naw wheelie, what is a wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 06:08 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

-Rodger- is an unknown quantity at this point
naw wheelie, what is a wheelie?

Q: What is a "wheelie?"

A: The wheelie is the most basic and common of all bicycle stunts. It is performed by riding with the front wheel balanced in midair while the rear wheel remains on the ground. This may also be accomplished on a motorcycle.

Q: How long must the wheel be in the air to be considered a wheelie?

A: There is no governing body regulating wheelies to establish any officially sanctioned wheelie rules, however, maintaining at least a temporary balance on the rear wheel would seem acceptable.

Q: Who coined the term "wheelie?"

A: Leonardo da Vinci

Q: Who can do wheelies?

A: Practically anyone who can ride a road bike, mountain bike, BMX bike, cruiser, or lowrider.

Q: Can a car do a wheelie?

A: Yes, but the front two wheels must be airborne while the rear wheels stay on the ground. This is a very difficult maneuver to perform with a front-wheel-drive vehicle. Most any land-based, multi-wheeled vehicle can do a wheelie, so long as the front end can become airborne. This includes tricycles, skateboards, and wheelchairs. RVs and trains cannot do wheelies.

Q: Can a unicycle do a wheelie?

A: Technically, no. True balance is maintained on a single wheel, but by definition, a wheelie can only be done with a multiwheeled vehicle.

Q: Can a boat do a wheelie?

A: No, and neither can a can a helicopter nor airplane, except for a few moments during takeoff.

Q: Can a blimp do a wheelie?

A: No.

Q: Aren't wheelies dangerous?

A: No. Injury can be avoided as long as common sense is exercised, and the proper equipment is used. Alcohol may impede wheelie ability and result in loss of control.

Q: Has anyone ever been killed doing a wheelie?

A: No such incidents have been kept on record, so a precise number, if any, would be difficult to gauge.

Q: Aren't wheelies illegal?

A: According to the Oregon State Motor Vehicle code, wheelies and other vehicular stunts are prohibited on all public thoroughfares. Laws may vary by state.

Q: Are there any differences between "do a wheelie," "ride a wheelie," and "pop a wheelie?"

A: No the terms are synonymous and can be used interchangeably. "Wheelie" may be used both as a noun ("the man does a wheelie") and as a verb ("the man wheelies").

Q: Have any songs been written about wheelies?

A: No. However, wheelies have been mentioned in song lyrics, for instance "Fast and Frightening" by L7: "Poppin' wheelies on her motorbike/Straight girls wish that they were dykes."

Q: Is there anyone named after wheelies?

A: Yes, Ms. Bon Von Wheelie of Tacoma, Washington.

Q: How fast can a wheelie be ridden?

A: 137.6 mph. Frenchman Richard Almet set this world speed record for doing a wheelie on a motorcycle at the Multi-Part British Track Grand Prix in Silverstone, England on 15 August 1986. Jimmy Gentile of Tormance, California previously held the wheelie speed record at 120.8 mph, but the first person to break the 100 mph barrier was Otis Lance, who did a 112-mph wheelie at the Penwell Raceway Park in Texas. He rode a Suzuki GS-1000.

Q: How long can a wheelie be ridden?

A: Doug Domokos popped a 145-mile wheelie without stopping or touching the front wheel to the ground at the Alabama Motor Speedway in Talladega, Alabama on 27 June 1984. "The Wheelie King" rode laps on the 2.66-mile, tri-oval paved track with an average speed of 50 mph. He only stopped because he ran out of gas.

Q: How can I do a wheelie?

A: Pull hard upward and rearward on the handlebars while simultaneously pushing harder on the pedals, but not so hard that you fall completely over the back wheel. This works best on a flat, firm surface.

Q: Is there any secret to doing a wheelie?

A: Practice, practice, practice.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:13 PM

Re: naw wheelie, what is a wheelie?

Originally posted by Big Rodg C.C.

Q: How long must the wheel be in the air to be considered a wheelie?

A: There is no governing body regulating wheelies to establish any officially sanctioned wheelie rules, however, maintaining at least a temporary balance on the rear wheel would seem acceptable.
by far the best response i've ever heard. in fact, I'm gonna memorize it.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:20 PM

