Molybdenum Disulfide

Old 07-22-2003, 02:23 AM
D-Aces Stunt Pimp

dAcesCory is an unknown quantity at this point
Molybdenum Disulfide

MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE That is what my dad told me a little bit about last night, he designs and builds robots, conveyers and other factory machines and he commonly needs to use this **** cuz nothing else will handle the loads of friction. Then I remembered when I used to work at an automotive engine rebuilt shop molybdenum disulfide grease was used religiously on all motors because they swore it was supposed to extend the life of the engine by like triple. My dad also informed me that they blend this stuff in motor oils now.

Basically molybdenum disulfide is something that is a better lubricant than ANYTHING and it does not come off and does not wear out...perfect for 12's when your engine is starving for oil and blowing up for the fifth time that week.

I am starting to sound like a late night commercial about a car with no oil and sand in the oil pan, but this could really be sweet.

I am going to call a few of the major oil companies within the next few days if I get a chance, (kind of busy) and see what they say about it, see if there are any certain things to watch out for. Everything I found on the net said it does work and that it is not advertised to the public much because it is not really needed for most people. Most people if they are using an engine it is getting a constant supply of oil so why would they need something to "cling" to the vital engine parts. Also any engine oil will do the job needed for average engine loads. Us Stunters are the **** and we definitely could use it.

www.d-aces.com

Here are a couple links that I found that explain it in english.

http://www.beslub.com/moly.htm

http://www.mrmoly.com/about_moly.html

http://www.chemsol.com/lubricants.html

http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/neogard.htm
Old 07-22-2003, 05:51 AM

Ducat' is an unknown quantity at this point
well!!! if that thing works good, i've got the answer for my TLS engine!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 04:51 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person
keep us posted on any results you find....could be interesting!!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:16 AM

Ninjadude is an unknown quantity at this point
Good points Cory. I never thought I would see a thread on here with that title!
Old 07-23-2003, 03:45 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
The reason they dont use it for motorcycle oil is because of the wet clutches. That **** is so slippery that the clutch plates wont grab properly. On a bike with a dry clutch like a ducati that would be pimp.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:50 PM
D-Aces Stunt Pimp

I will try to keep this as short as I can.

So after a few phone calls I realized it does not pay to talk to anyone within any of the oil companies unless it is one of the lab technicians, they are the only ones that truly know anything and they are hard to get in contact with. I have talked to several companies, but I have only talked with the technicians at Mobil 1 and Red Line Synthetic Oil so far. I have to say that both tech's at each place know their ****, but each one had a differences in opinion.

As for the statement from MikeM, I never once thought about the clutch but the tech's did not either. Not sure if it really matters or not, I would think that they would have said something. Mobil 1 has a molybdenum oil made for bikes, I will call tomorrow and see what I can find out on this.

The guy from Red Line stated this: Molybdenum is not the best answer for an engine starving of oil. Molybdenum is not the best for lubrication of sliding surfaces, like piston walls and rod bearings but more for roller bearings like the crankshaft bearings and trany gears. (He explained why, but honestly it was confusing, not sure if I understand or believe him 100%). The most important ingredient is to have ester(spelling?). Ester is also a lubrication that is attracted to metal and will stay in the places you need it when the engine is getting no oil. Very few companies use ester anymore because it is much to expensive and not needed because of the synthetic oils that are made today. They are just as good without it for all applications except for an engine starving of oil. A regular synthetic oil will offer very little lubrication once the oil pressure is gone(12Oclock's), an oil with higher concentration of ester will.

He said he knows a lot of people will laugh at this, but he said use Prolong with an ester oil. He stated: On the negative side Prolong actually corrodes an engine and kills the life of the engine for a conventional use like in a normal vehicle. A car without prolong might get 200,000 miles and a car with might get 150,000 miles. On the positive side Prolong creates a very strong film that again will help lubricate once oil pressure is gone. A stunt bike's engine will not last long enough to let the corrosion of Prolong set in but the film created by Prolong is perfect.

The guy from Red Line said the only other company he knows of that still uses ester in their oil is Mobil 1.

The dude from Mobil 1 agreed with everything above about the ester including that they are one of the last to use ester in their oil. He said just about all the same things except that he feels that the molybdenum is much better and is the way to go for an engine with no oil pressure. He said that molybdenum is the best for "scuff" protection.(our engines are not wearing out they are seizing up and/or the rod bearings are 'welding' to the crank which is what he means by "scuff" He did not talk about prolong at all.

Both guys said that we should be using 20w-50 weight oils because it is more "sticky" unless our manuals have a warning not to. They said that the only negative thing it will do is to loose a few horsepower.

Both guys said that if we are using a regular synthetic oil without molybdenum or ester, our engines are getting no lubrication while they are running with no oil pressure. They both feel that as long as we are not bouncing off rev limiter or we are not at vertical(12) for too long they think that with these oils our motor life should be extended dramatically.

The Red Line guy suggested to use any of their 20w-50 racing oils, they all have ether I guess. Maybe with Prolong.

The Mobil 1 guy suggested to use the Mobil 1 V-twin 20w-50. He did not suggest this because I run a V-Twin, He suggested it because this oil is for designed for very high temperatures because it is often used on air cooled V-Twins with higher operating temperatures and it has molybdenum.

