stunt wars judging

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 05:28 PM

PRESTON is an unknown quantity at this point
All riders that participate the most should get together and make a standard judging floor.

Steve, thanks for thinking it was us on the 2up 12 but it wasn't at least not this time around.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:13 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
Originally posted by TrikChik
I think that there needs to be an amateur day, too.
There were ALOT of bikes at Stuntwars that never got unloaded.
Instead of open practice on Saturday, have Amateur Day.
More entries = more $$$$
I unloaded my bike.

Then I loaded it back up about 6hours later and never once started it
Old 01-26-2003, 11:50 PM
PsychoBuells Crazy Cracka

JAGMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW Great thread! Trust me, I have been watching this thread...letting it develop if you will. I read so many things people said and so many of you have great points. I feel like I am in the hot seat because I want Psychofest to be the best it can be, and I want the riders and spectators to all go away from this feeling like they have had a great time and an incredible experience. I have some thoughts on Stuntwars even though it is a tad bit off topic.

I came to Stuntwars for multiple reasons...the most obvious was to meet everyone and I had never been to a "major" event before as a rider and I really wanted to get involved. I convinced my team to all go and brought them 1200 miles fully intending to compete. We are by no means pros, but we have some very talented riders, and where going to give it our best shot. Without going into a long story...the atmosphere was not only intimidating, but I think a little out of control. For the pros who ride with each other all the time or the guys who ride Lakeland all the time, it was normal and cool! My guys looked at the chaos and thought we were out of our league. Hesitantly, we all got our bikes off the trailer and prepared to ride. As the day went on, organized chaos turned to pure madness! Instead of each guy going one at a time...5 or 6 guys where blazing the track at one time. You would get a squirly rider, like us, who had not road their bikes in three months trying to pull off their sickest trick of last summer and instead ended up just trying not to get killed as they roamed unintentionally into the other lane where 4 or 5 guys where ripping straight at you! There were several close calls and then a major wreck, one of my guys, and my team decided that we did not belong out there any longer, putting ourselves or others at risk in an environment that was getting hairier every minute towards the end of the practice session. I do think everyone should have the chance to warm up, but I feel less practice and some organized events might have served us well.

This leads me to a point that TrikChick brought up...Amateur Day. My team does not ride at the level of a 1096, PBR, or xXx....and nor should we have had to compete against them. I do agree that there was NO ROOM for amatuer events Sunday. I think however, if we spent saturday morning giving everyone several hours to practice...lets say from 8-12 or 9-12, we could then offer some amatuer events that afternoon. It would allow all the "unknowns" to get out and compete without the intimidation of riding against a 1096 plus Chauncey and Ronni combo! Those guys put a HELL OF A SHOW ON and they are there to entertain and win some loot, but to have a team like mine try to beat them??? Come on... You get the point!

I would like to see amatuer events at Psychofest and I am going to push to make it happen! It has multiple benefits...it will clear up more room on Sunday because the guys who really belong in amatuer events will not feel obligated to compete Sunday which will give us more time to play to the crowd. We will have a quick awards and picture session after each event for the crowds viewing pleasure andsm words from the winner! Keeping the crowd involved is key!!! Sorry this is a bit off topic, but it was posed in a few of the replys.

Judging...I think that is always going to be tough. We will have specific criteria and it will be enforced. I have to agree that from an entertainment value, Crazy Dan was in fact the man, however from a rules point of view or just from a competitors point of view, I can see why there is a bit of an up roar! Everyone wants to be treated fairly, and if it is percieved that the rules where not held up to the t, then you will have people upset. Dan actually did pull off the trick...it is not a matter of how long he did a backwards burnout, or how he finished it, it is just that he did it, and that is SICK! BUT...was it a brand new trick??? Did he complete all necessary runs? Did anyone in the crowd know he tried a no handed stoppie? All these things are partially unclear or unanswered, thus the controversy. I think the argument can be looked at in so many ways! I do not think anyone challenges Dan's commitment and desire to see this sport grow in a positive way...it is over and done with, but I think we all see both sides of the argument, and hopefully can make the next event smoother and more defind for both the competitors and the spectators!

My 2 pennies...
JAGMAN

Sorry for rambling...so much good info here, and I think we all want to see every event get better and better!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:56 AM
dedrater

verticaljay is a decent person
2 up 12

Steve, thanks for thinking it was us on the 2up 12 but it wasn't at least not this time around.
Just an FYI the 2 up 12 was done by Chris and Dave of the Vertical Outlaws.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:27 PM

Scott@STUNTERS is an unknown quantity at this point
Very interesting thread guys.... I did not see the actual sickest trick event, so I do not want to express any of my views.

If anybody ever needs a judge for an event, I would love to do it, if I'm not running a stunters.com booth or something, lol....

I always there to help w/ judging,
Old 01-27-2003, 10:44 PM

PRESTON is an unknown quantity at this point
the crowd

The crowd should be the judge of the sickest trick and burnout.
We know what is sick but the crowds WOW reaction and applause should determine the winner.
What the crowd things is sick down here might not think the same somewhere else. It promotes crowd participation
Old 01-27-2003, 11:43 PM

mattdedes is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Scott@STUNTERS
Very interesting thread guys.... I did not see the actual sickest trick event, so I do not want to express any of my views.

If anybody ever needs a judge for an event, I would love to do it, if I'm not running a stunters.com booth or something, lol....

