Crash Cages

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough
Re: Crash Cages

one last thing here: everyone is always talking about how a bad crash effed up their bike with a FI cage, yada, yada, yada....part of tim's design (and something that i dont think any other cage can do) is that it is easily removeable. you can take the loops off rather quickly and then go street riding like it was a normal bike...tim HAS designed cages just like his competitors and they DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT because he wanted more from his cages than just the ability to withstand a giant hit-he wanted ease of use, versatility, etc.

most of you people on this thread are in the dark on many things, so it is like fighting an un-armed man...there's just no sense in it.

few people have the ability to asses the situation from a rational point of view, if they did, they would see why tim does what he does...

i don't have the time or the patience to comment of most of the retarded posts in this thread speaking about FI and/or business practices and why they are in the game....

see you later, go buy a cage/bar from the innovators of the cage/bar in the sportbike world...many pro's put their own names in the hat with FI, so why shouldn't you?

Teach
Old 04-08-2004, 08:37 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 04-08-2004, 08:42 AM

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
, go buy a cage/bar from the innovators of the cage/bar in the sportbike world...many pro's put their own names in the hat with FI, so why shouldn't you?
I shouldn't because im not a pro. Only pros should use FI your exactly right.
FI cages are meant for pros. Anybody that wants to learn without the worry of Broken Mounts, Broken Cases, And broken wallets should choose the competion.

Sorry if your offened
Old 04-08-2004, 09:16 AM

ryanaka99cents is an unknown quantity at this point

My only opinion on this is that life is full of choices and we shouldn't just have 1 cage to choose from. Seeing how this is a Voting year lets look at this from a political stand point.

The 1st President of the USA was George Washington. He was voted into office as with the other 41 President's of this great country. If we had only 1 choice to vote into office that was the exact proto type of George Washington where exactly would this country be. I'm not down grading GW by any means just making a point about choices.

I drive a Dodge Intrepid and a 99 CBR 900 and I chose to buy them. There are other makes and models that look an aweful lot alike, but that was what I chose to buy (and I'm sure that they have a patten )

I think that if someone wants to buy a FI cage, Powers Cage, or 905 Cage then more power to them. I bought a 905 cage because a friend had one he was willing to sell. It was the right price and looks great on my bike. Would've I put the FI cage on it, hell ya if it was under the same circumstances.

The biggest thing here is we shouldn't turn the industry of making cages for sportbikes into a monopoly where only 1 Company can make and or design cages for sport bikes. And as I mentioned earlier about this being the Voting year, any DONKEY that disagrees with this statement is a hypocrite and is a disgrace to the Democratic Party (wait a minute, aren't they all). I'm no Elephant either so that can not be pushed on me

HHHHMMMMM what is it that a lot of peeps say on here..........oh ya

TO EACH HIS OWN.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Gas'er!!

Originally Posted by GSE Mike
I shouldn't because im not a pro. Only pros should use FI your exactly right.
FI cages are meant for pros. Anybody that wants to learn without the worry of Broken Mounts, Broken Cases, And broken wallets should choose the competion.

Sorry if your offened

i'm not offended bro, just sick of dumb comments. EVERY cage will break or bend and even wreck your bike...FI makes a great product and has invested a lot of time and money to do the R and D on these things...he chose his design OVER all other designs, which he tried....you would do the same thing he is doing to protect your ideas....

if you like some other cage, say so, but don't bash anyone else's products...

peace, love, and chain grease...

Teach

ps. and i believe in freedom of choice, but i'd wanna protect my idea as well if it were me....but who am i?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:10 AM

i'm not offended bro, just sick of dumb comments. EVERY cage will break or bend and even wreck your bike...FI makes a great product and has invested a lot of time and money to do the R and D on these things...he chose his design OVER all other designs, which he tried....you would do the same thing he is doing to protect your ideas....

if you like some other cage, say so, but don't bash anyone else's products...

peace, love, and chain grease...

