Flint Town, MI

Biker doin time...

Old 07-03-2006, 10:26 AM

DaddyJama is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Biker doin time...

florida rules
http://pursuitwatch.org/stories/FHP_haywood.htm

Motorcyclist faces prison for causing trooper's death

DAYTONA BEACH -- A high-speed pursuit on Interstate 4 last year between a motorcyclist and a Florida Highway Patrol trooper lasted only minutes and ended when the trooper's patrol car crashed into a tree.
The motorcyclist, Donald Williams, could now face up to 60 years in prison for causing the trooper's death.
A Volusia jury deliberated for three hours Tuesday and convicted the Hillsborough County man of aggravated manslaughter, vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer and causing a death.
He will be sentenced later.
Trooper Darryl Haywood, 49, was pursuing Williams on Oct. 2, 2004, with their speeds topping 100 mph, until Haywood's Chevrolet Camaro sustained a tire blowout, spun, struck another car and then crashed into a pine tree.
Haywood had joined the highway patrol in 2000 after retiring from a 20-year career with the New York Police Department. He was the 39th trooper killed in the line of duty.
Surrounded by family and friends, his widow, Linda Haywood, wept quietly as the verdict was read, and said she was grateful to prosecutors and the witnesses who helped in the case.
"I thank the witnesses who came forward on behalf of Darryl because this is all about Darryl," Linda Haywood said, fighting back tears. "Victory isn't always sweet, and I understand that another family has suffered because of the events that occurred.
"But when you commit a bad act, you have to be held accountable," she continued. "Now he will be held accountable for the death of my husband, who was doing his job, a job he loved very, very much."
Williams' defense attorney, Leon Jones of Tampa, said he was speechless.
"The jury had a very difficult task. We were hoping they would see the scenario where Trooper Haywood, a good man, made a mistake," Jones said.
The central question in the case, as Jones and Assistant State Attorney Celeste Gagne said in their closing arguments, was who was responsible for Haywood's fatal crash.
Jones had tried to place the blame on Haywood, arguing that the trooper didn't have to pursue Williams at speeds over 100 mph.
Jones pointed out that in Haywood's last radio transmission, there isn't an audible siren wail. Jones argued that meant that Haywood broke off the pursuit about three miles before the fatal accident, and that Haywood didn't need to continue the high speeds or didn't need to split traffic or drive into the emergency lane.
"He chose to do that," Jones said. "He didn't need to do that. It was his choice."
The jury apparently took note of his argument and during deliberations asked to listen to Haywood's radio call a couple of times.
Gagne argued that Williams caused the fatal crash with his reckless behavior during the pursuit.
About 15 witnesses testified to seeing some part of the chase and described Williams speeding, weaving in and out of traffic and using the emergency lanes to pass. Many witnesses said they saw the motorcyclist speed by and then saw the trooper's marked Camaro, with its lights flashing and siren blaring, as close as 15 seconds behind. At least three witnesses testified that the motorcyclist briefly turned around to check on the trooper.
Gagne said Williams' driving posed a safety risk to everyone on the highway that day, to the point that he was grossly negligent and caused the fatal crash. "There were numerous people who were exposed to his dangerousness, but it was Trooper Haywood who suffered the ultimate consequences," Gagne said.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 AM

DaddyJama is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Biker doin time...

http://pursuitwatch.org/stories/progressive.htm

look for the chart..tells you how fast the cops go to catch up with you
Old 07-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I Love To Post!

motopsyko32 will become famous soon enough

excellent post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:32 AM

GSXRkid has a little shameless behaviour in the past

That is a bunch of BS. There is a reason that most departments have no chase policies on motorcycles. Cars aren't meant for doing speeds of over 100 for long periods of time.

My big question is Why the trooper was out in car that could potentially have a blowout? If I was the car that got hit I would be suing the police department for letting a tire blowout and causing an accident. That is about the same as charging the motorcyclist for a cops mistake.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:44 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

cbr9two9guy is an unknown quantity at this point

They are lucky he was the only one killed.. and not innocent bystanders from the negligence of the troopers chase.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

I thought Fl had a no chase policy? Or is that just Orlando? In O-town I was advised to gas it for 2 miles if a car creeped up fast with no lights on. Reason is the cops don't hit their lights because it turns on their camera and there is a no chase policy.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
I Love To Post!

motopsyko32 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NINER
I thought Fl had a no chase policy? Or is that just Orlando? In O-town I was advised to gas it for 2 miles if a car creeped up fast with no lights on. Reason is the cops don't hit their lights because it turns on their camera and there is a no chase policy.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM

o3r1dynoed can only hope to improve

why should they keep up good maintenance on there stuff when they can just charge people and say its their fault when things go wrong and people die or get hurt
Old 07-03-2006, 05:32 PM

Bwolosz is an unknown quantity at this point

I got an awsome BJ last night. :YEAH
Old 07-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Disturbed Riders

Duke Nukem is a decent person

Good, there is one last cop to go kill people on high speed chases. I feel safer now.:YEAH :YEAH

Why risk lives on a high speed chase to stop someone for a traffic violation. Isn't the whole thing ironic in the first place. We cant speed or we'll get a ticket because it endangers others, but a cop can go 150mph with no lights on to chase you for the same thing endangering everyone around, himself and the suspect.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:39 AM

chillyzf4i is a decent person

Originally Posted by Bwolosz
I got an awsome BJ last night. :YEAH

i was wondering where niner was
Old 07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by chillyzf4i
Negative.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 AM

636stunter06 is a jewel in the rough636stunter06 is a jewel in the rough636stunter06 is a jewel in the rough636stunter06 is a jewel in the rough

thats bs ftp cops are some of the dumbest & ignorant ppl ever they think they are above the law well not this time the smart thing should have been radioed ahead if the cop wanted him so bad hmmmmm lets see whats faster bike or radio i choose the radio personally if i was a cop i would have never tried to stop him we had the same situation like 10yrs ago happen in jersey the state trooper thought he could go 100mph around a turn cause the bike did it but he lost it in the turn & wrapped his car around a tree havent the police learned anything from other experiences i guess not & they never will but then to blame the biker ppl make decisions this time the cop made a bad one ftp
Old 07-04-2006, 03:25 PM

Bwolosz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chillyzf4i
Old 07-04-2006, 03:40 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NINER
very true

i lost one by taking him high speed around the block he was drifting the corners and everything until he saw a regular car at a stop sign i went through about 120:YEAH
Old 07-04-2006, 04:05 PM

ratfink1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

im a little suprised that he is being charged if the cop signed on to do that job its his fault that it happined and his choice to chase a motorcycle what a tard
Old 07-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by suicidl
very true

i lost one by taking him high speed around the block he was drifting the corners and everything until he saw a regular car at a stop sign i went through about 120:YEAH
It may have been you who told me that.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:11 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ratfink1970
im a little suprised that he is being charged if the cop signed on to do that job its his fault that it happined and his choice to chase a motorcycle what a tard
he was charged and got 25 years
Old 07-05-2006, 02:13 PM

o3r1dynoed can only hope to improve

that sucks man! I just ran fri afternoon,did well but im glad he didnt run over sum farm animal or sumthin , could face 20-life-cuz i was in the middle of nowhere doin 20-over n didnt want 4 points for it!