Cape Cod, MA

This is getting better and better

Old 10-08-2004, 11:23 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Angel Of Death is a decent person
This is getting better and better

Ortiz Earns Red Sox Series Sweep of Angels

By Greg Frost | October 8, 2004

BOSTON (Reuters) - David Ortiz's two-run homer in the bottom of the 10th inning gave the Boston Red Sox an 8-6 win over the Anaheim Angels and a three-game sweep of their American League Divisional Series Friday.

Ortiz went four-for-six with three RBI and his game-winning homer off Jarrod Washburn caused a sellout Fenway Park crowd of 35,547 to erupt in celebration as Boston cruised into the second round of the playoffs.

"He (Washburn) made a mistake, left the slider up there and things happened," Ortiz, who batted .545 in the series, said of his walk-off homer.

It was Boston's first postseason sweep since beating Oakland 3-0 in the 1975 American League Championship Series. It was also the first time the 2002 World Series-winning Angels had been swept in the playoffs.

Boston's relief pitchers nearly squandered a stellar performance from Bronson Arroyo, who struck out seven batters and allowed two runs over six innings as the Sox assembled a 6-1 lead.

SHAKY OUTINGS

The win went to Derek Lowe, who was relegated to the bullpen after shaky outings in the closing weeks of the regular season. Lowe retired all three batters he faced in the 10th inning.

Vladimir Guerrero, the odds-on favorite to be named this year's American League Most Valuable Player, broke out of a series slump to club a grand slam and tie the game 6-6 in the seventh frame.

Angels starting pitcher Kelvim Escobar struggled with his control, walking five batters before leaving the game in the fourth inning.

Boston pounded out 12 hits but the Angels did not help their own cause, committing two costly errors.

The Red Sox will play the winner of the New York Yankees-Twins series, which was tied 1-1 heading into Friday's contest in Minnesota.

"We get to relax a couple of days and let the other teams beat each other up," said Red Sox outfielder Johnny Damon.

Victory in the next round would put the Red Sox in the World Series for the first time since 1986.

Boston has not won the World Series since 1918
Old 10-09-2004, 11:41 AM

shtbx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: This is getting better and better

i was pissed at that game, i was watchin it and was like oh, 6-1 i can take a shower and get some **** done, i dont' gutta watch, then i flip it back on and it's tied....bullshit.....and that fu cking pitcher rodrigues-whateva he was pissin me off, so glad they took him out so ortiz could hit a dinger