How do pros make money in the stunt world?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 01:01 AM

Matt Gorka is a decent person
Re: How do pros make money in the stunt world?

On a serious note, refer back to Darius' post. I was hoping he would come on here and educate. Notice his professionalism and business-like approach to stuntriding. He's still having as much fun as anyone, he just uses his head for more than just breaking a fall.
It's hard, when you have a product, your natural kindness makes you want to just give it away for free, but you can't keep that up for long if you want to come out ahead. Next time you ask someone for a free shirt, act as if you just asked them for $12.00 It's the same thing. Now, multiply that by 10 people every contest. When our first video came out, we could have made a lot more money, but we just gave them away like business cards. It's tough, but supporting each other is the only way it can happen.
On a side note, shows are a good profit providing your expenses aren't too high. Break a bike during a $500 show and you might as well had wiped your bootie with a couple hunge. Doing shows before you're "ready" and undercutting the teams who are trying to make a living doesn't help the market either. In a perfect world, teams would be assigned regions and undercutting would not be an issue. Getting 5 to 6 G's for a show wouldn't be unheard of. Principles of supply, demand and market price.
Make enough doo-doo videos and **** enough people off in the process, the people who once bought will now be the ones that borrow.
I need a T.V. show, this typing takes too long.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:28 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person

I learned alot from this last Daytona event, while I was out riding breaking my bike for 3 days to make $500, Rick Payne sat there and sold bottled water and potato chips and made more than me, next time I go to a event I'm towing a hot dog stand and leaving my bike at home.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:34 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

-Rodger- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darius
I learned alot from this last Daytona event, while I was out riding breaking my bike for 3 days to make $500, Rick Payne sat there and sold bottled water and potato chips and made more than me, next time I go to a event I'm towing a hot dog stand and leaving my bike at home.

technically i COULD make my money b/c i can ship my tool of choice anywhere i want for $55 and fly there and back for $200. therefor even if i was paid a measly $500, i'd still come up $250. some of these show promoters need to realize the difference between a wheelie on a fiddy and the most finely tuned balancing act they've seen in quite some time. when they do see it they won't/don't acknowledge it, in fear that it may make more sense due to it's non-intimidating size and the fact I could wheelie it around the top of teh bar WHILE drinking a beer.

now if they want all the toys including street bikes, quads, scooters, dirtbikes, full sound system/stage/transport vehicle, 3 qualified pilots, connections w/ other riders from all over the states, and overall one of the most entertaining shows on the market. they have to ante up 5 g's.

the ole' saying you get what you pay for works perfect in the show aspect.

darius nailed the merchandise thing on the head. it helps, but still doesn't compensate traveling 2000mi., accomadations, food, etc... and that hot dog thing is a riot... STARDOGS ring a bell... i love the nacho cheese.

personally i think stunting is a front for alternative income(s). which sucks for the m/c enthusiast that works full time in the m/c industry, whom is fairly talented considering the amount of time he/she can ride due to their 45 hr./wk work schedule.

Last edited by -Rodger-; 03-15-2004 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:44 AM
SERVIN IT UP

if you can get someone to pay you $500 to ride a 50 your doing pretty good.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:59 AM

if you can get someone to pay you $500 to ride a 50 your doing pretty good.
one of these days boy, one of these days.

it just makes too much sense. you could bring a fiddy to the x games and put it right on the street course w/ the bikes, boards, and blades.

in order to get street bikes there you'd have to supply a 2000 x 200 section of flat payment. i think they'd rather put bleachers, vendors that pay for spots, and of course HOT DOG STANDS!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 02:23 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Rodg I got a big hot dog with your name written all over it :jerkoff
Old 03-15-2004, 02:32 AM

STchick is a decent person

learn to stunt, perfect yourself, practice, practice, practice. Make a video...sell the video, go to stunt shows, throw shows yourself...etc. What it really comes down to is, in the first year or two, or however long you're doing this all the money you make you need to turn around and invest back into what you're doing. so that means you need a real job. and do stuntin on side until it picks up or you start moving up. it has it's advantages and disadvantages....
Old 03-15-2004, 03:04 AM

Rodg I got a big hot dog with your name written all over it :jerkoff
i'll have my girl in AZ take care of that one for ya