Teach

ps. and i believe in freedom of choice, but i'd wanna protect my idea as well if it were me....but who am i?
No one has actually come out and said that Tim designed every cage there is and it would be good to know?? Do you??
Old 04-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Gas'er!!

yes, i know...throughout his design processes (remember, he was the FIRST to do this for SPORTBIKES) he has tried virtually everything, and his preproduction designs were very similiar to the cages his competitors (all of them) make now...he improved upon that design and didn't go with it because of a variety of reasons, some being the difficulty in quick removal and the lack of space for your feet and shins; his ***** is tite.

you hear a lot of people bitching about the fact that they broke their bike after one or two hard crashes, well those same stories are heard about other manufacturers-no cage will protect everything!

goodbye, think for yourself and do your own research.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:57 AM

150grl is a decent person

Are you willing to put it to the test?

Chris' 929 w/905 cage Vs Jc's 929 w/ F I cage.

This could end all rumors

Wow met your teamate last night up here in Deleware and glad he doesn't have your crappy attitude. How are you gonna crash 2 bikes the exact same? You can't -- be realistic
Old 04-08-2004, 11:14 AM

GSE_Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully if nobody reads anymore than the first couple lines of my thread they will at least read this....

PLEASE stop the bantering about which is better.

This topic was not started about what cage is better or which cage is cheaper etc. etc. It was about the lawsuit issue or legal action F.I. is, might be, or isn't taking against other makers of sportbike cages.

Someone has posted a quote from a letter he received that he should stop producing "cages" immediately, others have obviously received the same thing. Tim posted and says that this stuff is not legal action, just that their product should not be duplicated. Hopefully this means that since a Powerworkx and 905 are different designs, they have no reason to worry.

Different people have different opinions. You have yours and I have mine. Also a broad GSE guys are acting like ******** either isn't accurate or people took my last post a way they shouldn't have. I have to admit Chris and Mike might speak their mind but I know Chris has delt with Tim and didn't walk away satisfied. I am sure others that have delt with him are happy, hense differing opinion. I have no issues with F.I., I just have seen a couple of our guys that have. Only run in I had with Tim was well over a year ago at a show in Florida when I showed him my '00 ZX9R and asked him about a cage for it, he told me he hadn't made one for my bike and didn't know if he ever would. Thankfully when I contacted 905, he said he hadn't made one their but he had the ability to do so and I had it in 3 weeks time. As for shins, I am surprised at all the comments on that cause I haven't hit mine once YET. Must be specific to a particular model bike, like the 929.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:45 AM

yes, i know...throughout his design processes (remember, he was the FIRST to do this for SPORTBIKES) he has tried virtually everything, and his preproduction designs were very similiar to the cages his competitors (all of them) make now...he improved upon that design and didn't go with it because of a variety of reasons, some being the difficulty in quick removal and the lack of space for your feet and shins; his ***** is tite.

you hear a lot of people bitching about the fact that they broke their bike after one or two hard crashes, well those same stories are heard about other manufacturers-no cage will protect everything!

goodbye, think for yourself and do your own research.
thanks for the info, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just thought you'd know and you came through :YEAH
Old 04-08-2004, 12:14 PM

Mhavemann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JPratt
Damn it bill, I want a $17.82 cents, plus a case of beer(for labor-lol) for a cage I need something so I can get serious. Finding parts for a 97 GSXR for a decent price is ahrd to do.

Hook a brotha up y0
whats up man you need gixxer parts for a 97 I got a entire body just let me know it all good stuff not messed up stuff, and cheap.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:11 PM

