new wheelier question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Who needs roads!?

GPcrew is an unknown quantity at this point
new wheelier question

im just starting to get this wheelie thing workin fo me and i have a problem , im 17, i have a 02 yzf600r and with crashing it in march i owe bout 6g's on it, and since im just starting to wheelie im figureing there is a great chance of me f'in up and ether loopin or just droping. so anyway i get it up bout foot or little more and i put it down , mostly out of fear, not beacause i dont want to get hurt cause ive aready had hand surgury over wrecking it befor but its out of $$. i shure in hell dont want to owe more than i do on it and its my only transportation to work and $hit. i have shitty job so i dont make tons of $$. i know if i had a beater bike to learn to stunt on it would calm my neves when im doing sheot. i heard on some thread that 1 part of stunting is not giving a $hit about your bike and not karing if you drop it or crash, i can easyly picture this theory in my head and was wondering if it was true? i strongly think i should pick up a beater to do stupid crap on, i think it will eez my mind alitle and i wont always be thinking "what if" any input would be gratly appreciated.... also, another question is wheather i should get another 600 so im semi used to it or should i go with somthing bigger to make "some things" easyer like a 9 or even a liter bike ? again ,any input will be greatly appreciated.....

FTP :YEAH
Old 08-15-2004, 03:02 AM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: new wheelier question

im with ya mang. my 954 is mint and i feel bad wheelie'ing it like i do but who cares. i owe 6k on it and havent ****ed it up yet. im tempted to buy a beater bike and probably will within the next year. my advice to you is to just keep learning. take it slow, keep bringing it up 1ft, when your comfortable doing that bring it up 2ft, then bring it up 3ft, and so on. eventually you'll get used to having the front wheel in the air and then you'll really progress. one day it felt like something just clicked and my wheelies stayed up much longer than ever before. take it slow brother
Old 08-15-2004, 04:18 AM

MD600 is an unknown quantity at this point

one day it felt like something just clicked and my wheelies stayed up much longer than ever before.
exactly.. when i was learning, i was trying em for about a week, then something clicked and i was ridin em for a while... then 2 months later i wrecked a 2nd gear rear pegger at 95mph.... not fun.... just be careful
Old 08-15-2004, 09:18 AM

InTheWind is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't wreck a bike you owe dough on because it hurts...
Old 08-15-2004, 10:53 AM

SuzukiJoe can only hope to improve

I'm with the other guys, just take it slow and you'll do fine. It takes time to get comfortable with wheelies and I guess you really should never get to comfortable with them, because **** can always go wrong. Just take things at your own pace..... Good luck
Old 08-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Clutchitup.com

2 Vicious Freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

If ur gonna start ****** around on ur bike, U have to accept the fact that ur gonna dump it.

If u wanna keep it pretty then keep it on the ground.

Cuz when ur learnin u always mess up. I just started learnin stuff and i already Looped my bike once, and dumped it 3 times tryin to learn stuff

the other thing u can think about is a crash cage. I put a cage on my bike, then looped it 2 days later in a 2nd gear at about 60, and the cage SAVED the bike, all i got was a rashed tail and a busted rearset bracket. Without the cage the bike would have been totaled.

in closing, if u love ur bike and don't want it to get hurt, Keep them both on the ground until u can afford a beater
Old 08-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Who needs roads!?

thanks everybody for the feedback, its not that i love my bike "i have had it for 6 months and havent washed it" its that if i loop and kill the bike my mom is gonna be soooo pissed because its all under her name and its my only transportation so geting to work would be a beotch w/out it. plus i aint got cage or sliders on it so it would get seriously f'ed up. i think i should stick with the 1 or 2 footers till i can get a crunchy bike to f up.. like i wouldent kare if i bought a bike for 1500 or somthing and threw a cage on it and whent out to my local church parking lot and dumped it 1000 times trying to get it up high enough to satisfy me. do u fellas think i should go with another 600 or get a 750 or 9 or somthin? whatever i get its not gonna be like my 600r because nobody makes cages fo it so its gonna have to be mainstream like f4i or 900rr or gixxer or somthing like that. any sugesstions?
Old 08-15-2004, 05:35 PM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point

stay with a 600 unless you can get a good deal on a bigger bike. sounds like you dont have too many miles under your belt so stick with a 600(they'll do any trick in the book anyway)
Old 08-15-2004, 07:57 PM

iwannagixxer is an unknown quantity at this point

im getting an 04 600 soon, and im gonna stunt the **** out of it.

bikes were made to wheelie. take the bus to work.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:19 PM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point

take all the plastic off and find sum1 to build u cage
Old 08-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Who needs roads!?