I always there to help w/ judging,
hell yeah id love to do some judging, im definitly not biased to anyone :D :D
Old 01-28-2003, 01:06 AM

MI Xtremes Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
i thought the judging was a bit sketchy, but thats how we learn to make the next show better, is by everyones idea. if we all want our sport to take off like other sports that have recently gone big, we all have to work together. so lets do it, 'cause i sure as hell want to be on espn, don't you?
Old 01-28-2003, 08:20 AM
2 Up or Shut Up

wheeliesteve is an unknown quantity at this point
good ideas gina and anthony. i hope someone is taking notes. the first stuntfest there was amateur events. it was my first event and i entered amateur. it was nice to know i didn't have to go up against 10-96 and some of those other pros. it gave me a confidence booster to enter the pro events after that. i like the part about writing down what stunt you're gonna do. good ideas everyone. this is how things will get better. and yes thomas i helped you judge the final xsba event. if you ever need me to in the future i will be happy to.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:22 AM
2 Up or Shut Up

wheeliesteve is an unknown quantity at this point
have a tandem event. i saw several people out there doing tandem stunts during practice. sorry guys about the mistake on the 2-up. vertical outlaws are the ****!! love that trick.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:29 AM
dedrater

verticaljay is a decent person
2 up 12

Thanks for the props steve

Lookin forward to ridin again wit everyone durin bike week.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:36 AM
PsychoBuells Crazy Cracka

JAGMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok...here are my thoughts for Psychofest as I take in all these comments. Please post feedback on this. It is alot of info, but it is important so PLEASE read it.

Saturday I will open the gates at 8am for open practice. We will have a "control" section of the track...it most likely will be at the end of the track very much like Lakeland. This section will be as controlled as possible, but as long as it is slow, technical tricks, I am not too concerned. The guys doing those tricks know how to stay untangled for the most part. We will also have a "Speed" section where riders will be released to go ONE AT A TIME up the track while ONE other rider comes back the other side. It is a quarter mile track so there is PLENTY of room for each rider to do what they need to do in a pass. YES, there will be a line you have to wait in at each end, but it will move very quickly. The riders who can't play by these rules will be removed from the track. It is dangerous, and just not worth the risk to have it be a free for all. This practice will be open to both Pro and Amateur riders from 8am until Noon.

Saturday at noon we will clear the track and will set up for the amateur events that will start at 12:30pm SHARP. We will pick three events for amateur riders to compete in. I do not think we will have time for more than three events for Amateurs Saturday, but if we do, we will have a back up plan to add a final event at the end of the afternoon.

Now...how do you decide amateur vs. pro. Well, I hope this is for the most part obvious but I have come up with what I percieve is a fair and reasonable idea on that. If you have competed in any major events as a pro and won a top 3 spot, you are pro. If you have NOT won a spot and feel your still a pro...then do not enter an amateur event. Common sense. I would like to see my event have the top amateur from each event on the amateur day have the chance to enter the pro comps the next day if he or she chooses. This allows two things to happen. We have a good amateur event where good riders have the chance to compete without the intimidation of riding against the pro class riders, and we have kind of a qualification run for Sunday which frees up some more time for the pros Sunday. Now, if for some reason we have an amateur event where the top two finishers have mastered skill levels comparable to a pros for instance in timed stoppie or longest stoppie, it will be my call as to whether they can compete in the pro event. I think that will not be an issue, but it is possible for an amateur who has NEVER competed and does not consider themselves pro, to have mastered a certain trick. Those people will be moved on to pro class Sunday for that event ONLY if I feel they can be an honest contender. I think this is fair.

Sunday, we will open the track again for controlled practice. We will open the gates at 8am again and run it until 10am...so for those who feel they need more practice or missed Saturdays, you will not want to party too hard Saturday night. WE WILL NOT BE ALLOWING RIDERS OF ANY SKILL LEVEL OR STATURE OUT ON THE TRACK BETWEEN EVENTS!!! That was the stupidest and most unorganized part of Stuntwars! No one in the stands knew when people were actually competeing or just jerkin around! We also will not be allowing practice Sunday off the track. The track owner has already made it clear ALL riding will be on the track or those people will be removed. Pro events start at 10:30am SHARP!!! We will have 4 events with shows between events by Core6, PBR, and Team Xtreem. After each event, we will have a quick awards ceremony with top three with bikes for pictures. The riders will bring their bikes out into the middle of the track, get their picture taken and then have a couple seconds to thank the fans and their sponsors! THIS WILL BE PART OF MY EVENT FOR SURE!!! They will then get off the track and one of the headlining shows will start. It will be a great day with lots of time for all the pro riders to entertain the crowd and enjoy the event. As much as I loved Stuntwars, I wanted to see PBR, xXx, and Redline ALL show off. I know Kyle's situation made that difficult, but I really think that is an important part of the day!

Lastly...judging...hmmm, this is a tough one! Honestly, my team wanted to judge the events when I designed this event. We felt we were a non-bias opinion and are very well aware of difficulty of all the tricks. Most of the pro events are not judged...they are timed or measured, but for those that require judging like Team Comp and Sickest Trick...well maybe we should do WOW factor and let the crowd decide. Now the problem with this is that the crowd may very well pick the guy that was the MOST fun to watch and not the guy who did the toughest trick. We may be doing a pro a dis-service by allowing this to happen, but in the end, it is the fans that will make or break these events. I have NO issue with picking a panel of judges, but if we just let my team do it, we will have fair and consistant judging throughout the event. I am DEFINITLY LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON THIS!!! We will have specific rules on judged events that will be VERY clear to both riders and judges, and if they are borken it is disqualification irregardless. This keeps it fair for everyone.

Ok...lots of information, but I would appreciate feedback on it as I am preparing everyday for this event, and I want to have this stuff nailed down for June! It is only 4 months away friends...it will be here before you know it!

JAGMAN