Crash Cages

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 09:35 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Crash Cages

thati s horribly stupid. unless you are copying exactly it will never stand up in court. look at forks? there are 100 of different types of forks and they are all roughyl the same design.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Outermost Moderator

ROB OUTERMOST is an unknown quantity at this point

i think thats sucks, theres always gonna be competition in every product on the market, i dont see why they are gettig all hurt. business is business
Old 04-01-2004, 02:10 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person

It is a fact. I talked to Jeff at MXD and he got a letter from FI's patent attorney to stop making them. Total BS! I don't think it will hold up either.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:06 AM

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree and disagree....i mean after all if you came up with the idea you would be upset if people were copying you,an exact replica would be bullshit; however i do not see a problem with someone taking your idea and adding modification and improving it. it is healthy for the business. after all crash bars have been on harleys for sometime.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:11 PM

KrazyKris750 is an unknown quantity at this point

Total I can't believe this is true . FI claim that they want the sport to move foward but they pull something like this . This sport has turned into a business and you guys at FI are raking in good money from it . Well in business you have competition and you have to make your product better(or a better price)to compete . Not sue people cause you were the first to mass produce a certain product Didn't care for FI before cause of there high priced cages...IMO...but this takes the cake
Old 04-01-2004, 12:35 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a load of crap. If FI keeps othere companys from selling cages, someone should publish very detailed plans (with all the measurements) for building your own cage, specific to each bike. Then stunters will have another option. Instead of paying like 400 for a cage, you could easily build your own for about $30
Old 04-01-2004, 12:38 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Bike have had crash cages since the 60s or 70s.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:40 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey i just thougt of something. Even with the patent, wouldn't you be able to sell all of the parts for the cage (tubing that is bent and cut to length, and all of the bolts) so that the buyer only needs to mount and weld them together?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:46 PM
cr6

cr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

905 rocks.... enough said and the company stands behind their products...
Old 04-01-2004, 01:02 PM

GSE_Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on guys this thread isn't about if one cage is better or worse than another, it's about a company taking action against others for building a similar product.
It is obvious from the answers above that the question was answered and they are trying to stop others from making their product, but more important I think is why are they doing this?
I mean like someone else said, if someone is out there making an exact duplicate of a product that they designed, then they have every right to want that stopped. But there is no reason to go after a company that makes something they call a cage just because it is called a cage. Using the F.I. and the 905 just for example, they are worlds apart from each other, there can't be any confusion that these are 2 different products that just are built for a similar purpose.
I hope their legal actions are only being addressed toward someone making the same exact product they have been making for so long because if not they can't win and shouldn't.
If that was the case than as soon as the first company to ever make sliders and put a patent on them did so, there would never have been so many companys making variations of the same product.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:26 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

The funny thing, when I first talked to aaron at 905, he said they didn't even know about FI while designing their cage. And MXD is a copy of 905 with sliders, right? Sounds like a load of ****.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Lick Tha Ballz

JPratt can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by GSE_Anthony
If that was the case than as soon as the first company to ever make sliders and put a patent on them did so, there would never have been so many companys making variations of the same product.
:YEAH

Took the words right out of my mouth... I need to make some money, so Im going to try and come up with a stunt and see if I can get that **** patented.. And if I see anybody doing it, I'll see you in court sucka's Time to get paid and stop working this 9to5 bullshit

Same **** goes for people that make rollbars/rollcages for cars. Alot of them look exactly alike, but nobody gets sued over it. But whatever, do ya thang..
Old 04-01-2004, 10:43 PM
myspace.com/redlinepeyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point

I just found this on e-bay, now this look like a rippoff http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35560
Old 04-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Lick Tha Ballz

JPratt can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by peyton101
I just found this on e-bay, now this look like a rippoff http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35560
peyton, that looks like the real deal to me. And the seller is from Austin y0..
Old 04-01-2004, 11:26 PM

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

I read a thread sometime back where Tim from FI said they had submitted copies of previous/current cage designs to the patent offices. He mention a cage design with limited shin space, maybe a hint that they previously had a cage design like 905. In light of that, I think that maybe 905 would have something to worry about.. but truthfully 905 should submit their design also. From a business aspect, they should all cover their asses with patents. my
Old 04-01-2004, 11:32 PM

GSE_Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peyton101
Peyton, the ad specifically says it is an F.I. cage they are selling. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:34 PM
myspace.com/redlinepeyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JPratt
peyton, that looks like the real deal to me. And the seller is from Austin y0..
Then if it is F.I. then whats up with the web site they list -- www.stuntme.com
Old 04-01-2004, 11:53 PM

felonyfreestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tick_9se7en3
FI wont get far with their legal action because of monopoly laws. Unless another manufacturer has duplicated their design nothing will happen. Everyone is entitled to improve upon existing products etc etc etc.
hes right, im in a buisness law class and i got a test next thurs over monopoly laws and all that ish dealing with fair comp. nothin will happen, trying to sue every cage maker out there will be a very time and money consuming event, if theyre smart fi will drop it
Old 04-01-2004, 11:58 PM

felonyfreestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

im not sure if the cages are patented or patent pending, if its pending it dont mean ****, if its pending i say we all make fi cages for ourselves LOL LOL
Old 04-02-2004, 05:56 AM
Extreme Action Images

FearlessGeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Crash Cages

Isn't it true that the older bikes, which had big loops over the engine be considered a type of cage? If so is F.I. going after Honda Kawaski, Suzuki, and Yamaha? I say just drop it let everyone do there own thing. This could end up costing them in the long run. I know my lawyers are big dollaz

Quick Reply: Crash Cages