TEDDY.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Q: Can a blimp do a wheelie?
lol i love it

i wheelied my lawnmower once:devil
Old 01-30-2003, 06:34 PM

Hi my name is Jerry Jones, and I have been doing wheelies for many years, during that time I have learned to wheelie up hills, down hills, in turns, circles, rough terrain, around racetracks, over a car, even touch the rear fender on the ground without going over backwards with complete control,I have performed at car, motorcycle, monster truck races and charity events, as well as motocross, supercross. and arenacross races. I have made an instructional video with detailed printed instructions describing and demonstrating the techniques and motorcycle modifications that I have found to put me in complete control of my wheelie.Also for a limited time, I will include a bonus disk, packed with valuable information with purchase of tape or CD. This program will show you why a lot of power isn't necessary to maintain a wheelie indefinitely. Proper technique is much more important than horsepower. This program is geared to low budget wheelie bike modifications, old dirt bikes (motocross, enduro, dual sport and trail bikes, honda, yamaha kawasaki, and suzuki, ktm or just about anything else) make excellent wheelie bikes, and will show how to do them yourself, and where to get the parts.(modifications are only required for the more advanced wheelies, turns, circles, etc) This program stars at the beginner level and explains what techniques are necessary to wheelie safely with control and why. The video includes the printed instructions or you can just get the printed instructions by mail or e-mail. This is a step by step program starting at the beginner level and safely taking you through the more advanced wheelies with easy to understand practice exercises it covers techniques for both 2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes and a wide range of wheelie tricks, including turns, circles, rough terrain, over a car, up and down hills, changing gears and speed control.Clic here to see review from Motorcycle Product News Now available for international orders on cd, these will play on most dvd players and all computers with windows media player or real player see products page for details. This tape will teach motorcycle stunt riding safely and quickly.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:37 PM

help is on the way...

About the author (who is this guy anyway)?
There are lots of guys who can pull wheelies. There are fewer that can shift while on one wheel. And even fewer that can ride them to over 100mph. Their are definitely people better at wheelies than myself. But I've been doing them for well over 10 years on motorcycle, and as a kid I could ride around the block on my rear tire only. Haven't been able to do that on a motorcycle however. The only motorcycle that I've looped has been a YSR, and you just run behind it, and put it back down. I've never ever been injured, or crashed doing a wheelie. Why am I such a wheelie nut. My grandfather gave me a unicycle to ride when I was about 9. As soon as I could get around a few feet, my father took it away worried I would injure myself. Now I ride on one wheel, at over 100mph.

The basics, or can I wheelie my bike?
If your bike doesn't have a side car, or a trailer, it can probably be wheelied. I've shifted into 2nd on one wheel on YSR's. I've wheelied dirt bikes, street bikes, and a couple of standards. I've seen Harleys, Goldwings, Katanas, and 125's all pawing at the sky. Yes, your bike can wheelie. Wheelies are made up of three parts. The launch, getting the front wheel off the ground. The balancing portion, riding the wheelie as long as you safely can, clicking gears along the way. This is the most difficult part of wheeling to master. And lastly, set down phase, placing the front wheel back on the ground as safely as possible, trying to place as little wear and tear as possible on your bike.

The Launch
The launch isn't the most difficult part of doing a wheelie. But I'll spend the most time on this section, because this is where there is the most variation. The less power you have, the fewer your options are. I'm going to divide the launch into three sections. Rolling it on, suspension help, and clutch help.

Rolling it on
This is probably the safest way, to launch a wheelie, but it doesn't work on an EX-500, or many older 600's. Simply put, just gradually increase your throttle while in first gear, until you are wide open. If your bike has enough power, your front wheel will just come up. I've found this to work very easily on a Suzuki TL1000s, and a Yamaha R1. Didn't work on my 93 900rr, sometimes works on my Kawaski ZX-11. Never works on my YSR. If you have a 600 that you want to do this with, just lower the gearing. With the race gearing I have on my GSXR600 this technique also works. With the stock gearing, no way in hell. So exactly how do you roll it on. Go to about 1/3 of your tach range in 1st gear, then in the amount of time it takes you to say one-thousand-one, have the throttle at full.

Using Suspensions to help
Ok, so your bike won't roll it on, but you don't want to abuse your clutch. I'm going to talk here about things you can do, that basically assist the roll-on wheelie. These may take practice to work well, but understanding the concepts will apply to any bike. If your bike doesn't do a roll on wheelie, find yourself a steep road, and see if you can wheelie uphill. Is it easier? It should be. The reason why, is that your center of gravity, has already been moved back, lightening your front end. Once you get the wheel off the ground, it takes less power to get it higher. Those first two inches are the hardest part. Before you ride your bike next time, put both feet on the ground, and push as hard as you can on the front end. Then let it come back up. Practice bouncing the front end up and down. Push hard, and let it come back up. While riding your bike, you can get a similar behavior, by using the throttle. If you whack the throttle open, the front end will come up. At its peak, if you shut the throttle down, engine braking, in combination with the weight of your front end will cause it to go back down. When it's at the bottom of its stroke, if you whack the throttle back open again, you can use the expansion of your front springs, along with your acceleration, to help lift the front wheel. In fact, it doesn't take much at all, to do this. I'll use my GSXR with stock gearing as an example. I would get going in first gear, so the tach was at about 8500 rpm. Then I would shut the throttle down, then whack it back on. Tugging at the bars a little also helps. This snapping of the throttle is a much quicker movement then rolling your throttle on. Not as quick as you can do it, but I guess that the entire movement should take about 1/2 or less of a second. Basically, go from steady state, shut down, then full open. After some practice you will learn how to time it with your suspension.

