Off-duty cop claims to see me doing a wheelie..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:54 PM

MustangThief is an unknown quantity at this point
Off-duty cop claims to see me doing a wheelie..

Okay guys I need some advice, today a cop showed up at my house saying he saw me while he was off-duty yesterday doing a wheelie. He really layed into me hardcore he was even swearing at me. I convinced him it wasn't me since he gave me a time-frame he saw me and everything, i told him i was in school and could get proof. He is 100% convinced that one of my friends came by and rode it and did the stunts then. He said "whoever" did it is looking at a wreckless op ticket.
He had the ticket written out but he said he'd hang onto it in case someone came forward.

My main question is, SERIOUSLY can an off-duty police officer write a f*cking ticket the next day ? WTF? I was 100% under the impression he couldn't do that.

He was saying he was going to impound the bike and write me 4 wreckless op tickets if i didn't admit it (this was earlier in the conversation, he said he saw the bike do 4 wheelies so that's 4 tickets)

Should I get a lawyer or can he legally write me a ticket even though he was off-duty??
Old 09-22-2004, 04:01 PM

2five0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Off-duty cop claims to see me doing a wheelie..

i don't know but did you accualty doit or does your freinds ride your bike and do whoolies
Old 09-22-2004, 04:02 PM

TimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to beholdTimsKFX400 is a splendid one to behold

i really dont think he can do anything. the only reason he could, ofcourse, would be if he was on duty. he woulda had to shown u some proof.
wouldnt hurt to get others opinions. hell, try just callin a lawyer, mite help u out for sure.
good luck bro.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:06 PM

NegligenceRyda is an unknown quantity at this point

let him right u a ticket , go to court and plead not guilty ,
it will probly get dropped
Old 09-22-2004, 04:06 PM

Well the thing that pisses me off is how rude he was, and the fact that he had my plate number scribbled on his hand in pen

Oh and he was like "i can go pull the video of the wheelie from the station" but he only said that once cuz he knows he's lying about it, because as far as i know off-duty cops don't have video in their cars...

but what pisses me off is when i pulled up he was already in the drive way with the ticket written out, he was actually going to leave it on my door or something, what the ****, seriously.

This country is ****ed up for some ******* to be able to see you off-duty then the NEXT DAY come to work and drive to your house and write you a ticket.

Does anyone know if this is technically legal since I never admitted one thing?
Old 09-22-2004, 04:18 PM

korbar is an unknown quantity at this point

My ex's father was a cop and said there is no off duty if you are a cop and they can write tickets whenever they want. But he also said if one of the cops under him was writing tickets while he was off duty he would find plenty of "bullshit" work for him when he was on duty so as to discourage any future off duty tickets
Old 09-22-2004, 04:22 PM

Well he didn't write the ticket off-duty. He actually witnessed it YESTERDAY, came to work TODAY, and decided "hey i'll write that guy a ticket i saw last night!"

Seriously what the hell is that? How is that justifiable?

I'm really really pissed off right now. He totally could of let this go. But noooo he is demanding to either ticket someoen or impound my bike, and no one is going to admit this so if he impounds my bike i'm going to be 100% pissed off.

Has this happened to anyone before? How did you get out of it or did you go down for it?
Old 09-22-2004, 04:27 PM

verticalfrank is a decent person

Originally Posted by MustangThief
Well he didn't write the ticket off-duty. He actually witnessed it YESTERDAY, came to work TODAY, and decided "hey i'll write that guy a ticket i saw last night!"

Seriously what the hell is that? How is that justifiable?

I'm really really pissed off right now. He totally could of let this go. But noooo he is demanding to either ticket someoen or impound my bike, and no one is going to admit this so if he impounds my bike i'm going to be 100% pissed off.

Has this happened to anyone before? How did you get out of it or did you go down for it?

I had something similar happen once, and it was total bs. I don't know what the laws are out there but if the ticket is not issued in 24 hrs. they can't write it....the guy is probably just trying to be a superhero. Besides unless he actually caught you how can he positively ID you if you were wearing a helmet? I'm pretty sure there's a helmet law in OH right?
Old 09-22-2004, 04:28 PM
dedrater

verticaljay is a decent person

talk to teach, that happend to him and the tickets stuck
Old 09-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Dax

Dax is an unknown quantity at this point

Since it was a moving violation wouldn't he have to write the ticket out specifically for the individual and not the bike. If I get pulled over for speeding in my wifes car, they don't write her a ticket, they would write me one.