WOW that was long, I hope it works I am going to try to find out a little more, but as for now I think am a believer in what they say.

www.d-aces.com
Old 07-23-2003, 11:41 PM
D-Urban

d-acesDan is an unknown quantity at this point
well, I sure need something!!! I can't seem to keep a motor longer than a month! It gets very expensive. Ill try whatever!!
Old 07-24-2003, 06:18 AM

Ducat' is an unknown quantity at this point
very very interesting...............
but why dont you arrange your engine fot avoiding the problem with 12 o clock? its easy!!!!! just put a plate in the heuuuuu "carter in french lol".............in the place there is the oil lol!!!!! with that the oil donc go at the back and your oil pomp works on 12 o clock!!!
if there is some people who understanf french:

il faut mettre une plaque de métal dans le carter moteur pour que l'huile n'aille plus au fond et que la pompe a huile fonctionne meme a la verticale..........

but the oil may overheat............
Old 07-25-2003, 12:59 PM

TEDDY.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by d-acesDan
well, I sure need something!!! I can't seem to keep a motor longer than a month! It gets very expensive. Ill try whatever!!
haha honda should pay you to test their new engines, if anyone can blow it up it's you.

you should take all those bad engines in for scrap metal, you'd probably have enough weight to cash in and buy a new one
Old 07-25-2003, 06:00 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person
either that or i'll keep buying them and i'll gather enough parts to make one good one eventually
Old 07-30-2003, 06:12 PM
D-Aces Stunt Pimp

I know I did a bit much typing, I felt a little dumb about it at the time. I wanted to give the facts about what they told me. I hoped with the details others might be convinced and get extra life from their motors.

Here is my condensed version for the slower readers:

Use Mobil 1 V-twin 20w-50 oil or Red Line 20w-50 racing oil because it will help your engine last longer. Try some Prolong too.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:08 AM
D-Urban

d-acesDan is an unknown quantity at this point
"Wet clutches can slip with improper oil being used. Some people have had problems with them by using plain automotive oils in their motorcycles instead of the more expensive motorcycle oils. Some wet clutches will slip using synthetic oils."
"Next, in an effort to gain back some of the extreme wear protection, some oil producers have started adding other additives such as Molybdenum Disulfide, commonly referred to as just plain Moly. (Frankly, I had to look up the spelling myself for this article!) The stuff is really great for some applications such as an initial surface for new piston rings and for making motor oil more slippery. It may have some consequences for motorcycle wet clutches, especially in higher powered bikes. "

"Has anyone tried molybdenum disulfide addittives? (moly slip Mr. Moly
etc.) I put it in a wet clutch motorcycle once and it was so slippery the
clutch wouldn't take full torque!"

I found alot of websites talking about wet clutches slipping with different oil lubracants, including Moly (molybdenum disulfide). Just a thought!! I also found the Mobil 1 seems to be the best oil. It seems like every website I looked at talked highly of it. Im going to try that Mobil 1 V-Twin that Cory said to get.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:08 PM
BACK UP IN THAT ASS

GMO750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face .....

Must be somethin about that wisconsin air that blows all those motors...... couldnt be cowshit dust because we have pleanty of that in VT
Old 08-08-2003, 10:10 PM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by d-acesDan
Im going to try that Mobil 1 V-Twin that Cory said to get.
Sweet thread about oil! I went to buy the Mobile 1 V-Twin oil a few months ago, but then I changed my mind once I found out it was $7+ for a quart of oil....I'm just a cheap stunter . I may have to dig into the wallet next time and give it a try though.

* Is there any way one of the moderators of this boad can "Copy" this thread to the "Stunt Discussion" board. I think alot of riders would find this advice very usefull .
Old 08-13-2003, 11:50 PM
Regular StuntLifer

R6Rider4Life is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by dAcesCory
Use Mobil 1 V-twin 20w-50 oil or Red Line 20w-50 racing oil because it will help your engine last longer. Try some Prolong too.
Do you think it'd be fine to use in any of the engine classes?
Old 08-14-2003, 12:13 AM

ENASNI TILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
I used mobil 1 with my 900rr. the problem with it is it made my clutch slip at high rpm's. I use honda hp4 now and no problems.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:19 PM
florida! finally

Nate-VMC is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmmmmm
Old 08-21-2003, 08:58 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by ENASNI900RR
I used mobil 1 with my 900rr. the problem with it is it made my clutch slip at high rpm's. I use honda hp4 now and no problems.
Which mobile 1 were you using? I think 15/40 and above do not have friction modifiers and they shouldn't make your clutch slip. All lighter weight oils do have these I think. I also heard that if you've been running regular oil and switch to synthetic it could make the clutch slip because the friction plates are already saturated with conventional oil. I don't think that's true but does anyone know?
Old 08-24-2003, 11:06 PM

Ryno is an unknown quantity at this point
oil

Cory and Dan, check out the new issue of sport rider. there is a big article on oils. Oils with moly, firction tests, heat breakdown, antiacids, all kinds of info. check it out. It shows honda's hp4 oil acutally contains moly in it, but not many other do.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:38 AM

MBTech81 is an unknown quantity at this point
I should start building bike motors on the side, I could make a lot of cash...(and probably a lot of freinds if I did it on the cheap)

Quick Reply: Molybdenum Disulfide