Detroit Street Ryders Photo Gallery
www.detroitstreetryders.com
Detroit, MI

Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 09:35 PM

Triple is an unknown quantity at this point
Opinions Please

My insurance company decided to total out my wrecked truck, so I've been looking for a replacement. I've narrowed it down to these two:

1997 Dodge Dakota
38,000 miles
5.2L V-8, 5-speed transmission
$7800.00
http://images.autotrader.com/images/...MAIN.565x421_A

1999 Dodge Ram 1500
30,500 miles
5.2L V-8, 5-speed transmission
$9000.00
http://images.autotrader.com/images/....MAIN.565x421_

Both trucks are in excellent condition. The Ram is newer, it's worth more, and it even has 6000 miles worth of factory warranty left on it. However, I prefer the looks of the Dakota, and it would be easier to maneuver because it's smaller. It would probably be significantly faster, too, and it would probably get better fuel economy.

I can't make up my mind. Suggestions?

And I do not want to hear "buy a Chevy!"
Old 10-10-2002, 10:33 PM

DJ Lit is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Opinions Please

Originally posted by Triple
I prefer the looks of the Dakota, and it would be easier to maneuver because it's smaller. It would probably be significantly faster, too, and it would probably get better fuel economy.
It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. You need to buy what you like. That's what I did. I'm picking up my new Truck tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:38 PM

Merlin is an unknown quantity at this point
UM...buy a GMC or a Chevy, Dodges usually get shitty mileage
Old 10-10-2002, 11:37 PM

Bluto is an unknown quantity at this point
Hate to say it but Merlin is right...if your looking for good fuel economy a V8 dogde truck is the last place you should be looking. But between the two, the full size is probably a better value....I think your fuel economy will be similar between the trucks if they are optioned similarly. (ie. both 4wd and both extended cab or something)
Old 10-11-2002, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by BlutoSigPi
Hate to say it but Merlin is right...if your looking for good fuel economy a V8 dogde truck is the last place you should be looking.
Uh, I don't know what planet you guys have been driving on, but I have lots of experience with Dakotas, Rams, and full size Chevy trucks, and the Mopars have all kicked the holy **** out of the GM machines when it came to both performance and-- especially-- fuel economy. My last V-8 Dakota was averaging about 25 highway mpg, and the last Ram in the family was a regular 22-24. My stepdad's latest 5.7L Chevy? Try 12 to 17, max. It's been my experience that our V-8 Dodges get way better mileage than even GM's 4.3L V-6. My mom's last Jimmy never broke 20 mpg. Sounds like you guys either got some bad information, or just had some lousy experiences with your trucks.

DJ Lit, I don't think I've already made up my mind. It's in my nature to agonize over stupid material things like this. Both trucks have a lot going for them. If they were both 99's, then I would definitely get the Dakota. But I just can't get over the fact that the Dakota has been on the road for 6 years already...
Old 10-11-2002, 12:40 AM

fastfingerjay is an unknown quantity at this point
full size fo sho......
Old 10-11-2002, 12:50 AM

I don't have a pic handy of the Dakota, but here's the Ram:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...583584_ram.jpg

It's a little "Grandpa-ish." I guess I could change that with some subtle mods, though. The Dakota is definitely a lot cooler looking.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:01 AM

drop it down about 10 inchs, put some wires and hydraulics and some curb feelers and your ready to put the sound system in...:D :D :D
Old 10-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Waiting For Email Confirmation

slothy is a decent person
Originally posted by fastfingerjay
drop it down about 10 inchs, put some wires and hydraulics and some curb feelers and your ready to put the sound system in...:D :D :D
must be sarah posting that lol....
Old 10-11-2002, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by slothy
must be sarah posting that lol....

I think its rubbin off. :D :D :D
Old 10-11-2002, 01:11 AM

Hey, man, even "Grandpa-ish" is better than "***-ish." :D :D :D
Old 10-11-2002, 01:16 AM

Hey, man, even "Grandpa-ish" is better than "***-ish." :D :D :D

O.K. then raise it 23 inchs by some 33 inch standtall tires, a roll bar, a deer guard and a gun rack for the back window and most important item.................a bumper sticker that says I'd rather be muddin'
Old 10-11-2002, 01:20 AM

O.K. then raise it 23 inchs by some 33 inch standtall tires, a roll bar, a deer guard and a gun rack for the back window and most important item.................a bumper sticker that says I'd rather be muddin'
Duuuude, you forgot the Earnhardt sticker, man...
Old 10-11-2002, 01:21 AM

Duuuude, you forgot the Earnhardt sticker, man...

