Reckless Driving in a Parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:37 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future
Reckless Driving in a Parking lot

My boys and I were out at a parking lot tonight practicing. The lot was completely empty-it was at an empty retail shopping center about 9:30-10pm. Mr law comes hauling *** in, as my boy is just popping it up to 12 real slow. He blocks my boy off and issues him a Reckless Driving, Failure to Maintain Control ticket. WTF? Virginia blows ***, but....isnt a private lot...a private lot?? Has anybody been nabbed like this before? Any recommendations? Besides moving out of state?

I've gotten into an accident in a gas station lot here a few years ago and the cop did'nt issue any type of summons or even reports because he stated it was private property and the police don't enforce traffic law outside the white lines????
Old 10-27-2004, 12:00 AM
WHEELIES "R" US

Jope is a decent person
Re: Reckless Driving in a Parking lot

Originally Posted by R1Alvin
My boys and I were out at a parking lot tonight practicing. The lot was completely empty-it was at an empty retail shopping center about 9:30-10pm. Mr law comes hauling *** in, as my boy is just popping it up to 12 real slow. He blocks my boy off and issues him a Reckless Driving, Failure to Maintain Control ticket. WTF? Virginia blows ***, but....isnt a private lot...a private lot?? Has anybody been nabbed like this before? Any recommendations? Besides moving out of state?

I've gotten into an accident in a gas station lot here a few years ago and the cop did'nt issue any type of summons or even reports because he stated it was private property and the police don't enforce traffic law outside the white lines????
show up to court and tell'em it was private property, see what happens.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:01 AM

Ecentrik is an unknown quantity at this point

if it was private block it off... also I might add anytype of business the law can bust you unless they block it off specifically saying only stunting. but if they get complaints they still can give DTP. next time get the owner to help you it will save you money.!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Regular StuntLifer

longrider is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately more and more states are passing laws where certain traffic violations can be issued on private property. I do know that in Colorado reckless driving and DUI can be issued of private property. However I think that cop just had an attitude since here anytime the cops showed up at a spot they have just told the riders off the street to leave. The only citatiions were to guys riding on the street.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:26 AM

02redr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

well, reckless in oklahoma means that you have to be endangering someone's life...if you weren't you might be able to get out of it if it is the same in VA
Old 10-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Getsome is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your local laws. Virginia may not have ithwere they can bust you on private property. Also if you contact the property owner before the court date and get permission, just kind of fudge the dates alittle and it'll get dropped.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:19 AM

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

Thanks for the info---looks like its time for research....what a bummer...
Old 10-27-2004, 11:29 AM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend and myself got busted riding at an empty college parking lot. They saw him doing a slow wheelie on the other side of the parking lot facing the opposite direction and this sheriff came in with his lights and siren on. That basterd arrested my friend and took him down to county.
I told the sheriffs that it was a private parking lot. He said that it wasn't cuz anytime the public has access then it becomes public property. If it is some damn public, then how come students have to pay for a parking pass???

Anyways, my friend that got arrested goes down to this office to try to get a copy of the police report. He couldn't, but this lady let him glance over it for a few minutes. He told me that the sheriff totally lied on the report.
He said that the sheriff stated, "his front wheel was stationary and the bike was going in circles. Once the suspect saw that i came into the paring lot with lights and siren on, i got out of the squad car. I called him over to me , and he proceeded to do a wheelie towards me."

WTF???

My friends back was towards the sheriff on the other side of this parking lot. BY the time the sheriff rolled in, my friend was already landing from a SLOW WHEELIE!(under 10MPH) Once he saw the sheriff, he rode his bike to him. WTF!!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:01 PM

BunaRocket is an unknown quantity at this point

This is why you always film, lol. Rock some circles around the patrol car on film just never aim the bike towards the officer. If you have permision block it off so that nobody can say anything. When I say have permission I mean get a letter signed so that when johnny law rolls in they don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:41 PM

teva is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd Fight It. I Don't Think It'll Hold Up In Court...

Get A Lawyer To Look Into It.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:45 PM

Spark~R.O.C. is an unknown quantity at this point

It was in a RETAIL SHOPPING center.......which the public has access to. Anywhere the public can go is not private property. I live in VA and went through the same thing last year. THEY WON..........GET A LAWYER.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:47 PM

DetroitStyle is a decent person

I got "pulled over" for doing wheelies on my Fiddy in the parking lot next to my house. Like, literally, across the alley from my house. The cop saw me doing wheelies, and hit his lights/siren So I came over and the conversation went like this...

Keep in mind, that local popo have "warned" me previously about riding it in the street, but have always told me "Keep it in the parking lot"

Me: What's up?
Cop: Put it away before I take it away?
Me: Excuse me?
Cop: That is not street legal. Shut it off and park it.
Me: Um, I'm not on the street...
Cop: If you want to push your luck, I'll give you a ticket for wreckless driving for the wheelies
Me: Are you serious?
Cop: Yes.
Me: So what's the difference if I'm riding this in a private lot, or in my front yard (pointing to yard 10 feet away)
Cop: Look, this isn't private property. It's an "area"
Me: What does that mean?
Cop: Look, if you keep it up, you can argue with the judge.
Me: Can you show me in your code book?
Cop: You can look at it at the station
Me: I will.

I then proceeded to hop on my mountain bike, and rock wheelies to the station (half mile away). He was behind me the whole way. He didn't follow me in though.

