help me out w/these damn circles

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 08:06 PM

kolourmecarbon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: help me out w/these damn circles

I'm a way off tight circles, but a couple of times the bike has started to feel like it will turn easy, I practice in a real small parking lot, that means I have to turn to the right as soon as I get the bike balanced. Keep looking where yo want to go, if your head is going the right direction, then the rest follows.

You may be already upto steering your wheelies, but you won't do controlled circles if you can't get the feel of using your hips/shoulders and head direction to make the bike go where YOU want first. The trials riders can circle easy(better body/bike weight ratio) it's like they are starting to fall sideways then catching it with a throttle blip so it's more of a square/hexagon shape that your riding with your back wheel.

AC farias used to do the fall/steer style but now it's lots of smooth joined up turns, so it looks like one smooth circle - that's practice!
Old 05-14-2004, 08:11 PM

NickIF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by f4rider
SOOOO, that's what I'm doing wrong. I'm a dumbass. All I need to do is turn my head... :rolleye

hahahahaha CBO can't give him any good advice but the almighty 50cc stunna can. The guy that can't even ride a standup
Old 05-16-2004, 12:22 AM
check out F.T.P. beaumont

saleensdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
i like to weight my inside foot, look into the circle....more gas if you are falling too far in, or the nose is dropping....more brake if you are about to highside or the nose gets too high and wants to stall the bike...body weight is a great way to compensate when the throttle, clutch, brake wont do.

use the clutch (feather it) to prevent it from stalling when it gets to that point...

visualize, i locked circles down over the winter!!! i swear!!!

Teach
today was the first time i got to go practice and use this helpful info. infact i just got home from practicing from 12'0clock this afternoon. unfortunatly i dont feel as if i accomplished much. heres what was happening, i pull it up, look all HOLLYWOOD for the cam. then look back straight turn my head in left pull my bars to the right put my right knee into the tank extend my leftleg into the left pass peg covering my clutch the whole time the bike would turn 90 deg. real good and sharp then it would always try to highside,or if i managed to go 180 then i always hit the corner of my bar. before anyone says maybe my bar is to long ,i had to cut off 2in. of my tail and no brake light. this bitch is 12'oclock the real deal when its on the bar. i did make 1 360 dragging on the left corner of my bar on the verge of being out of control, came out of it chaseing after my bike. one thing i saw from you guys a minute ago was about the tire press. i didnt know you needed normal press. ive been running about 10psi. i dont know just kind of one of those days, got ran off from two parkinglots by the cops today, they searched are **** and found a roach in my parteners ash trey and confiscated his papers made us load up and leave
Old 05-16-2004, 04:17 AM
1 footer wheelies!

Sillyneck is an unknown quantity at this point

Another helpful hint or two. if you're hooking wide circles you likely have no air pressure and you are leading the circle by hanging your body off the bike rather than staying centered over the bike and making the bike do the work. The difference between 2 circles and 10 is monumental. I thought once I spun more than 1 I'd be able to rock a million. 2 or 3 is something you can just hang on to and ride the idle.....but when you want to do more you'll end up working the clutch, throwing your body around and the circles will change shape and you'll spiral and be able to move around...then you'll be able to pivot and ride out of them or go right into a right turn.

I like to think of myself as a quick learner and I spent 6 months learning circles (and nothing else really during that time). Moral of the story...circles are a b!tch don't kill yourself trying to learn them fast.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:28 PM
1 footer wheelies!

Originally Posted by CBO
It was a fluke, couldent do two today
r u crashing much when learning? seemed like I had to crash a lot to see if the bike was actually doing something wrong when it felt weird....not sure if that makes sense.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:13 PM

Brian_MPZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CBO
It was a fluke, couldent do two today
I went through the same thing... one day I would kill it, the next I couldn't get 1 or 2. Stick with it and all of the sudden it will just click. A month ago I would struggle to get two or three, now I am rocking them one handed.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:58 AM

RichieDubs is an unknown quantity at this point

my tire pressure is too low. i run about 15 lbs. whatsre you guys running?
Old 05-17-2004, 07:52 AM

RichieDubs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CBO
thanks man, stuff like that helps me out and pushes me to work hard....Ur avator is sick by the way.

