When is a person/team truly sponsered by someone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 03:27 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: When is a person/team truly sponsered by someone?

there is another thread along these lines...i posted this,

anyway about the sponsor deal...some people have full sponsor and some have partial sponsor. i know teams/individuals with both. there is another thread in stunter talk, which is going into the whole sponsor thing since this topic seems to be coming up a lot lately. now that i think about it i guess you could defined some of the companies as Contributors and some as Sponsors. difference being between disocunt and free of course.

So i guess you could make two classifications for this.

if everyone started using this as a guide line you could quickly determine companies who are tapped out as far as have to many sponsored riders and companies that don't have that many and just help out.

just a thought.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:08 PM

codebluezx9r is an unknown quantity at this point

We dont have to worry about this Kieth cause we aint got no damn sponsors.
The only sponsorship we really need is the kind that gives us money.We got gear and cages and we do our own work on the bikes.The problem is getting to the shows and competitions and the over all cost of the sport.If we did get sponsored with free merchandise i would give them all the advertisement they deserve. I say we make our own damn money with videos and shirts and merchandise and if someone wants to sponsor us we will do a no hander across that bridge when we get there............Wussup.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by CBO
when they hook you up with free **** all the time and make you feel like your somebody

www.pimpit.com

I love these guys, they hook me up with tons of **** and in return I market the hell out of them and feel proud to do it cause they believe in me.

i believe in you! :YEAH

Old 04-16-2004, 11:33 AM

JACK@SPEEDRAG is an unknown quantity at this point

This is how it works. How do I know, well, I have ran the rider support programs for Race-Tech, DG, FMF, and am best known for my days at LBZ. I have seen a lot of start up/knock off companies come and go (LBZ wannabies). I have worked closely with, and know very well the rider support guys from White Bros, SunStar, Renthal, Troy Lee Designs, Metal Mulisha, Skin, No Fear, and Alpinestar (friggin McCassey, I'll be seeing you at the Xtremmy's).

There are quite a few levels. Full Ride - which is a full sponsorship and free products, then there are Support riders, who can basically get a discount from anywhere from 10-60% off retail for running a company's stickers and naming them as a sponsor in the sponsor box when you sign up for races/events. All these levels are considered a SPONSORSHIP, being it one form or another. No matter what level you get, you are still in a contract and have to follow the guidelines given to you. If you dont want the discount or like whats in the contract.....DONT SIGN IT. Nobody is trying to take advantage of anyone. Its suppose to be a win-win. Even if its a discount. Nobody deserves to think they should get anything for free. Its all about a give love, get love thing. Sponsors watch over your results, and publicity.

In Motocross, to get even a 25% discount on product is HUGE. Dont believe me, ask Dan Jackson since he came from MX. Try calling FMF or Pro-Circuit and lets see what they offer you. FMF does street bike pipes now, I think someone should send a resume and lets see what they offer. In a sport thats growing and hasnt been recognized officially, I dont understand why people think they should be getting everything handed to them.

Bigger companies have bigger budgets. A company like Alpinestar has a lot more they can offer than a start up company like Speedrag. Generally, you want to build up relationships, and see what companies are with you from the beggining. Who supports before you make a name for yourself. Dont badmouth anyone, it makes you look bad, and believe me, word gets around, and all the industry guys talk.

I am all about the freestyle movement, and am working with some sanctioning bodies about getting it into the X-Games (they just got in SuperMotard this year) and the new NBC XTreme Games. I will help out anybody in any way I can. My advice, keep sending out resumes, keep promoting yourself and your sponsors, and in the long run everyone should gain. There are a few guys out there that get salaries from their sponsors, and thats great. I hope the sport blows up enough that riders can make a full time living doing what they love. But for now, take what you can get. Anything is better than nothing, especially if it helps you out, and saves you money.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by JACK@SPEEDRAG
This is how it works. How do I know, well, I have ran the rider support programs for Race-Tech, DG, FMF, and am best known for my days at LBZ. I have seen a lot of start up/knock off companies come and go (LBZ wannabies). I have worked closely with, and know very well the rider support guys from White Bros, SunStar, Renthal, Troy Lee Designs, Metal Mulisha, Skin, No Fear, and Alpinestar (friggin McCassey, I'll be seeing you at the Xtremmy's).

