turbocharged ducati 748 am i crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 03:56 AM

ducatibitch is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm any of you here have used turbochargers, boost gauges, boost controllers that you might want to sell for next to nothing? im trying to create a few turbokits to sell for next to nothing for all us poor folks...let me know
Old 01-23-2003, 09:56 AM
I Love To Post!

Schwartz will become famous soon enough
Not a believer

Sorry dude I think your BSen us. Your telling me you wrecked a Duc by putting a 5psi system on it?? Your saying that Duc in that pic has your system on it? Show me a pic of the turbo and this plenum you made. Hay if your right your a mad scientist. But as of now I think your full of it. Of course you won't feel lag on something with stock compression. Blow threw system or draw threw? Stock throttle bodies with no mods?? Map the system? Ignition? I've been around people with turbo systems. Guy I know has a 2 bar system on a ZX11 got a certified 206MPH pass on it. I'm not an expert but I just find this thing hard to swallow. Hit me back with info maybe I'm way off on this one. Start by answering whats a 2 bar system.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:32 AM

koffee is an unknown quantity at this point
OOOHHHH A challenge!!!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 04:30 PM

Re: Not a believer

Originally posted by Schwartz
Sorry dude I think your BSen us. Your telling me you wrecked a Duc by putting a 5psi system on it?? Your saying that Duc in that pic has your system on it? Show me a pic of the turbo and this plenum you made. Hay if your right your a mad scientist. But as of now I think your full of it. Of course you won't feel lag on something with stock compression. Blow threw system or draw threw? Stock throttle bodies with no mods?? Map the system? Ignition? I've been around people with turbo systems. Guy I know has a 2 bar system on a ZX11 got a certified 206MPH pass on it. I'm not an expert but I just find this thing hard to swallow. Hit me back with info maybe I'm way off on this one. Start by answering whats a 2 bar system.
ok well i dont know why you are hating thats cool you arent the first one...

well for people that dont know bar is defined by the pressure on earth at sea level

i think its 1 bar is .069 bar, regular engines without a turbo work at 1 bar, the engines cylinder does not have air forced into it my beans of positive presure so the very minimum air is taken in, a 2 bar system is pushing DOUBLE the sea level presure, which means air is forced into the cylinder (duh) giveing you a bigger explosion thus provideing more horsepower
1bar is around 14.5psi, 2bar is 38..i dont even have a 1 bar system, ask anyone who does turbocharged projects if the compression of 11.5:1 can handle 5psi boost useing 3'' dia. pipe

and you say that you wont feel lag with stock compression? how does that even make any sense...stock compression has nothing to do with the lag on the turbo...its the compressor maps that deal with that, ammount of psi in to spin the turbine and suck in and compress the air on the other side of the turbo...turbonetiks can help you if you want to know the compressor map for your application, they can give you a good idea from the cc size compression ratio and type of engine

now your friend with a 2bar system..he is nuts...how did he manage to fit such a big *** turbo?

keep in mint 5psi barely .5 bar

thats not enough presure to bend the throttlebody blades not enough to blow a headgasket or anything...

if im wrong let me know but thats what i have been told...

ive been working on getting pictures, i havent finished the project 100%...i think im going to order a garrett T15S turbo brand new, then i can have some NICE quality pictures..not of this ugly dirty and scared turbo off a 96 volvo passat TDI
Old 01-23-2003, 04:56 PM
I Love To Post!

How Stock Compresssion has to do with lag

With stock compression you won't feel the lag as much because. Most lag is due to the lack of compression from bumping down the compression ratio to allow for the added PSI in the chamber. Displacement helps prevent lag. You defiantly know your stuff on turbos and what not. However I still find it hard to believe that you would put a 5lbs system on a nice 748. What gains could be made may 10-20 HP at the cost of extra weight. So what's that put that 748 at around the HP of a STOCK old school 900RR and well under a stock 929. What kind of PSI can a Duc chamber take?? I'm sure not much more than what your delivering to it.
I still am wondering about the integrity of your story. You built a Plenum and use stock ignition and stock fuel pressure. Detonation is surely gonna happen and like an earlier post said your sure to end up with a hole in the top of a piston. Maybe you got the skills and the knowledge but there's so much left out of your system. Dude sorry I have to see it to believe it. If I stand corrected I'll stand before Yee on this board a humbled man and will apologize. Because if you did indeed pull it off you impressed me with the knowledge you have towards bikes and turbos. However as of now I am still not sold on your story.