Using the clutch
So you still can't get the front wheel to come up? I actually find that clutching it up, gives me the most predictable wheelies than any other method. Why? Its much easier to do exactly the same thing over, and over. Basically get rolling in 1st gear to an RPM of about 1/3 to 1/2 of your maximum hp. This is what worked well on my GSXR-600, when it had stock gearing. I would go to about 5000 rpm in 1st gear. Pull in the clutch, rev the engine a time or two, to time it so that the throttle would be wide open and the clutch releasing as the tach swept 9-10k. The next thing you know, your front wheel is way up in the air, and your RPM's are at about 8,000 with the throttle full on. At this point, I would have to roll off some, to find the balance point of the bike. As you learn to do this on your own bike, start out conservatively on your clutch release point, and gradually increase the RPM's each time you try it, until the wheel comes up so high you have to roll off the throttle a tad. You may want to cover your rear brake while you are learning this as well, in case you go too high. Standing up fast, will also help put the front end back down if you over do it. Remember these things!

Shifting
Ok, so now you have the front wheel up. How do you keep it up? Shift! It's actually much easier then it seems. When you can ride a long ways in first gear without being full-throttle, you are more than ready to shift. My favorite way to shift, is without the clutch. If you haven't done clutchless shifts before, practice on two wheels first. To do a clutchless shift, apply upward pressure to the shift lever, while you are full on the gas, then just briefly snap the throttle, off an on again. This is the fastest way to shift. When on one wheel, you have to get the front wheel really high, to the point where you need to let off the gas from tipping over. At this point, shift! Balance and practice are both important steps here. Practice those clutchless shifts.

Bringing it down.
So now your front wheel is going down. Either because you got scared and let off the gas, or you just don't have the power to keep it up. Make sure that your front wheel is pointing straight ahead, and keep the throttle open Wide! You want to set the front wheel down as easy as possible. If you chop the throttle, your landing will be very hard, so stay on the gas! Or if you need to come down, just briefly roll off the gas, then get right back on it again, until the front wheel sets down. Expect a chirping noise, and sometimes at higher speeds a bit of a wobble, bu
Old 01-30-2003, 11:15 PM

mattdedes is an unknown quantity at this point
"very difficult with a front wheel drive vehicle" haha i would hope so
Old 01-30-2003, 11:59 PM

Nasty is an unknown quantity at this point
damn bro you're havin a fat *** convo with urself!!!:D or you have split personalities.... lol
Old 01-31-2003, 12:06 AM

KrazyKris750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude...you have wayyyy to much time on your hands
Old 01-31-2003, 12:29 AM

just to confirm this w/ TV land. I didn't write these, I just have too much time on my hands and found other dorks that did.

Last edited by -Rodger-; 01-31-2003 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:37 AM

Re: help is on the way...

Shifting
Ok, so now you have the front wheel up. How do you keep it up? Shift! It's actually much easier then it seems. When you can ride a long ways in first gear without being full-throttle, you are more than ready to shift. My favorite way to shift, is without the clutch. If you haven't done clutchless shifts before, practice on two wheels first. To do a clutchless shift, apply upward pressure to the shift lever, while you are full on the gas, then just briefly snap the throttle, off an on again. This is the fastest way to shift. When on one wheel, you have to get the front wheel really high, to the point where you need to let off the gas from tipping over. At this point, shift! Balance and practice are both important steps here. Practice those clutchless shifts.
my new favorite part.

for all you newbies out there. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DONT WANT TO DO. LEARN TO BALANCE INSTEAD
Old 01-31-2003, 12:54 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Re: help is on the way...

my new favorite part.

for all you newbies out there. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DONT WANT TO DO. LEARN TO BALANCE INSTEAD
I've never shifted in a wheelie.. never even tried. I wonder if I can do it
Old 01-31-2003, 01:04 AM

now that i got my wooo woo exhaust all hooked up. Im gonna start shiftin my whooolies to change the pitch of my wooo wooz cuz of the rev change.

Old 01-31-2003, 02:05 PM

Skuba Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
All that **** looks like it could be interesting. But if I wanted to read a novel I would just go to calss.

Sorry:D
Old 01-31-2003, 02:13 PM

mattdedes is an unknown quantity at this point
damn rodg i cant believe you took the time to write all that, dont deny it, you wrote it
Old 01-31-2003, 02:19 PM

ctrl+C, ctrl+V, waaala
Old 01-31-2003, 11:32 PM
1 footer wheelies!

Sillyneck is an unknown quantity at this point
"Alcohol may impede wheelie ability and result in loss of control"

:D seemed to help me out when I was learning :D