new idea for a handbrake???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 11:22 AM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point
new idea for a handbrake???

Was just thinking about this and came up with an idea. Ya know the second cable the is hooked up to the twist throttle (which is there just in case the throttle sticks)? Couldn't that be replaced with a longer cable and some how hooked up to the rear brake? Then after grinding off the stop on the twist throttle assembly, you would be able to operate the throttle and rear brake with the same hand, with no more levers.

Any takers? I don't have the time or money to play around with this stuff.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:58 PM

TEDDY.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: new idea for a handbrake???

Originally Posted by f4rider
Was just thinking about this and came up with an idea. Ya know the second cable the is hooked up to the twist throttle (which is there just in case the throttle sticks)? Couldn't that be replaced with a longer cable and some how hooked up to the rear brake? Then after grinding off the stop on the twist throttle assembly, you would be able to operate the throttle and rear brake with the same hand, with no more levers.

Any takers? I don't have the time or money to play around with this stuff.
it would suck for a few reasons
1) you would have no safety in case your throttle DID stick
2) IF you could hook it up you'd have to turn the throttle SO hard to get any brake action out of it
3) if i understand what your saying, the brake would be operated by turning the throttle backwards?? that would really suck because every time you went to use the brake(not the rear brake) you would go throught the engine range where it would cause engine braking. also you would have to have the idle up for everything since you wouldn't be able to use the gas and brake at the same time.

not to bust on you but keep thinking
Old 09-16-2004, 12:59 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

it could probably be made to physically operate the rear brake, but it wouldn't be pratical. you need to be able to use the throttle and handbrake independantly but at the same time
Old 09-16-2004, 01:47 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the drawing board
Old 09-16-2004, 03:02 PM
**** BULLSHITTERS

Merk is an unknown quantity at this point

if someone makes it ill try that ****....sounds really interesting, like a safety net for engine brake....for faster **** like combos and whatnot i think that would be kinda dope, but for slow idle **** i think it would be a bitch.....someone make it i wanna try that ****

but if your lookin for a cheap handbrake kit check out www.fullthrottleinc.net the **** this guy makes is off the ****in chain, tell im i told you about it....bills my boy!!
Old 09-16-2004, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Merk
if someone makes it ill try that ****....sounds really interesting, like a safety net for engine brake....for faster **** like combos and whatnot i think that would be kinda dope, but for slow idle **** i think it would be a bitch.....someone make it i wanna try that ****

but if your lookin for a cheap handbrake kit check out www.fullthrottleinc.net the **** this guy makes is off the ****in chain, tell im i told you about it....bills my boy!!
You said cheap....so do you mean it ain't worth it or not expensive? I checked out that link. Bill's **** looks pretty tight! Would you rock one?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:47 PM

Bender is an unknown quantity at this point

Fellas, outside the Square, what about putting it on the other Bar.....have 2 twist grips.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:11 PM

N*A*M is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bender
Fellas, outside the Squar, what about putting it on the other Bar.....have 2 twist grips.
now we're getting somewhere
Old 09-16-2004, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by N*A*M
now we're getting somewhere
Goin with the Throttle Brake on the LH Bar....

Ok ok, Im gonna imagine this on a 99 Blade, just so I can visualise....

If you had a throttle from a 93 Fireblade (one with a seperate on/off switch) and a Brake Piston (say from a rear brake) you could possible set the throttle cable up to pull on the Brake piston and operate the rear brake. iwith the back of the piston mounted to the bar and the front (the ram of the piston) pointing forward.

Or you could use an standard front brake, Chop off 1/2 the leaver, mount the front brake on the LH side of the bar, connect the upper throttle cable to the front leaver and the Lower throttle cable to a spring return of some sort so the throttle returned to the correct position.