Old 03-15-2004, 03:34 AM
SERVIN IT UP

What kind of bread would you like with your samwich??
Old 03-15-2004, 12:48 PM

hot magma is a decent person

Originally Posted by Matt Gorka
I need a T.V. show, this typing takes too long.
pm me... I don't know if I could get you a show but with out a doubt I could get any top stunter on television before the end of this year. I am in negotiataions with 2 cable networks about creating a reality show dealing with an amatuer motorcycle racer who is recovering from 19 broken bones, has a fulltime job, wife, kids and still finds the time to travel the country to race. Could premiere this fall, working title "Water Cooler Racing".
If the show gets picked up I would like to do a segment 5-8 minutes on stunting. I don't know how much I could help out on the money end off it but it would certainly be some decent exposure.
I would love to make a doc on stunting may be If the show doesn't get picked up I'll have the time just need the talent.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:56 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by XRodgCC
vendors that pay for spots
as small as the sport is now we cannot afford to pay vendor spots, well the smaller people anyway. basically only big companies could afford to break even or loose money. Someone like myself could not and i personally want my company to succeed. if it succeeds, it helps the sport succeed because then i can help others out with sponsorships, basically it's a win win situation.

And what Matt said is very true and it's the same concept i tell people. when you take goods and convert them into funds it brings a whole new perspective to free stuff. i am still scared to tally the total from daytona, i just keep putting it off.

basically in the mean time for us to succeed we just need to support each other by, attending events and spreading the word to bring in new fans, purchasing team DVD's, Crash Cages, Clothing, Jackets, ect....you get the point. Whether we like it or not we all have the same common goal. the truth is some will reach it and some won't just like anything else.

hope that made sense.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:41 PM

NoStunner is an unknown quantity at this point

How much do the top 5 pros make?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:24 PM

Larry L.O.X. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NoStunner

Good lawwwdddddd.......I am with Gorka and Shuggs now.........
Old 03-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Creater/Founder

shugga will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NoStunner
Not enough to live very well... honestly. And Im sure that most of them if not all have soe supplemental source of income.

StarBoyz... its merchandise
Patrick Stephens - owns his own business
Gorka - full time job
Rodg - sales at a major bike dealer

I could go on and on.
There isnt much money in the whole stunting game... Its a community of guys who should be having fun but instead focus on money and gettin rich and living rockstar lives.

Its possible out there... Like StuntRags Chris said, we all have to support eachother. Buy all yoru products from the stunters, companys, and people associated with the stunt world. Bring a few extra bucks to a show to pick up stuff from the vendors to help pay for thier trips, cause they SURELY are struggling financially to be there.

Anyway.. thats all...

OH yeah!! And what Gorka said... 110% dead on the money.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:04 PM
PsychoBuells Crazy Cracka

JAGMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

No doubt. HAHAHA!!! Ask Mr. Rick Payne about his first true run at the merch thing that I suggested to him before Stuntwars! He came up to me at the end of Stuntwars and said to me "Why did you not tell me to do this earlier? DAMN I cannot believe I have been missing out on this opportunity all this time! I ran out of stuff to sell!" HAHAHA!!! Then he steps up the game on me, and I am standing there watching him "teach the teacher" with the whole water, soda and chips trick! Didn't I feel stupid! HAHAHA!!!

JAGMAN
Old 03-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Pimp/Moderator

Mellen_MPZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see it now.......a dozen teams at the next event selling soda and nobody riding!!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:54 PM

Ninja Jay is an unknown quantity at this point

i make money on the corner of 19th and beck, what about you
Old 03-16-2004, 12:00 AM

F.I. Greg is an unknown quantity at this point

No joke. We could've sold bottled water for $3 a throw if we planned ahead. Don't think we won't do it next time!!! By the way, quit stuntin' your street bike dummy!! LOL!!

Greg
Old 03-16-2004, 12:06 AM
I Love To Post!

Sean24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by F.I. Greg
No joke. We could've sold bottled water for $3 a throw if we planned ahead. Don't think we won't do it next time!!! By the way, quit stuntin' your street bike dummy!! LOL!!

Greg
your my hero...
Old 03-16-2004, 08:26 AM
PsychoBuells Crazy Cracka

JAGMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mellen_MPZ
I can see it now.......a dozen teams at the next event selling soda and nobody riding!!!!

:YEAH

JAG

Quick Reply: How do pros make money in the stunt world?