hey nags remember that aluminium

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:47 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
hey nags remember that aluminium

remember that peace of aluminium we found that one night in the parking lot

i was bored tonight so i made this...........

it's a cell phone pic so it's shitty

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cap off.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	195078  

Last edited by old man roger; 05-29-2007 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 AM

babyJOKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: hey nags remember that aluminium

nice gas cap. when can i place my order for one ?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

lol...nah it takes to long too make with my old lathe i couldn't sell them for the same or less then vortex....

now if i had a cnc mill ,that would be a different story.....

i would sell every thing thats made of aluminium...lol
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 AM

da Liks is a decent person

sick rog!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 AM
also known as OMR

thanks , i kinda like making **** on my old lathe[over 100 years old]

it's like a hobby
Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 AM

Italian Magic is a decent person

wow.. how many hours did you spend after it?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:54 AM
also known as OMR

more then i care to admit....lol

all day
Old 05-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Senior Moderators

GSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of lightGSWITCH33 is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome job man. I dont think I would have the patience to use an older lathe. I like my digital heads up display that I can set my tolerances on.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Nice... Does it leak like your stock one?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by old man roger
thanks , i kinda like making **** on my old lathe[over 100 years old]

it's like a hobby

You would like the one that I have down in the sod barn.. it is well over 100 yrs old, and has all sorts of leather belts running it and the self drive system. it is really high tech for those days......old tools are cool.
this lathe is about the size of a long narrow car! It still works very very well though. And if there wasnt an oooold belt maker jig, and tool, I wouldn't know what I'd do if the ORIGINAL belts were to break!!

The only thing that I have made so far is a make-shift fork seal driver out of a piece of large brass pipe, had to make the I.D. the same as the O.D. of the tubes so it would slide over....easy to run the old stuff, and I imagine people a long time ago doing the same thing that I am doing but in a time that was a lot simpler.

I guess that's why I bowhunt too, try to keep things semi-primitive. It is like early period americana ...meets... The industrial age and sort of remember where we all came from all in the same boat.

And neat gas cap Rog, I left my zooks on when I smashed it in, and it was the only one that never has leaked yet.... my other tanks, I took that off to do the dent & they all leaked. Gas croch sucks.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 AM

Beto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really niceBeto is just really nice

wow, thats pretty cool!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jstuntlocke
You would like the one that I have down in the sod barn.. it is well over 100 yrs old, and has all sorts of leather belts running it and the self drive system. it is really high tech for those days......old tools are cool.
this lathe is about the size of a long narrow car! It still works very very well though. And if there wasnt an oooold belt maker jig, and tool, I wouldn't know what I'd do if the ORIGINAL belts were to break!!

The only thing that I have made so far is a make-shift fork seal driver out of a piece of large brass pipe, had to make the I.D. the same as the O.D. of the tubes so it would slide over....easy to run the old stuff, and I imagine people a long time ago doing the same thing that I am doing but in a time that was a lot simpler.

I guess that's why I bowhunt too, try to keep things semi-primitive. It is like early period americana ...meets... The industrial age and sort of remember where we all came from all in the same boat.

And neat gas cap Rog, I left my zooks on when I smashed it in, and it was the only one that never has leaked yet.... my other tanks, I took that off to do the dent & they all leaked. Gas croch sucks.
not to be an ***, but with 1 and a quart inch right angle PVC pipe and a bench grinder, you can make a fork seal driver tool that wont Score your fork tubes..
Old 05-29-2007, 01:22 PM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
not to be an ***, but with 1 and a quart inch right angle PVC pipe and a bench grinder, you can make a fork seal driver tool that wont Score your fork tubes..

No, it's ok. Please, be an ***! I won't feel at home if you don't!lol

??really though, let me know how this brass piece scored my forks??Cuz
I'm curious I wanna see pics of them scratched or something at least.

I made it outta brass because I wanted something to have a little more push, that wouldn't damage my forks. brass is heavy and soft. In fact I think Gunsmiths use Brass punches so they don't score the finish on nice expensive weaponry.
Trust me , it was just something that I had laying around, I didn't even consider using pvc, it had no wall thickness at all...the stuff I had laying around anyways. Seemed like it would cut into the top of the seals anyways.

I'm sure we could actually start a thread on: "what tools have you invented/made to work on your crunchy piece of stuntbike?" And we would get like 50 responses like yours and my both obviously brilliant ideas! Agree??
Now lets hear the stories of them that were built on a 100+ year old lathe!!! ........get back to me on my scratched up fork legs mmkay?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:28 PM
also known as OMR

brass is very soft and shouldn't score any thing as hard as a fork tube..

jstuntlockeYou would like the one that I have down in the sod barn.. it is well over 100 yrs old, and has all sorts of leather belts running it and the self drive system. it is really high tech for those days......old tools are cool.

And neat gas cap Rog, I left my zooks on when I smashed it in, and it was the only one that never has leaked yet.... my other tanks, I took that off to do the dent & they all leaked. Gas croch sucks

you can get flat belts at your local bowling alley as long as its a brunswick
and worst case you can order them from brunswick ,they sell the stitcher also

nagsNice... Does it leak like your stock one?
hope not ,i'll find out tonight

GSWITCH33Awesome job man. I dont think I would have the patience to use an older lathe. I like my digital heads up display that I can set my tolerances on.

oh man i wish....but this one has it's advantages too like you can put some thing in the chuck and take a grinder to it while it's turning,bet you would never do that to you expensive machine..lol

this thing was run from a leather belt hanging from a pully that was turned by a water wheel out side the factory i have pics some where of about fifty of the same lathes in a row all running off the same shaft

mine was upgraded to an electric motor in 1914 and that motor still works i have it under my bench
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	195093  

Last edited by old man roger; 05-29-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:35 PM

Manny is an unknown quantity at this point

Sick!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Hazen is a decent person

Where do you find time to make ur own gas cap???
Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 PM

Hazen is a decent person

Looks good though.

I would assume the small hole reduces splash-back at the gas station.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

metal on metal is more likely
Old 05-29-2007, 02:15 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

metal on metal is more likely
I guess youve never seen a brass hammer at work Brass is the ideal metal to use in this situation, sure PVC pipe will prob work but is that something you want in your tool box for long term use?

Nice work everyone I love seeing homemade parts that arent ghetto tech
Old 05-29-2007, 02:18 PM
also known as OMR

wheeliest pretty much got it ,i put a gasket in between the outer ring of the cap set up and the filler hole on the tank and i also drilled a small vent hole in the outer ring to the water catch so it won't build pressure and then i just have to get an oring for the cap itself...

i cut an o shaped gasket for the cap till i can get an oring

p.s jstunlocke post some pics of that lathe you got

Quick Reply: hey nags remember that aluminium