No, dewd it's Richard Petty......
Old 10-11-2002, 01:27 AM

No, seriously, I saw a rear-view picture of the truck, and it really already has a big #3 sticker in the back window... not sure what I should think about that...

I'm leaning towards the Ram, though. It costs more, but there's a reason. I guess it can do almost everything the Dakota could, just with more space.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:29 AM

I would go with the just because of the space alone.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:13 AM

GTA_VC is a decent person
Well I don't know about the two examples you gave for fuel mileage, but I currently own a 2002 Ram 1500 2wd and it has a 28 gallon tank and gets about 13 mile to a gallon. So if it fuel mileage that you are looking for, buy a metro.

By the way, the Ram is one of the best vehicles i ever owned.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:28 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Raybone is an unknown quantity at this point
okay mine as well throw in my .02

1.look at how far you have to drive in order to even worry about gas milage??

2.do you carry passengers that often...then you have to worry about space???

3.do you haul alot because then you would need a bigger bed????

those are the things i would go off of
Old 10-11-2002, 10:34 AM

Bluto is an unknown quantity at this point
Uh, I don't know what planet you guys have been driving on, but I have lots of experience with Dakotas, Rams, and full size Chevy trucks, and the Mopars have all kicked the holy **** out of the GM machines when it came to both performance and-- especially-- fuel economy. My last V-8 Dakota was averaging about 25 highway mpg, and the last Ram in the family was a regular 22-24. My stepdad's latest 5.7L Chevy? Try 12 to 17, max. It's been my experience that our V-8 Dodges get way better mileage than even GM's 4.3L V-6. My mom's last Jimmy never broke 20 mpg. Sounds like you guys either got some bad information, or just had some lousy experiences with your trucks.

DJ Lit, I don't think I've already made up my mind. It's in my nature to agonize over stupid material things like this. Both trucks have a lot going for them. If they were both 99's, then I would definitely get the Dakota. But I just can't get over the fact that the Dakota has been on the road for 6 years already...
Well I have a buddy with 5.9 durango...he gets about 13mpg...even less in the city. Another friend has a ram with the 4.7 and gets about 15ish I think, but it's a full size extended cab...and it's a dog. By comparison my 5.3 silverado gets 16.1 city and 18.5 highway...average. This was about a year ago I had a book and kept track for a while. If your getting 25mpg on a 5.9 dodge V8...well I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. Even a dakota with a 4.7...at posted expressway speeds...should only get you about 22mpg MAX, unless your idling at 50mph. As far as lousy experiences, I've had nothing but great expericences thus far. Thus far being 89 with a 305 which was my last truck..my dad uses it now..it's a trooper. I can't comment on the 5.7 chevy because I've never owned one...but it is a marquee of an engine...along with the 3800 series. Anyway, get the full size with the warranty...that's my opinion, and that's what you asked for anyway.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by BlutoSigPi
Well I have a buddy with 5.9 durango...he gets about 13mpg...even less in the city. Another friend has a ram with the 4.7 and gets about 15ish I think
Actually, you're probably right about those examples... I have heard from a few sources that the two newer V-8's don't really stack up to the original 318 Magnum, and all of my experiences have been with the tried and true 5.2L. Someone told me that there are differences in the injection and intake, but I honestly don't know what all separates them from one another. I have heard horror stories about the little 4.7L (or is it 4.9L, I can't remember...). Both this Ram and Dakota have the older 5.2L.

And definitely no bull-****, here-- I was averaging a solid 25 mpg on my way home from Tampa with my last 5-speed Dakota, before I got nailed in Atlanta and the truck was wrecked. The Dakota I had before that was a 4x4 5.2L w/ an automatic, and it was always good for at least 20 mpg. My uncle currently owns a 5.2L Ram, and reports an average 20, as well. That's one major reason why I stick with Dodge over GM. That, and they look a lot cooler. :D

But, yeah, I'm going Ram for sure. I've made up my mind, maybe try and pick it up next weekend (it's out of state, too).

Quick Reply: Opinions Please