Detroit Street Ryders Photo Gallery
www.detroitstreetryders.com
Detroit, MI

wtf

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 01:30 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Doris is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys i just found this in the newspaper this weekend and i remeber you guys talking about it....
New law could ban lap dancing in strip clubs
By Andrea Blum, Heritage Newspapers

SOUTHGATE — Operating adult entertainment businesses, including two in the city, could get a little more complicated if the state Liquor Control Commission has its way.

The LCC recently approved a ban on lap dancing and the practice of putting tips in dancers’ G-strings in clubs with liquor licenses.

If the measures clear a few more hurdles, the new laws would mandate that dancers perform on platforms and stay at least three feet away from patrons.

The commission has supported the orders, but they still must clear a legislative committee and the governor’s office.

Local strip club proprietor John Hamilton, who owns Henry the VIII-South, said that, although the rule applies to licensed clubs only and won’t affect Henry the VIII-South, his other properties will be hit hard financially.

Henry the VIII-South has operated without a liquor license since January 2002.

But Hamilton also owns three other adult entertainment venues: Leggs Lounge in Van Buren Township and both Bogart’s and Henry the VIII-North in Inkster.

"This is going to be a very expensive three feet," Hamilton said.

"If it went through, there would be at least 10,000 people out of work."

Hamilton said that the law would have repercussions with vendors, liquor sales and state sales tax.

"They try this every year in at least five different states and it’s always declared unconstitutional," he said.

He also said that the new rule will be costly for the state.

"I think the state will end up with thousands of cases and individual trials," he said. "It could cost them about $100 million."

Unlike Henry the VIII-South, Southgate’s other topless club, Subi’s, would have to abide by the new rules.

"If it’s adopted by the state, we will enforce it," City Attorney Wallace Long said.

He doesn’t believe that the orders would be significantly detrimental to the businesses.

"I don’t understand why the touching component would put them out of business," he said.

"And tipping seems to me to be a custom in Western cultures that goes on whether you’re within the reach of someone.

"They can still receive a significant income from people who tip and leave it on the table."

But Hamilton said keeping track of the violations would be a formidable task.

"I wonder who’s going to enforce it," he said. "Will each police department have a yard stick patrol?"

Hamilton has been involved in legal battles with the city dating back to 1992.

He currently has two lawsuits involving the operation of Henry the VIII-South in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

He faces charges of violating the city’s nudity ordinance, which prohibits a person from appearing topless or bottomless in a place that’s open to the public.

The city adopted the ordinance in 2000, but Hamilton is challenging the city’s right to enforce the law.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:37 AM

Darkmind is a decent person
What the **** kind of **** is this I was thinking of moveing back to michigan but now i need to think twice.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:05 AM

mrclean26blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Why is Michigan is taking the fun out of entertainment? Pretty soon, Michigan will be the number most boring state in US.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:44 AM

Raybone is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by mrclean26blue
Why is Michigan is taking the fun out of entertainment? Pretty soon, Michigan will be the number most boring state in US.
no i think ohio will always have that title lol