SmurfKilla is an unknown quantity at this point

No need to bash FI or any other cage maker thats for sure...When I bought my FI cage it was the only one out there at the time and it had alot of endorsements from some of the top riders on StuntLife so I bought it..and yes it has worked and saved my bike...for sure....
But.....as far as it being easy to take off so you can just ride with the sliders..sorry Teach but I just gotta say I havent had the pleasure of that feature..Its a pain in the ***...well at least for my gixxer1k that is.....
It seems everytime i dropped the bike the cage got bent enough where i had to get the loop restraightened..I've done this at least 6 times now !! In fact I ended up buying a spare loop from Tim b/c of this. I took off those subframe bars so many times it stripped my subframe inserts...Yeah a bolt, lockwasher and lock tite fixed this but it definitley aint easy to get them off....
I also had that loop get pushed in enough my clutch cover exploded.
The other poor design on my Gixxer1k is the fact that the cage support bars attach to the subframe tabs...Those things snapped after the 3rd crash b/c of the pressure the cage put on those tabs...Yes I had them re-welded even stronger but I really think those subframe tabs were a bad choice for that back support..I will mention that my front engine mounts are banged up as well...but I think that any cage would give you that. But I have had a look at that 905 design and it seems to give me better ground clearance, appears alot stronger and doesnt use the subframe tabs at all.
Having said all this yes, there will be damage if you drop your bike with or without a cage...But I gotta say that I am little tired of hearing that this cage is sponsored by all the "top" pros and it is the one to get..Well I am an average stunt guy just like many others out there and this is my experience with the FI cage...But I will say that my dealings with Tim have been great and I never took the time to give him any feedback..
Is the 905 type of cage any better..well some people say yes and some people say no....But I would like to have the choice....

Cheers
SK
Old 04-08-2004, 11:20 PM

Johnny is an unknown quantity at this point

cant we all just get along?????
Old 04-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Extreme Action Images

FearlessGeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Crash Cages

Originally Posted by GSE_Anthony
Hopefully if nobody reads anymore than the first couple lines of my thread they will at least read this....

This topic was not started about what cage is better or which cage is cheaper etc. etc. It was about the lawsuit issue or legal action F.I. is, might be, or isn't taking against other makers of sportbike cages.

Someone has posted a quote from a letter he received that he should stop producing "cages" immediately, others have obviously received the same thing. Tim posted and says that this stuff is not legal action, just that their product should not be duplicated. Hopefully this means that since a Powerworkx and 905 are different designs, they have no reason to worry.

Different people have different opinions. You have yours and I have mine. Also a broad GSE guys are acting like ******** either isn't accurate or people took my last post a way they shouldn't have. I have to admit Chris and Mike might speak their mind but I know Chris has delt with Tim and didn't walk away satisfied. I am sure others that have delt with him are happy, hense differing opinion. I have no issues with F.I., I just have seen a couple of our guys that have. Only run in I had with Tim was well over a year ago at a show in Florida when I showed him my '00 ZX9R and asked him about a cage for it, he told me he hadn't made one for my bike and didn't know if he ever would. Thankfully when I contacted 905, he said he hadn't made one their but he had the ability to do so and I had it in 3 weeks time. As for shins, I am surprised at all the comments on that cause I haven't hit mine once YET. Must be specific to a particular model bike, like the 929.

Now this is what I am saying also. Don't bash the products or the manufacturers. This was about other producers of cages getting legal orders to stop the making of cages. But POWERS BIKEWORX, 905, and MXD aren't anything like F.I.'s design. How come they received letters?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:27 PM

crazeinc is an unknown quantity at this point

The bottom line here is you can't patent this: "a protective cage for streetbikes" That's the most generic line I've ever read. If F.I. submitted their design and exact specifications for their crash cages that's completely different.

Even if by some screw up at the patent office they did get some obsure patent like that a judge would take one look at the FI cage and a 905 cage and throw the case out. Crash cages are nothing new. Suzuki makes one for the Bandit from the factory. End of story, stop arguing about it.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:01 PM

David P.O.B. is an unknown quantity at this point

if your blinded by your friendship,well thats your problem.

The TRUTH is I don't know TIM or any individual at Freestlye Ingenuity. There for my opinon is non-bias.

The fact is that Freestlye Ingenuity has tried to make a buisness out of a fun sport. That was his mistake, if he would have done it for the riders, then he might still have a respectable product. I think it all boils down to F. I. being too greedy.

Tim, if you would have worked with the people who first bought your cage than maybe things would be different. THIS is the main difference from FI to 905. Arron isn't all about profits. When I first talked to him , before anybody on here knew about the cage, he said he wanted to "help riders progress".

He thinks about the riders, unlike F I , who thinks of only profit.

Tell me, FI, how can you justify selling a cage to a beginner who goes and slames it 2 or 3 times, I MEAN SLAM not a drop. When this person calls you and says" this **** broke in like a week" and you ask for more money.