Still thinking....
Old 09-16-2004, 09:02 PM

just though of another one, maybe a different setup to a cable, perhaps mounting the brake on a vertical facing down parallel to the bar so that pressure would be applied from the bottom to operate the leaver (as if you were lifting the front end using the handle bar to lift, then you could put a metal rod point forwards straight from the bottom of the throttle to the brake leaver, so when the throttle was rolled back the leaver will lift up connecting to the front leaver and in turn operating the rear brake, this would also mean that very little movement would be required from the throttle. (Depending on just how long that rod was)
Old 09-17-2004, 01:51 AM
**** BULLSHITTERS

Merk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MSE_STUNNERZ
You said cheap....so do you mean it ain't worth it or not expensive? I checked out that link. Bill's **** looks pretty tight! Would you rock one?
i mean not expensive....and hell yea im rockin one on my f4i and my 929

its definatly worth it man 110%
Old 09-17-2004, 10:46 AM

I got everything for a rear hand brake except the brake line, banjo bolt and i need a welder. Other than that, Bill's set up looks pimp though
Old 09-17-2004, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by TEDDY.B
it would suck for a few reasons
1) you would have no safety in case your throttle DID stick
2) IF you could hook it up you'd have to turn the throttle SO hard to get any brake action out of it
3) if i understand what your saying, the brake would be operated by turning the throttle backwards?? that would really suck because every time you went to use the brake(not the rear brake) you would go throught the engine range where it would cause engine braking. also you would have to have the idle up for everything since you wouldn't be able to use the gas and brake at the same time.

not to bust on you but keep thinking
I'm back!!!!
OK...
1. If there was enough friction in the throttle assembly to make the throttle stick, there would be no way you could ride a decent wheelie with it. If you keep the throttle assembly greased and friction free (which helps in riding smooth wheelies in the first place) the throttle won't stick unless something breaks.
2. Not if you hooked it up to the brake with the right amount of leverage.
3. I never use the brake and the throttle at the same time, (except for revlimiter coasters). When you don't have the idle up, you use the engine brake before using the brake anyway. The brake (for doing hwy wheelies) is only used when you go back too far; when the engine brake alone will not bring it foward.

I'm still thinking
Old 09-18-2004, 05:02 PM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

#1 THE SECOND CABLE SNAPS THE BUTTERFLIES CLOSED AT THE CARB\THROTTLE BODIES AND IS NOT THERE JUST IN CASE IT STICKS. #2 A CABLE OPERATED BRAKE INSTEAD OF A HYDRAULIC WOULD NOT PROVIDE ENOUGH BRAKING POWER. #3 YOU WOULD HAVE TO LET OFF THE GAS TO OPERATE THE BRAKE CABLE WHICH WOULD PUT YOU BACK ON TWO WHEELS.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:17 PM

TEDDY.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MR. RYAN SMITH
#1 THE SECOND CABLE SNAPS THE BUTTERFLIES CLOSED AT THE CARB\THROTTLE BODIES AND IS NOT THERE JUST IN CASE IT STICKS.
the cable IS there in case it sticks, the spring on the butterflies makes them close. the second cable should have nothing to do with the operation if everything is normal.

f4i rider- i'm not saying that was a strong point, just saying "in case" peorsonally i've never had a throttle stick, even if you did you could pull in the clutch

2. Not if you hooked it up to the brake with the right amount of leverage.
i hear ya, but if you have more leverage, you would have longer pull(twist)

i see what you mean about the last part, i'm thinking for other things i guess, i'd want to use the gas/brake seperatly.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:14 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

the real question here is what wrong w/ using a hand brake lever?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by a56kuser
the real question here is what wrong w/ using a hand brake lever?
1. Cant use the brake and clutch at the same time with the lever.
2. You wouldn't have to learn to use the twist brake. It would be natural. When you go back too far with out your foot on the brake, you automatically say "oh ****" and twist backwards on the throttle as hard as you can.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:29 AM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by f4rider
1. Cant use the brake and clutch at the same time with the lever.
2. You wouldn't have to learn to use the twist brake. It would be natural. When you go back too far with out your foot on the brake, you automatically say "oh ****" and twist backwards on the throttle as hard as you can.
true true.......but think about when doing other tricks....... would it be really smart to be locking your back tire when doing highchairs.........hey it could happen to the best of us.