There are quite a few levels. Full Ride - which is a full sponsorship and free products, then there are Support riders, who can basically get a discount from anywhere from 10-60% off retail for running a company's stickers and naming them as a sponsor in the sponsor box when you sign up for races/events. All these levels are considered a SPONSORSHIP, being it one form or another. No matter what level you get, you are still in a contract and have to follow the guidelines given to you. If you dont want the discount or like whats in the contract.....DONT SIGN IT. Nobody is trying to take advantage of anyone. Its suppose to be a win-win. Even if its a discount. Nobody deserves to think they should get anything for free. Its all about a give love, get love thing. Sponsors watch over your results, and publicity.

In Motocross, to get even a 25% discount on product is HUGE. Dont believe me, ask Dan Jackson since he came from MX. Try calling FMF or Pro-Circuit and lets see what they offer you. FMF does street bike pipes now, I think someone should send a resume and lets see what they offer. In a sport thats growing and hasnt been recognized officially, I dont understand why people think they should be getting everything handed to them.

Bigger companies have bigger budgets. A company like Alpinestar has a lot more they can offer than a start up company like Speedrag. Generally, you want to build up relationships, and see what companies are with you from the beggining. Who supports before you make a name for yourself. Dont badmouth anyone, it makes you look bad, and believe me, word gets around, and all the industry guys talk.

I am all about the freestyle movement, and am working with some sanctioning bodies about getting it into the X-Games (they just got in SuperMotard this year) and the new NBC XTreme Games. I will help out anybody in any way I can. My advice, keep sending out resumes, keep promoting yourself and your sponsors, and in the long run everyone should gain. There are a few guys out there that get salaries from their sponsors, and thats great. I hope the sport blows up enough that riders can make a full time living doing what they love. But for now, take what you can get. Anything is better than nothing, especially if it helps you out, and saves you money.
i'll drink to that!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:36 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

There are quite a few levels. Full Ride - which is a full sponsorship and free products, then there are Support riders, who can basically get a discount from anywhere from 10-60% off retail for running a company's stickers and naming them as a sponsor in the sponsor box when you sign up for races/events. All these levels are considered a SPONSORSHIP, being it one form or another. No matter what level you get, you are still in a contract and have to follow the guidelines given to you. If you dont want the discount or like whats in the contract.....DONT SIGN IT.
It's funny that most of the riders that only want free products are still fairly new to this sport. Everybody needs to learn the general concept of "Give a Little....Get a Little"...."Give a Lot...Get a lot". By going out riding everyday is not considered giving a lot either. Just about every rider out there can do that. A riders first thoughts on going after a sponsorship should be "What can I as a rider do for Company X". It's not the other way around..."What can Company x do for me". Once you realize this then you have grassped the general concepts of true sponsorship.

In a sport thats growing and hasnt been recognized officially, I dont understand why people think they should be getting everything handed to them.
This is the main point that most riders need to understand. Right now you are just a hero to your fellow peers and riders. The general public still has not accepted this sport as a "true sport". Sportbike freestyle is still considered an underground sport. If you believe otherwise feel free to crawl out of your hole now. Once and If this sport/"hobby" ever does become accepted as a sport to the public or major event holders, then and only then will more free sponsorship rides become available. But until then, learn to suck up your ego and take what you can get. Because if you don't, some other team will and you will be left with less money in your pocket. However, at least you will still have your pride and ego right.?.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:23 PM
lky

lky is an unknown quantity at this point

im with RedlineJimmy,

well said, well said