Bike Legal questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 06:53 PM

RUSH. is an unknown quantity at this point
Bike Legal questions

Hopefully one of you law students will read this, i know your out there.

I am trying to find out the truth about parking lot riding for mainly one reason. I just got a 636 and it is not and can not ever be registered. It has a certificate of destruction and no title. The bike is fixed and runs but i am mainly concerned about getting what legal issues i may run into. I bought it from an insurance company for parts but with the parts i have i made it ride able. Anyway, what are the laws on riding on private property, can you get a ticket, or arrested and also what about riding non registered bikes, I know they make not care about 50's and small stuff but not so sure they will feel the same way about a bike with no numbers,,, So anyone who knows anything about this sor of thing ...please help
Old 04-07-2004, 07:00 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bike Legal questions

if you put it in truck, take it to the parking lot, and then truck it away its totally legal. parking lots are private property therefore traffic rules cannot be enforced. i asked a cop and he said this is true and he wasn't trying to screw me. The only problem you can run into is if the owner calls and you can get in trouble for tresspassing but normally they will ask you to leave before they try and press charges on you.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:03 PM
cal
I Chose to No Longer Post

cal is a decent person

dump tenny!

yep as long as you're not driving it on a higway (any public street) you're AOK!
Old 04-08-2004, 12:14 AM

J.C. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tdatreefrog
Hopefully one of you law students will read this, i know your out there.

I am trying to find out the truth about parking lot riding for mainly one reason. I just got a 636 and it is not and can not ever be registered. It has a certificate of destruction and no title. The bike is fixed and runs but i am mainly concerned about getting what legal issues i may run into. I bought it from an insurance company for parts but with the parts i have i made it ride able. Anyway, what are the laws on riding on private property, can you get a ticket, or arrested and also what about riding non registered bikes, I know they make not care about 50's and small stuff but not so sure they will feel the same way about a bike with no numbers,,, So anyone who knows anything about this sor of thing ...please help
in fl they can give you a reckless if it is a public access parking lot like a home depot or kmart but an industrial park or something like that i dont think so
Old 04-08-2004, 12:17 AM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Hmm, I always thought you could get arrested for doing wheelies no matter where you were doing them (unless on private party with owner consent)..

I guess I need to find an industrial park..
Old 04-08-2004, 03:42 AM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

damn i need to move to where u are.... i cali they dont give a F*ck where ur stuntin, they're still gonna try to take ur bike....only way u can get away with it is at like Events and stuff or tracks...business areas and private property dont mean sh*t
Old 04-08-2004, 02:01 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J.C.
in fl they can give you a reckless if it is a public access parking lot like a home depot or kmart but an industrial park or something like that i dont think so
exactly, florida is funny about that. tenny, it depends on the state, that's why states control their own laws.

they might not be able to get you for an unregistered bike, but they can still give you a reckless. at least in florida they can.

indiana, if it's a privately owned lot, most you can probably get is loitering or trespassing. if it's a school parking lot or something, they can still nail you full extent of the law.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:42 PM

DVNTMOTRSPORTS is an unknown quantity at this point

If Its Private Property And You Have Permission To Be There Then They Cant Do Anything. Thats Like A Cop Giving You A Ticket For Wheeliing Or Doing Dumb **** In Your Drive Way. Even Things That The Town Might Own If You Have Permission Then They Can Try To Do Something But Tis Going To Be Alot Harder. Take The 5 Minutes To Find Out Who Owns The Parking Lot You Are In, Or Wherever You Are Explain To Them What Youll Be Doing And You Take Full Responsibility For Your Actions And If Their Cool With It Then Awesome If Not Find Some Other Place To Go. Im Sure Your All Thinking Asking Permission Is Stupid Seeing The Stuff That All Of Us Do. State Owned Park And Ride Parking Lot, Ive Gotn Permission To Use Quite A Few Of Them. Askn Dont Hurt, Gains Respect From People.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:48 PM

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

All the answers are right depending on where you live and your local police attitude.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:30 PM

ed929 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Bike Legal questions

Cops are out to get you anywhere.I ride solo and say FTP,dont stop 4 cops.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM

Motoscene is an unknown quantity at this point

Usaully in a parking lot that is a privite one they can't do much. Unless the owner has a complaint about it. Most of the time it is up to the cop what he wants to do. Sometimes they just tell you to go to another parking lot or to go home.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:01 PM

LawlessJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Bike Legal questions

Why dont you just buy a frame for like a grand or so from a salvage yard and switch everything over? My buddies do that.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by LawlessJay
Why dont you just buy a frame for like a grand or so from a salvage yard and switch everything over? My buddies do that.

BECAUSE TO GET A NEW TITLE FOR THE FRAME YOU NEED A SALVAGE TITLE, WHICH I DON'T HAVE. TECHNICALLY THIS BIKE IS FOR PARTS ONLY
Old 04-08-2004, 05:28 PM
man whore

Ruff will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tdatreefrog
BECAUSE TO GET A NEW TITLE FOR THE FRAME YOU NEED A SALVAGE TITLE, WHICH I DON'T HAVE. TECHNICALLY THIS BIKE IS FOR PARTS ONLY
No... he means go buy a frame WITH a legit title and switch all the other stuff to the legal frame.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:43 PM

Stoppie Steve F4i is an unknown quantity at this point

were we ride its private property(unless were on the road of coarse) but we have a cop thats a pretty good friend that looks out for us and as long as your on private property cops cant do **** except for reckless and dui thats all they can get you for. so stunt that machine and dont worry
Old 04-08-2004, 06:20 PM

J.C. is an unknown quantity at this point

if you have permission its a different story

then you can tell the cop to **** off
Old 04-08-2004, 07:53 PM

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point

oh in missouri they CANNOT give you a ticket in a parking lot. Asked a cop and a lawyer now and both confirm my story

what does dump tenny mean i dont get it!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:03 PM

thanks for all the info fellas, got it straightened out and now i got a rebuildable title from the insurance company
Old 04-09-2004, 11:24 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

Originally Posted by CBO
they can give you a ticket anytime anywhere they want to, u can get a reckless in a parking lot or private property or anywhere it dont matter, PIGS can do what they want
PIGS try to brake up everything, parking lots and street
Ask my boy, he got a DUI on an XR100 on PRIVATE PROPERTY. I mean FTP. really.

Originally Posted by StuntragzChris
All the answers are right depending on where you live and your local police attitude.
exactly