Detroit Street Ryders Photo Gallery
www.detroitstreetryders.com
Detroit, MI

Snow mobile help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:49 PM

919rider is an unknown quantity at this point
Snow mobile help

My family just acquired a '94 Polaris Indy Storm 800 this weekend. My sister-in-law borrowed the sled and crashed it into a tree (she survived, 7 broken ribs, bruised liver, hole in her lung, broken wrist, concussion). My family is obviously going to buy the sled from her friend, and as the resident mechanic, I get to fix it.

I've never worked on or ridden a sled before (or a two-stroke), so I've got some learning to do. I've got a lot of experience with motorcycles, cars, trucks, and Naval pumps and turbines, so I'm pretty handy with a wrench.

First: Who makes the best manual? How much? Cheapest place to get it?

Second: It looks like I'll need to replace both ski's, and the majority of the right, front suspension. I assume that there are alternatives other than stock. What are they? Where can I get the best bang for my buck? What should I get (since I'll be replacing anyways) to make a better/more responsive sled?

Third: I'll need to repair/replace the hood. Its dented and cracked. Looks like its fiberglass. Is it repairable? If not, where do I get a hood? Is OEM the only option? I know that the aftermarket makes skins for race motorcycles, is there something similar for snowmobiles?

Fourth: Keep in mind that I don't want to spend a lot of money...What else should I do to this sled during my repairs? The only thing I know is that it has new plugs, throttle cable, and fuel lines. Apparently is was running great before it hit the tree.

Fifth: Does anyone know of a website out there that deals with this specific snowmobile or something similar?

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 02-16-2004, 12:56 PM
I Love To Post!

ChoCha is a decent person
Re: Snow mobile help

Originally Posted by 919rider
My family just acquired a '94 Polaris Indy Storm 800 this weekend. My sister-in-law borrowed the sled and crashed it into a tree (she survived, 7 broken ribs, bruised liver, hole in her lung, broken wrist, concussion). My family is obviously going to buy the sled from her friend, and as the resident mechanic, I get to fix it.

I've never worked on or ridden a sled before (or a two-stroke), so I've got some learning to do. I've got a lot of experience with motorcycles, cars, trucks, and Naval pumps and turbines, so I'm pretty handy with a wrench.

First: Who makes the best manual? How much? Cheapest place to get it?

Second: It looks like I'll need to replace both ski's, and the majority of the right, front suspension. I assume that there are alternatives other than stock. What are they? Where can I get the best bang for my buck? What should I get (since I'll be replacing anyways) to make a better/more responsive sled?

Third: I'll need to repair/replace the hood. Its dented and cracked. Looks like its fiberglass. Is it repairable? If not, where do I get a hood? Is OEM the only option? I know that the aftermarket makes skins for race motorcycles, is there something similar for snowmobiles?

Fourth: Keep in mind that I don't want to spend a lot of money...What else should I do to this sled during my repairs? The only thing I know is that it has new plugs, throttle cable, and fuel lines. Apparently is was running great before it hit the tree.

Fifth: Does anyone know of a website out there that deals with this specific snowmobile or something similar?

Thanks!
Kevin
I would do some searches for snowmobile forums out there. One fo my co-workers is always on em so they would be a good resource.. Just like stuntlife, only for sleds tho.. Prolly a good shot at some info...
Old 02-16-2004, 01:03 PM

only1adrian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChoCha
I would do some searches for snowmobile forums out there. One fo my co-workers is always on em so they would be a good resource.. Just like stuntlife, only for sleds tho.. Prolly a good shot at some info...
www.snowmobilefanatics.com, www.snowmobileworld.com

I might have a hood for you, its off a polaris xcr, but i think it will fit. Also the cheapest place to get parts for it is Sport Mart. They are located on the east side but very worth it, Half the price of dealers. If you have more questions just pm me
Old 02-16-2004, 02:12 PM

meatballs is an unknown quantity at this point

Check to make sure that the tunnel isn't bent. If it is the sled is junk, part it out and ebay it. You probaly need upper and lower rad arms, control arm, shock, and tie rod. If where the upper front shock bolt goes in is bent scrap it.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:35 PM

wickedrr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meatballs
Check to make sure that the tunnel isn't bent. If it is the sled is junk, part it out and ebay it. You probaly need upper and lower rad arms, control arm, shock, and tie rod. If where the upper front shock bolt goes in is bent scrap it.
Yup.... Tunnels are pretty durable but she did hit a tree so......
Sounds like it's gonna end up being a huge pile of broken **** and your gonna end up losing in the end even if ya sell the salvaged parts. sucks. AT least shes ok though..
Old 02-17-2004, 07:06 AM

919rider is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my neighbor over last night to look at it. He's got the 600 version of the sled in his garage, and thinks it looks salvagable. I'm borrowing a lift from a friend this afternoon, and will start taking **** apart tonight.

K
Old 02-17-2004, 08:29 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Raybone is an unknown quantity at this point

ive got a 96 600xcr......know pretty much everything about the sled....let me know what you need to know...everyone prety much covered the basics here....they are pretty basic machines
Old 02-18-2004, 01:07 PM
TIM
DSR PIMP

TIM is an unknown quantity at this point

no idea