SORRY DUDE NOT MY STYLE TO HATE. Just cause somone is questioning doesn't mean there hating.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:04 PM

Re: How Stock Compresssion has to do with lag

Originally posted by Schwartz
With stock compression you won't feel the lag as much because. Most lag is due to the lack of compression from bumping down the compression ratio to allow for the added PSI in the chamber. Displacement helps prevent lag. You defiantly know your stuff on turbos and what not. However I still find it hard to believe that you would put a 5lbs system on a nice 748. What gains could be made may 10-20 HP at the cost of extra weight. So what's that put that 748 at around the HP of a STOCK old school 900RR and well under a stock 929. What kind of PSI can a Duc chamber take?? I'm sure not much more than what your delivering to it.
I still am wondering about the integrity of your story. You built a Plenum and use stock ignition and stock fuel pressure. Detonation is surely gonna happen and like an earlier post said your sure to end up with a hole in the top of a piston. Maybe you got the skills and the knowledge but there's so much left out of your system. Dude sorry I have to see it to believe it. If I stand corrected I'll stand before Yee on this board a humbled man and will apologize. Because if you did indeed pull it off you impressed me with the knowledge you have towards bikes and turbos. However as of now I am still not sold on your story.

SORRY DUDE NOT MY STYLE TO HATE. Just cause somone is questioning doesn't mean there hating.

heh true true about the compression, 5psi isnt alot, when i lower the compression ratio by adding a thicker base gasket, ill bump it up to 10psi and raise it from there, from there ill add an extra fuel supply, thats the next step...thats whats going to be a bitch its going to take alot of research for that so im hopeing people at MMI will be able to help me with the efi...

i run 93 pump gas right now, its when you get into higher boost in and around the 1bar range that you need an independant fuel system ontop of the stock fuel system, retarding the ignition, running higher octane, and lower compression ratio...ill get some pics as soon as i get a brand spankin new turbo which ill prolly order today hopefully

www.cheapturbo.com has priced the GT15 at $549 so we shall see...im talking with a ducati dealer here and seeing if he can help sponsor the project...or if there are any other takers
Old 01-23-2003, 05:05 PM
I Love To Post!

Re: Re: Not a believer

Originally posted by ducatibitch

its the compressor maps that deal with that, ammount of psi in to spin the turbine and suck in and compress the air on the other side of the turbo...turbonetiks can help you if you want to know the compressor map for your application, they can give you a good idea from the cc size compression ratio and type of engine

And I don't make sence?? IT's CFM or volume of air threw the turbo that gets it spinning. Your talking compressor maps but you got this thing off some old *** jetta or somthing.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:10 PM

you were talking about the turbo lag...this doesnt require alot of airflow comming in to spin up and compress the air...
Old 01-23-2003, 08:51 PM

i got a boost gauge from FAZE today, i replaced the indiglow with an ultrabrite yellow led, it looks pretty nice just not bright enough so im going to go tomorrow and buy another led..hopefully that wil make it bright enough...even still its sexy looking
Old 01-23-2003, 11:28 PM

NIHILIST is an unknown quantity at this point
When I first scoped this thread it interested me having owned a couple of turbo bikes as well as my current GSXR. That last thread I posted was a joke, a Ducati 748 or any Ducati for that matter would be my last cadidate for a turbo set up of any kind. No doubt Ducatibitch has a pretty good understanding of turbo systems but I have to agree with Scwartz on alot of issues. Turbo's are a pain in the *** to set up correctly especially with a fuel injected bike. I am also very curious to see the plenum setup and required custom exhaust not from a hating standpoint but more form an engineering one. So post those pics so we can all see what kind of skills you have, maybe I'll let you build my next turbo system.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:34 PM

heh i dont think u want me welding ur exaust tho...man o man do i suck at welding