When is a person/team truly sponsered by someone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:36 PM

Paw Paw is an unknown quantity at this point
When is a person/team truly sponsered by someone?

This question has been coming up quite a bit lately and I wanted to get some other peoples views and opinions. Maybe I'm just stupid but I say unless your getting free product, money, or service of some sort then your not trully sponsered. A percentage off is great but it aint no sponsership. Tell me if I'm wrong.

thanks, Keith
Old 04-07-2004, 09:07 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: When is a person/team truly sponsered by someone?

I would say " If a company gives you something for FREE, your sponsored"
Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Angel Of Death is a decent person

Originally Posted by GSE Mike
I would say " If a company gives you something for FREE, your sponsored"
I dunno, maybe if it was a costant supply and in return you plastered their on your bike or helmet or jacket. Look at Nascar, would you consider someone a sponser if their name wasnt on the car?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

It's not that simple
Old 04-07-2004, 09:21 PM
myspace.com/reality631

Reality is an unknown quantity at this point

there are diffrent levels of sponsorship.if they give u a discount they deserve 1 small stickers on your bike. anything outside of that you are giving them the milk for free so they don't have to buy the cow.in other words don't let them take advantage of you. but a product sponsor or payment sponsor requiures alot more promotion. but no by al means someone giving u a discount aint ****.move on to another co. just my
Old 04-08-2004, 01:24 AM
FREESTYLE ARTIST

Tony D is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reality
there are diffrent levels of sponsorship.if they give u a discount they deserve 1 small stickers on your bike. anything outside of that you are giving them the milk for free so they don't have to buy the cow.in other words don't let them take advantage of you. but a product sponsor or payment sponsor requiures alot more promotion. but no by al means someone giving u a discount aint ****.move on to another co. just my
well said mr goivelli!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 01:28 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Reality
I keep telling people this but they do not want to listen. All these people out there that get a 10% discount at the local shop and plaster stickers all over there bike and tell everyone they are sponsored by this place and that place. That ain't no sponsorship. Thats a hookup. I get dead cost all over town and dont consider myself "sponsored" by anyone.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:38 AM

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

what about parts at dead cost, the ability to pull your bike in the shop at anytime(even when they are closed) someone will meet you there,usually the owner, and take a bike off a rack to work on yours anytime you need it, busy or not. test ride any bike you want,respectfully of course. would that be considered sponsership?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by nags
I keep telling people this but they do not want to listen. All these people out there that get a 10% discount at the local shop and plaster stickers all over there bike and tell everyone they are sponsored by this place and that place. That ain't no sponsorship. Thats a hookup. I get dead cost all over town and dont consider myself "sponsored" by anyone.
I''ll sponsor you NAGS! Look at my signature ---> :YEAH
Old 04-08-2004, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Angel Of Death
I''ll sponsor you NAGS! Look at my signature ---> :YEAH
thanks, heh.. but I don't race
Old 04-08-2004, 01:57 AM

that better nags?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:20 PM

PROJECT P is an unknown quantity at this point

whaen you get the free ****...
Old 04-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

sponsorship is an ongoing relationship with someone who is helping you out in some manner, and in return you are promoting their business via word of mouth, stickers, vids, etc.

as the midget with the orange bike said, there are varying levels of support...the more support you get, the larger the advertisement.

one thing people forget is that you need to do something for the sponsor, not necessarily the other way around...go above and beyond.

this has worked well for me,

teach
Old 04-08-2004, 06:14 PM

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 04-13-2004, 07:13 PM

GrCh35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
sponsorship is an ongoing relationship with someone who is helping you out in some manner, and in return you are promoting their business via word of mouth, stickers, vids, etc.

as the midget with the orange bike said, there are varying levels of support...the more support you get, the larger the advertisement.

one thing people forget is that you need to do something for the sponsor, not necessarily the other way around...go above and beyond.

this has worked well for me,

teach
I have to agree with Teach. You don't get something for nothing.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:29 AM

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nags
ok for your "hook up" what do you do for them?