I'm not wasting my time typing because I hate FI........Im being honest....Now F.I. should be honest.. Tell us why you changed design Excatly, was it cost? Personally I would think you would have tested both designs.

There is no way No WAY that in testing the FI design would be more solid than the Racing 905 design.IF im wrong i have no problem admiting it.

Im not trying to **** anybody off , I just want to see the truth.

Btw,
The answer to your questions was actually answered 6 months ago in another BS "cage battle" thread that is honestly a waste of everyone's time. You guys have fun arguing. I just thought I would provide you with some more conrete facts. Take a look at the link. Tim's post is on page 3 if your account is setup to 15 posts per page.

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/sho...3&page=1&pp=20

and Tim said this:

Oh how I wish this could end. Please hear this. Stuntlife is a business and a public forum in which free speech is limited to where you are not supposed to use harsh language, slander, ****, and to remember that Shugga makes his money from what he advertises and sells through his stores. This allows us to have this place to converse. As far as my cages and other products go, can you for one minute blame me for protecting the idea and the place I spend a lot of money to advertise. I hear the word monopoly mentioned and there seems to be a few misconceptions. When I filed for the patents I submitted a few ideas to cover my bases and the concept along with every metal and a broad write up as to what that concept is. Because of the new nature of this patent if all goes well the government will protect that idea for twenty years and any attempt or configuration to do what FI started will be an infringement on that patent. (This is NO different from you trying to start a MC Donald's without buying the rights.) It was written to cover any configuration or different designs that you have seen. One of my original designs is very similar to what you have seen made by a few other companies and there are several reasons I chose not to manufacture those designs.

#1. In the way of the riders legs.
#2. when the cage bends (and they will all bend) the bolts that hold the cage in place are bent and when you try to remove those bent bolts from a cage that is completely welded nothing gives and that bent bolt rips the aluminum out of the head or mount.
#3. We have smacked curbs when ridding and half shell cages do NOT guard the undercarriage
#4. When you bend or grind through the cage you have to replace entire cage.
#5. Does not give ample room between bike and ground in the event the rider is caught underneath.
#6. The ability to repeat in manufacturing.
#7. Does NOT guard the upper, clip on, or levers as well.
#8. To Ridged has great potential for stress cracking the frame.
#9. Not aesthetically pleasing to the average rider that just wants to protect a common street bike.
#10 Because of rear mounts of cage it has greater potential of injuring rider in a fall.
#11. I ride too and these different designs were tested here In Texas a long time ago and the current design was overall the best.

The FI cages are not without fault but every day we are working to make things better and stronger without damage to the bike or rider. I have pro's all over testing the new ideas and giving constructive and honest feed back and we have a great set up because of it. To guy's and gal's who have purchased from us we have extended great appreciation and product assistance especially when a change in manufacturing occurred.

The one thing I ask is will you quit painting this horrible picture of what FI is because right now it just a couple of guy's who had a great idea and want make a living and ride.

Thanks
Tim Barnes
817-713-7948
Please feel free to call me or email me remembering that I will receive email here first tdaddybarnes@aol.com

Last edited by David P.O.B.; 04-09-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:29 PM

ScottFuries has a spectacular aura aboutScottFuries has a spectacular aura aboutScottFuries has a spectacular aura about

i dont know about all you guys, but i'm just gonna go ride...
Old 04-09-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by scubby
i dont know about all you guys, but i'm just gonna go ride...
I would but I need a dam plug wire
Old 04-09-2004, 05:58 PM

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

Why doesn't FI or any other company build two types of cages?? The FI cage as is right now would be great for top level riders and maybe a more bulky cage like 905 for stunters learning or dropping their bike alot.

Example.
Cage #1 = for those that are good/badass.
Cage #2 = dude, you suck but keep @ it.

As for these comments about the "pros" and what they use.... man **** the pros!! They gonna come fix my bike when its broke?!? NO!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by killroy44
Example.
Cage #1 = for those that are good/badass.
Cage #2 = dude, you suck but keep @ it.
I like #2 that's me

Quick Reply: Crash Cages