I would say that you are pretty safe, I believe he still needs to prove that it was you on the bike.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:34 PM
*****SL.COM OG*****

TILLER is an unknown quantity at this point

3 words

Blame The Starboyz!!!!!

but seriously they can give u a ticket whenever they feel, and i dont believe it matters if its not the same day.. his word is truth(so they believe) and judges always side with them.

last ? .. who was wheeling yer bike ?
Old 09-22-2004, 04:40 PM

Luke is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, he can write you a ticket whenever he wants for whatever he wants. Its your job to prove your innocence. There is no such thing as an "off-duty" cop. If they see someone breaking the law, it is their responsibility to write up the infraction. He was probably just getting off his shift but still in his cruiser. Good luck with that, but your probably going to eat the ticket unless you can prove you didn't do it. Not fair, but thats how the cookie crumbles.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:53 PM
I Love To Post!

motopsyko32 will become famous soon enough

tomorrow when he comes over, dont answer the door unless he has a search warrant and keep the bike inside your property so he cant tow it...
Old 09-22-2004, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by motopsyko32
tomorrow when he comes over, dont answer the door unless he has a search warrant and keep the bike inside your property so he cant tow it...
I was under the impression he could impound it wether it's on my property or not. He gets permission from a judge to impound it pending an investigation and bam, he's got legal rights to come take it.

I'm gonna call him tomorrow and tell him none of my friends came forward cuz they don't want a wreckless op ticket.

If he says "well then you're getting the ticket" or if he says "then i'm impounding the bike" i'll just say "well i'm calling my lawyer"
Old 09-22-2004, 05:07 PM
ags

ags is an unknown quantity at this point

did he get you on a dash cam.....prollly not.
what kind of proof does the cop need to write you a ticket
Old 09-22-2004, 05:36 PM
1 footer wheelies!

Sillyneck is an unknown quantity at this point

next time he comes on the property distract the cop and have a friend spray paint the pass side of the cop car. that's always entertaining
Old 09-22-2004, 05:42 PM
**** BULLSHITTERS

Merk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TILLER
last ? .. who was wheeling yer bike ?
that is completely irrelevant and i wouldnt answer that question on this website cause ***** fat bald headed dick suckin cops cruise this site

anyway there is no proof that you were the one on your bike and if you can prove such as school, that you were not on the road at that time i would call a lawyer and have the lawyer contact that sexually frustrated ******* lickin ****** cop
Old 09-22-2004, 05:47 PM

Luke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MustangThief
I was under the impression he could impound it wether it's on my property or not. He gets permission from a judge to impound it pending an investigation and bam, he's got legal rights to come take it.

I'm gonna call him tomorrow and tell him none of my friends came forward cuz they don't want a wreckless op ticket.

If he says "well then you're getting the ticket" or if he says "then i'm impounding the bike" i'll just say "well i'm calling my lawyer"
Great, call your lawyer, in the mean time your *** is getting the ticket, and in my state, a wreckless is also jail time! I dont know where your from, but this could also be the same for you too. So, while you get a lawyer, you might be sharing cells with Duke and eating dog ****!

Cops dont need a "reason" to write you a ticket, trust me, they can come up with something.

On the other hand, if you can "support" the statement that you were in school, then you are in the clear. I say support, because you cant PROVE you were in school. A teacher can say they took roll and you were there, but they dont remember you participating, must mean you skipped out after roll! Thats how our system works...sorry!

Now the true question comes to a head...if you actually DID do it, you are screwed! They will find a way to prove it. If you didn't do it, you have a lot of things on your side.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Merk
that is completely irrelevant and i wouldnt answer that question on this website cause ***** fat bald headed dick suckin cops cruise this site

anyway there is no proof that you were the one on your bike and if you can prove such as school, that you were not on the road at that time i would call a lawyer and have the lawyer contact that sexually frustrated ******* lickin ****** cop
No, or else i wouldn't have started the thread!!!

I have college from 5:30 to 6:30, we get out of class at like 6:30-6:40ish usually, and he said he saw me at 6:30, well i have my dad , mother, and girlfriend to testify that i took my car to school, so that's impossible for me to get home and back on the road by his time.

My sister had a funny idea, since he says he definitely saw someone riding my bike at 6:30 while i was jsut leaving college and IN MY CAR, i should report the bike stolen and returned, especially since he mentioned he "had video"

I'll call him tomorrow and tell him with his "evidence" i'd like to report the bike stolen and returned, and find out who took my bike for that period of time.

*IF* I end up getting screwed on this and getting a ticket i swear to God i'm moving to another country.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:49 PM

eksplisit is an unknown quantity at this point

Laws are different everywhere but as far as I know, off-duty cops can give you a ticket, but not the NEXT DAY. That's some ****, I'd be 100% pissed too. You should try look up the laws on that or just get a lawyer.

Quick Reply: Off-duty cop claims to see me doing a wheelie..