Stunt F3's and steering dampeners???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 12:24 PM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Stunt F3's and steering dampeners???

I just recently picked up a 98 f3. I noticed it doesn't come with any kind of a stabilizer from the factory. Have all of you who stunt them put an aftermarket on? What kinda did you use? How much did it run ya?

Jon
Old 05-02-2004, 12:49 PM

xRR-riderx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stunt F3's and steering dampeners???

i wouldnt buy one if i were you.. theres a reason why Hondas didnt come with em,. main reason being cuz they dont need em.. gixxers and others that came with em needed em because of the angle of the headtube being almost verticle. Hondas are a little more "raked out" I ride an F3 and i dont have one, and none of my other friends that ride F3's (and i do have alot of em with f3's) have any.. but go with whatever u want man, theres no problem with playin it safe..
Old 05-02-2004, 01:13 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

no, you do need one if you stunt. my 2 team mates have f3's and 1 of them has an ohlins and the other runs a daytona. Both are side mount on the left side cause as far as i know there isn't a top mount bracket for those dampers. That and side mounts are cheaper but they run a risk of getting damaged in a crash. haven't had a problem with them yet though.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:38 PM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by binder929rr
no, you do need one if you stunt. my 2 team mates have f3's and 1 of them has an ohlins and the other runs a daytona. Both are side mount on the left side cause as far as i know there isn't a top mount bracket for those dampers. That and side mounts are cheaper but they run a risk of getting damaged in a crash. haven't had a problem with them yet though.

i got one from hyperpro that mounts above the gas tank with the bracket on the right side, works good. scotts doesnt make a mounting kit for anything older than a f4, that was gonna be my first choice
Old 05-03-2004, 12:01 AM

CBR up on one is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't listen to xRR-riderx. You do need one if you a planning of rolling an endo that is decent. The F3 gets a **** load of head shake during an endo....I don't have one yet, but that is half the reason that I haven't rolled past 130ft. You can roll them fine until you get the rear tire about 2 feet off the ground....then hold one b/c it can get violent. I am still loking for one...not sure b/c most are side mount and I don't want that. I am thinking about the cheap Lockhart Phillips brand Trac Lock because it mounts infront of the steering neck. Anybody run one of these on any bike??
Old 05-03-2004, 01:05 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been considering trying to mount a stock one off a gixxer or something on it. I know it isn't as good as an aftermarket but i'm a poor college kid and it took all i got to afford the thing to begin with. But, I figured a gixxer mount that has a ring around a fork tube and then some kind of a simple mount to the frame might be possible. Otherwise I will probably have to hold off on much stunting till i can afford a dampener which may be quite awhile....

Do you guys think it would be worth trying to mount a gixxer dampener? Or even a cheap sidemount or something? I mean something is better than nothing right?

Jon
Old 05-03-2004, 01:07 AM

crazeinc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonnyGSXR
I've been considering trying to mount a stock one off a gixxer or something on it. I know it isn't as good as an aftermarket but i'm a poor college kid and it took all i got to afford the thing to begin with. But, I figured a gixxer mount that has a ring around a fork tube and then some kind of a simple mount to the frame might be possible. Otherwise I will probably have to hold off on much stunting till i can afford a dampener which may be quite awhile....

Do you guys think it would be worth trying to mount a gixxer dampener? Or even a cheap sidemount or something? I mean something is better than nothing right?

Jon
i'd go for it, if it works i'll probably do the same.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by crazeinc
i'd go for it, if it works i'll probably do the same.
you can get daytonas for $200, better than a stock one. theres not much room in front of fork tubes on a f3 unless its naked
Old 05-03-2004, 11:24 AM

$200 is more than i'm looking to spend.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by crazeinc
$200 is more than i'm looking to spend.
then if you can get a damper, the brackets for clamping to fork tubes are about $30
Old 05-03-2004, 11:38 AM

that's what i'm looking for.