My conversation with the desk cop, and the night sargeant basically came to the conclusion that unless somebody is complaining about the NOISE, they can't do anything about it. Street legal or not. Wheelies or not. I asked "Does that go for my streetbike too?" and he said "As long as you have permission, you can do whatever you want."

Think about it. Otherwise cops could write you tickets for performing at shows, at the track, whatever. It's PRIVATE property. Traffic laws DO NOT APPLY. (at least around these parts). The cops would have to have permission from the property owner to patrol and write tickets.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:04 PM

Smoky MB is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, around here cops can't do anything on private property unless they have a complaint. Did that happen in Detroit??
Old 10-27-2004, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Smoky MB
Right, around here cops can't do anything on private property unless they have a complaint. Did that happen in Detroit??
Harper Woods... right next door.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:42 PM

Smoky MB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DetroitStyle
Harper Woods... right next door.
I've never really been messed with in detroit. We were tearin up an abandoned lot in the city once, two cops pulled up and were like damn, here it goes. we go over to the car and they start bs'in w/ us, say they wanna see what we can do, and if anything goes wrong they'll get the ambulance quick... that was a great night. Detroit stuntin would be great if the pavement wasn't so hit
Old 10-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Getsome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spark~R.O.C.
It was in a RETAIL SHOPPING center.......which the public has access to. Anywhere the public can go is not private property. I live in VA and went through the same thing last year. THEY WON..........GET A LAWYER.

anywhere the public can go is not private property? My father has a building with a large lot that the public has access to since he has a business there but he owns the building and the lot. The police can not press any kind of charges if someone were riding there unless the owner of the land says it was trespassing. Of course you live in VA and they do have alot of Fuked up laws there too. They even require insurance in that state yet? Gonna have to ask some cop friends I have there about a few things.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:35 AM
NAZ

NAZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DetroitStyle
I got "pulled over" for doing wheelies on my Fiddy in the parking lot next to my house. Like, literally, across the alley from my house. The cop saw me doing wheelies, and hit his lights/siren So I came over and the conversation went like this...

Keep in mind, that local popo have "warned" me previously about riding it in the street, but have always told me "Keep it in the parking lot"

Me: What's up?
Cop: Put it away before I take it away?
Me: Excuse me?
Cop: That is not street legal. Shut it off and park it.
Me: Um, I'm not on the street...
Cop: If you want to push your luck, I'll give you a ticket for wreckless driving for the wheelies
Me: Are you serious?
Cop: Yes.
Me: So what's the difference if I'm riding this in a private lot, or in my front yard (pointing to yard 10 feet away)
Cop: Look, this isn't private property. It's an "area"
Me: What does that mean?
Cop: Look, if you keep it up, you can argue with the judge.
Me: Can you show me in your code book?
Cop: You can look at it at the station
Me: I will.

I then proceeded to hop on my mountain bike, and rock wheelies to the station (half mile away). He was behind me the whole way. He didn't follow me in though.

My conversation with the desk cop, and the night sargeant basically came to the conclusion that unless somebody is complaining about the NOISE, they can't do anything about it. Street legal or not. Wheelies or not. I asked "Does that go for my streetbike too?" and he said "As long as you have permission, you can do whatever you want."

Think about it. Otherwise cops could write you tickets for performing at shows, at the track, whatever. It's PRIVATE property. Traffic laws DO NOT APPLY. (at least around these parts). The cops would have to have permission from the property owner to patrol and write tickets.

some great info for me to know. my buddy has his own warehouse in mt clemts or whatever, enough room to practice my slow ****. i want the po to show up, so i can argue w/ the ********
Old 10-28-2004, 08:38 AM
NAZ

NAZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Smoky MB
I've never really been messed with in detroit. We were tearin up an abandoned lot in the city once, two cops pulled up and were like damn, here it goes. we go over to the car and they start bs'in w/ us, say they wanna see what we can do, and if anything goes wrong they'll get the ambulance quick... that was a great night. Detroit stuntin would be great if the pavement wasn't so hit
weve had the cops roll up on us on french rd a couple of times. they either:
1.rolled by
2.rolled by and a guy we know on a r1 sped up next to em and asked if they cared, they said"we dont give a ****"
3.crazy lata down the street always yells at us and when they came flyin up they said"please just leave, we cant take how much that crazy ladie down he street calls"
4. the cop said he didnt wanna have to write ant accident reports
Old 10-28-2004, 04:02 PM

ZANE is an unknown quantity at this point

This probably goes without saying but, if you do go to court, don't count on the judge listening to ANYTHING you have to say, unless you have some serious facts to lay out.. they will nail your b&^ls to the wall if given the opportunity, especially if you have a substantial prior record, as most of us do.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by NAZ/ownedmc
some great info for me to know. my buddy has his own warehouse in mt clemts or whatever, enough room to practice my slow ****. i want the po to show up, so i can argue w/ the ********
Yeah, as long as you have permission, you should be cool.

I might have to hit you up about your spot! I'm 10 minutes away...

And yeah, the usual rule of thumb in Detroit is that as long as it's reasonably isolated, they don't care. Half the time they will even stop and watch. Maybe one outta ten times they say it's "time to leave" or something like that... But I don't know anybody who's gotten busted in Detroit for practicing at a "spot".

Quick Reply: Reckless Driving in a Parking lot