzles and that wont allow air into the tank which is not going to allow the fuel to flow.....if that dont work gimmie a call ill help ya out to the best of my ability....my hands are killin me so ill end this ....hope that helps you out man..
Old 03-26-2004, 11:07 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

Thanks for the Info James! I found out that the 96-97's do not have a fuel pump...weird.

Yet, my bad luck continues. I fixed the gas problem and the bike runs fine, HOWEVER I have a few problems with the Cylinder head cover. See the below pic. I take it I will probably need to drill out the broken bolt, or if I am lucky it can get to the broken screw with a pair of vice grips. The leak I am hoping can be fixed by fixing the bolt and resealing it. Either way I now have to drop the damn engine again .

Old 03-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Yea...I got that!

Reckless01 is a decent person

wow that is weird???? mine has one.....well if it dont have a fuel pump then its gonna be a vacum issue.....i would look where those hoses go....they prollay go onto the intake just under the carbs somewhere....thats the case on my buddys "Vacum pumped" f2 in this case YES those hoses will be important....the oil leak should be able to be fixed pretty simple....try to fix that bolt and if you can use some silicone gasket sealer to fill in anywhere the gasket is damaged thatll work...if at all possile change the gasket itll save you time in the long run..best of luck to ya bro....if you need any help im off work for a week....my lil girl was born on the 24th so ill be helping momma around for awhile....
Old 03-26-2004, 11:27 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

Originally Posted by Reckless01
My lil girl was born on the 24th so ill be helping momma around for awhile....
Damn...congrats man !!! Hopefully you have a healthy baby girl and the mother is doing good after the birth.

Congrats Again!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:11 PM

JONESER is a decent person

Originally Posted by Reckless01
my lil girl was born on the 24th so ill be helping momma around for awhile....
CONGRATS BRO!!!!!!!!!

James, mine has a fuel pump too, but Jimmy's doesn't. I saw it for myself...
I have also seen some '94's without a fuel pump. I have a buddy that had that vacuum problem with his F2. The little vacuum line came off the block and the gas wouldn't flow...Took me about 2 fukin' hours to figure it out!
Let me ax you a question. Why would I have to choke my bike ALL the time when I start it cold? It doesn't matter if it's 80* outside...If it has sat for an hour or more, I have to choke the **** outta it.
BTW Jimmy, my bike has ran and NOT died since I left your house the otherday. I guess that gas treatment worked to clean out something...

Jimmy, glad you got it running...sucks about the leak though.
Did you ever get the axle bolt in?

LATERS
Old 03-27-2004, 07:30 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

Originally Posted by JONESER
Jimmy, glad you got it running...sucks about the leak though.
Did you ever get the axle bolt in?
LATERS
Yep, I took the axel to a bench grinder the next day and just grinded the first few bad threads completely off. I will have pics of the completed bike up by this afternoon. Sucks I have to take it apart again next week, but I don't feel like waiting any longer to see what it looks like.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:43 PM

JONESER is a decent person

Originally Posted by RedlineJimmy
Yep, I took the axel to a bench grinder the next day and just grinded the first few bad threads completely off. I will have pics of the completed bike up by this afternoon. Sucks I have to take it apart again next week, but I don't feel like waiting any longer to see what it looks like.
Sweet!
Post 'em up, I know it's gonna look tight as hell from what I've seen.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:31 PM

iwannagixxer is an unknown quantity at this point

did you get the pics?

i saw them before, and it looks pretty pimp.

goodluck fixing the leak too,if the broken bolt isnt the problem, ide JB Weld that **** up.