SV650 or Hornet600

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 11:28 AM

jon2k is an unknown quantity at this point
SV650 or Hornet600

Which one would make a better stunt bike, the SV650 or Honda Hornet600? Both are priced around the same amount (secondhand), so what are the good and bad points about either bike?

cheers!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:50 PM

shepdawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: SV650 or Hornet600

hornets a inline 4 isn;t it???? your gonna get more torque with the SV!?!? jsut my thoughts
Old 05-31-2004, 12:56 PM

FiNNiSH StuNNa is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't the V-engine bikes have problems with oil starvation when wheelyin? The honda is reliable, it has the same engine as the cbr's only with a bit less horsepower but it has more midrange power (im talking about the older cbr's) and hondas are reliable. The hornet has much more hp than the SV but like v-twins always, the sv has more torque. I guess the sv would be a good bike to start with but from hearing from people who own sv's they say that it has too little power. And IMHO the hornet looks much better
Old 05-31-2004, 03:39 PM

twinisin is an unknown quantity at this point

liftoff: spreaders at 40mph (3rd gear), standups at 65mph (5th gear)...for some reason, I could not pull those off on a inline 4 600cc bike. Go SV bro, you won't regret it. Just found those posted by others, sure beat my pics...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1no hand.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	81544   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 ape.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	81545   Click image for larger version

Name:	gina.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	81546  
Old 05-31-2004, 11:03 PM

shepdawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FiNNiSH StuNNa
Don't the V-engine bikes have problems with oil starvation when wheelyin? The honda is reliable, it has the same engine as the cbr's only with a bit less horsepower but it has more midrange power (im talking about the older cbr's) and hondas are reliable. The hornet has much more hp than the SV but like v-twins always, the sv has more torque. I guess the sv would be a good bike to start with but from hearing from people who own sv's they say that it has too little power. And IMHO the hornet looks much better

on the other hand those are good points too:D never thougth of that:D
Old 06-01-2004, 08:55 AM

FiNNiSH StuNNa is an unknown quantity at this point

hehe i guess you're right!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:10 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes the SV is probably easier to wheelie, but honda has steel frame and bullet proof motor. So it will last lot more the SV, I think SV is even more prone to wheelie oil starvation then TL1000S..

One question about twin wheelie oil problems, that they have similar sump pickups then fours, TL suzuki oil pickup is way back, so it should get oil, but twins are prone to blow oil to the airbox, because when two pistons go down almoust at the same time, it's going to cause lot of pressure to the crack-case, and the breather is then blowing oil to the airbox. If it blows too much oil the engine is going to ping, because oil vapor has low octane? If it pings, it's gonna fry your main bearings.. the explosion power comes before the top dead center, so straight to the bearings.. Also in Twin the power is distributed only to two con rod, in four it's four, so the forces are twice as strong..

Don't know, just quessing. But my TLS blows a lot of oil to the box. So I unplugged the breather from the airbox and installed HD style individual breather filter to the breather.

JakeT -TL1000S-
Old 06-01-2004, 09:22 AM

Mogwai will become famous soon enough

Sv's can rock some wheelies. Two of the pictures above are Dizzo from Scooter Trash, all he did was hook up a small oil light to let him know when the engine's starving, haven't had any significant problems with it yet, just make sure you run good oil in it and overfill it a little. The problem with the sv is that the oil pick up in in the front of the engine, you would have to split the block to put in a different pick up, not worth it. I can't say much for the Honda though, I don't know much about them but I've heard that if you try to stunt a 600 inline 4 than you will moer than likely blow the moter.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:35 PM

twinisin is an unknown quantity at this point

starting with the clutch, than 3rd gear. Another cool thing about twins is bringing your wheelie back down almost to the ground, and then powering it back up to bp. without using the clutch. Except newer litre bikes, never seen an inline4 do that without a pizza sprocket
Old 06-04-2004, 12:12 AM

larriken is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Hornet 600, bought it crashed and put it back on the road. It's a good bike, should be, it's just a tried and true CBR600 motor in it. This bike has had some big crashes, not me, the other owner, and it's held up really well. I had a few troubles getting used to it to begin with, but it's all good now. In saying that, I haven't seen it in a year (I'm overseas), but one of the boys at home is using it and he's a wheelie demon. One thing I will do once I get back on it (only 2 weeks!!!!!!!) is gearing, going to put a biiiiiiiiiiig sprocket on it.

My brother had an SV, and that was sooooooooo easy to wheelie! Awesome, really cool little machine. It did eventually lunch a cylinder, but then it wasn't that well looked after, so it wasn't a surprise really.

Choice between the two???? I would buy either one at the right price. Just ride both and see what suits you I suppose.

Totally crap pics, but you get the point. They both work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	h34444.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	82259   Click image for larger version

Name:	horne.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	82260