Sillyneck Im dropping time to time not everytime or anything like that.

Ok guys im still rocking low air pressure but Im gonna actually put more air in this time, seems when i put more air in its harder to control (duh) but it makes the bike whip around faster and Im not sure if Im ready for that but I have to learn with air right, it cant be low to go fast can it? I struggle with low air pressure I cant imagine more air...
im gonna try running around 18-20 lbs. i imagine it'll fall into a circle alot easier due to the tire holding its roundness alot better.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:31 AM
1 footer wheelies!

I run @ 18 psi all the time. the thing w/ low pressure (like 6psi or a worn out tire carcass) is that you can rip 1 circle because when you bend into the circle you usually turn right a little before left and that folds the tire over allowing the bike to turn easy.....but it quickly flops back the other way and tosses the bike out of the spin I guess.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:54 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

I run 20 psi. Foot in the bar I got 1 to the right, nuthin to the left. I hang way off the bike, it only leans over a little, but the radius stays consistant untill I mess up.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:58 AM

5150Pat is an unknown quantity at this point

It takes about a year to perfect them.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:22 PM
**** BULLSHITTERS

Merk is an unknown quantity at this point

ive been workin on them here and there for a couple of months and what ive found to work for me is not to focus on them just try some in the middle of a session then take a break, come back to them, take a break dont do them for a couple of days then go back....cause they are so frustrating that if you just keep on tryin them again and again and again all your gonna do is get pissed....the other thing is i run 18-20psi all the time......try to stay ontop of the bike so if your cricleing left be on the right side leaning the bike left and if your goin right try to be on left side as much as possible holdin the bike in....that way you have more leaverage to move the bike around....and the other thing that i feel is helping me is if im practicing left circles and i get stuck on a number...ill stop and start tryin them to the right....then when i go back to the left, they feel so much easier

i dunno thats just what ive been doin but then again i dont have them locked so maybe im doin somethin wrong
Old 05-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

circles on a big bike are the same as a fiddy, the bike is just bigger....

going to the right leaning waaay off will never teach you how to do circles,,,the bike needs to be leaned into the circle, and you need to be on top of the bike...once you can get a 180 and put it down, then you just need to apply throttle to keep the nose up...as you apply throttle, you also tend to wanna highside, at this time, get on the brake to bring it back into the cirlce and prevent the highside...if you give it too much gas and then have to slow down and the bike almost stalls, then you gotta use the clutch...

by no means am i a cirlce master, but i can do them when, where, and how many i want...i use gas, brake, clutch, body position virtually all at the same time...once you get the groove, you got it...i'm still working ont he mpzmark circles that just go round and round on the idle....on that note, i dont like the idle, i like to get 'em whipping and then slow 'em down and ride away....

practice, but like merk says, take a break and do something else...do some visual and REM riding., i'm telling you it works!!!

Teach
Old 05-17-2004, 09:48 PM

Brian_MPZ is an unknown quantity at this point

There is just so much going on when you circle it takes alot of time for your brain to figure it out. You may know what to do with the brake, body position ect. but to cordinate it all it just takes LOTS of practice. I haven't mastered them either but I am going to focus on other stuff for awhile and come back to them. Teach is right, I was out of the game for a year while I was in Iraq and visualization is where it's at. I could barely 12 when I left and the first day a rode when I got back I was scrapin' because I thought about it so much while I was gone.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:52 AM
**** BULLSHITTERS

Merk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brian_MPZ
There is just so much going on when you circle it takes alot of time for your brain to figure it out. You may know what to do with the brake, body position ect. but to cordinate it all it just takes LOTS of practice. I haven't mastered them either but I am going to focus on other stuff for awhile and come back to them. Teach is right, I was out of the game for a year while I was in Iraq and visualization is where it's at. I could barely 12 when I left and the first day a rode when I got back I was scrapin' because I thought about it so much while I was gone.
thats ****in dope!!! just goes to show what the brain can do....UUUHHHHHHH
keep pimpin