yea your right i dont have mutch unda my belt , at most 3k. ill proble be able to find 6 cheaper too. do you guys cover the rear break when u wheelie? my **** is up too high for me to comfortably cover. other day i was in a parkin lot tryin to get it up and it came up too mutch for comfort and my right foot came off the peg and front wheel came down fast and i racked nuts hard on tank, i had to get off and walk around for like 2 min paceing feeling like i got kicked in the nuts by somone that legpresses 2000 pounds. oh im shure it wasent that high ether i just said o **** in my mind and felt like i lost control of myself, i thought i was gonna crash cause i just closed the trottle without thinking bout it and right leg got mind of its own on my ***. there was 2 mail truck drivers meeting in the lot and they proble saw it happen . o well ill admit i suck did anyone learn how to wheelie solely on a 600 or bigger because the only experiance i have doin wheelies is i poped a couple on a duel purose dirt bike 125 and they sucked. so im trying to learn on a 6 is that good or bad? the wheelies on the dirt bike wherent even wheelies in my book, i sat there still on the bike not moving and puled in clutch and like redlined and dumped and it stood up and rolled to about 5 foot away every time and i conciderd it a wheelie back then but now i dont even think it is.
when u get up higher than u ever have befor is it normal to freek out? or am i just a puss?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:30 PM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point

i learned on that exact bike. it was an 01 tho. but i sold it after i went thru two 2nd gears (then my dumbass bought another yamaha with the same problem!!! but i dint lose 2nd yet on this one). i never use the rear break on standups, only slow stuff and i still just seem to bail but u can def. learn on that bike. either learn in 1st or if ur brave go -1 up front or +3 out back and learn in 2nd
Old 08-16-2004, 02:04 AM

Rolla1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by catach42
take all the plastic off and find sum1 to build u cage
I agree. If you don't have the $ to get a crunchy (it seems like you don't because you're so worried about this bike) then try and make your bike more crash resistant... I'm talkin' a cage and maybe some extended sliders for the tail/muffler.

I remember seeing one of the OM videos where a dude dumps his gixxer, and nothing hit the ground except the cage and sliders, try and make your bike like that and THEN rock the **** out of it :YEAH :YEAH
Old 08-17-2004, 05:06 PM
♠ Азик Жфдгот ♠

kingyeddi is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned to wheelie on a CBR600F3. They were pretty nice n long ones, but I was only doin em for about a month (and just every once and awhile, not really 'practice'), but before I could really learn to kill it, I had to sell the bike (money problems, long story).

Since I had no streetbike (and just HAD to ride!), I learned to wheelie my cousins XR80(wich was actually ALOT harder to wheelie than the 600, to me), but an afternoon of practice, I pretty much had it down (learned with my feet off to the side 1st), and by the next day I was rockin em feet up in 2nd gear for a pretty good distance. Now I can rock out on the 80 like WOAH! and go as long as I want, curves? Kiddy shtuff. Shocks the hell outta people around here. But its crazy, like I developed another sense that I didnt have back when I had my 600. Now if I jumped back on my old bike, I'd go the **** off!!

Anyway, I guess its kinda like what so many on here say about learning on the XR50, except I couldnt tell you because I've never ridden an XR50(lol). But I'd say find sombody with a XR50 or XR80, and rock out on the little bike for a couple afternoons (may take you longer, but keep at it- dont give up), and you'll catch on. You'll surprise yourself.

Now go rip **** up dude!!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Who needs roads!?

how mutch are those 50'sor 80? i kinda wanna get one now that alli hear is get one and youl be hittin it in no time from everybody!!!! ahh i need one. anyway im gonna get a cage cause i took my mom out to the p-lot and showed here what i was doin, i dident really get a nice one up for her but she said i was getin like a foot mabee little more up and shes like,"we need to get you full coverage insurance, and im like and a cage and shes like yea that too. she said once i start geting some paychecks from my new job shell help me get a cage "new job is deacent for 17 yr old goin to school , i should be gittin like bout 500/per month so i should be able to make my payments easy and with change$$$$." so ill be gittin a cage within the next month or so , she said till i get full cover and cage to take it easy trying to learn. she dont mind if i keep it small like i am she said couple foot or so till we git it hooked up then she dont kare. o yea do they sell 50/80cc used anywhere in stpete area? all coments are well come even if you wanna call me a puss a$$ newb or some $hit like that , whateva laterz playaz (with white acksent)
Old 08-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Who needs roads!?

o yea i forgot to ask how much average price for a cage run's? holla back with estamate plz, later ....
Old 08-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Clutchitup.com

2 Vicious Freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

we sell FI cages for $250
Old 08-19-2004, 07:32 PM

CRAZYSQUID is an unknown quantity at this point

ya man just take it easy wen i was learning my wheelies i was scared but i learned really fast and soon became really cocky.. i was wheeling down a busy street and decided to wave while doing a wheelie lost control and crashed, in result i almost lost my foot and busted my ankle up real bad and had lots of road rash.. my foot is still messed up to this day.. i guess my words of advice is wear gear.. and especially wear boots lol.. good luck bro