do you advertise on your bike?

like Teach said, everyone has to give something. whether you decide to call it a hook up or a partial sponsor is your outlook on the situation. i know i am more than happy to get parts at cost from the local shop. We call that a partial sponsor because in essence they are giving me a $$ savings through out the year that i would pay elsewhere or if i was the average Joe.

i guess what i am saying is don't be mad if a company only offers you discounts because that might be all they could do for you at that given time. everyone has budgets and you may receive a larger part of their budget the following year.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by bill parr
what about parts at dead cost, the ability to pull your bike in the shop at anytime(even when they are closed) someone will meet you there,usually the owner, and take a bike off a rack to work on yours anytime you need it, busy or not. test ride any bike you want,respectfully of course. would that be considered sponsership?
im begining to rethink my entire post...
me at the shop....
me, i need rear pads, front pads, oil, filter, and a front tire,
shop- ok, blah, blah, you owe, bla bla, minus your discount.
me- ok
shop- here are some stickers for your bikes and cars
me- (thinking of all that was said here) so are we going to get full sponser ship this year???
shop- prob. not. we know you bring us lots of buisness and send people here to buy bikes but we arent in the market to sponser a riding or stunt team fully.
me- what about the moto crossers you give free rebuilds and gear and all the other **** to??
shop-thats different
me- your gonna have to actually start doing something for us if you want me to put these all over my ****! we got 3 shops that give us the same discounts as you and i got no stickers on my bike for them either. you get enough free advertising off us not to mention the bikes i sell for you, later man, i got to ride.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:56 AM

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bill parr
im begining to rethink my entire post...
me at the shop....
me, i need rear pads, front pads, oil, filter, and a front tire,
shop- ok, blah, blah, you owe, bla bla, minus your discount.
me- ok
shop- here are some stickers for your bikes and cars
me- (thinking of all that was said here) so are we going to get full sponser ship this year???
shop- prob. not. we know you bring us lots of buisness and send people here to buy bikes but we arent in the market to sponser a riding or stunt team fully.
me- what about the moto crossers you give free rebuilds and gear and all the other **** to??
shop-thats different
me- your gonna have to actually start doing something for us if you want me to put these all over my ****! we got 3 shops that give us the same discounts as you and i got no stickers on my bike for them either. you get enough free advertising off us not to mention the bikes i sell for you, later man, i got to ride.
even though the shop did not give you the answer you wanted to hear, they were honest. this just means it's time for you to change your focus on another sponsor. explain to the next shop what you have done for this guy and how they did not want to take care of you...
Old 04-15-2004, 03:11 PM

exactly my thoughts,
Old 04-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

you need hard numbers for this shop that you sell bikes for. if you are selling any amount of bikes regularly, they should be hooking you up pretty much. selling a new streetbike will get you anywhere btwn 1 and 4 hundred dollars if you work at a dealership...if i tis used, it all depends on what they own it for...try and think about how many bike syou have sold and how much the shop made of them.

put together a simple package showing the shop(s) where and how you plan to advertise, and what you are seeking in return; ie. internet, nationally through comps and shows, magazines, videos, worod of mouth (stickers on bikes/cars), etc. then what you want: ie. access to the shop, a parts credit per month or per season, use of truck, etc.

like i said before, i've been approaching stunt sponsorship just like racing sponsorship and it is working great for me. some of my sponsors are only able to do discounts on their product ( but next season, i'm confident they will step up to free product), i have another sponsor with a parts credit per month which basically finishes paying for the aftermarket parts i got a discount on...

another key thing i think is a PERSONAL relationship with your sponsors. i have the cell of all my sponsors (who are the owners) and i routinely call them with news/updates, or even just to chat when there has been nothing going on. whenever you do something that benefits them, be sure to let them know...
good luck, keep plugging, it doesnt come easy, but think long term sponsors, rathr than 'what can you do for me now' type sponsors....

i'm rambling nad the rain has stopped, time to take a whip!

teach

Quick Reply: When is a person/team truly sponsered by someone?