injuries Part2 (wheelies)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:16 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up injuries Part2 (wheelies)

ok, I was out January 1st because it was 50 degrees out and I met up with some friends at this spot to practice slow'n down my wheelies. So after 'attempting' a few slow ones I bring one up, start to wobble left to right and dropped it on it's right side with the bike landing on my right foot. I roll a few times and when I try to get up my right foot feels numb and 'twisted'. So I hop into my brothers truck and we're off to the emergency room. 2 1/2 hours and several x-rays later I find out I pretty much broke every bone in my foot. How? I couldn't begin to explain how that happened to my foot. All I know is, 'the bike fell on my foot!', but to do this much damage? Well, I had 5 pins installed and had a cast for 2 months. Last week I had the pins and cast removed and am wearing a walking boot. My foot looks nasty, all swollen and discolored and I can hardly move my toes or walk! Anyway, I need some 'pick me up' stories of anyone who has broken their foot and has gone thru this and are stuntin again. What was your recovery period? How long did it take you to stunt again? And has the injury prevented you from stuntin like you did before you got hurt? For me it's not a matter of 'should I stunt again' but 'when can I stunt again'. I saw this one video of a guy named Brando? who was scrapin a high chair and fell with the bike landing on his foot, similar to mine. I know he's ridin again but don't know what kind of injury he had to his foot or his recovery time Sorry for the long post. You can tell I'm bored Anyway, any feedback would be great! L8r

-jr
Old 03-02-2004, 05:20 PM
I Love To Post!

aNskY can only hope to improve
Re: injuries Part2 (wheelies)

i broke my left foot and ankle loopin a pretty high speed wheelie on my dirtbike about a year ago. like you, i dont really know what happened other than the bike landed on it, but dirtbikes arent even heavy... it happened too fast... but as soon as it happened i was like "**** i broke my ankle" i knew right away... rode my buddies raptor home and he rode my bike.. spent the night in the hospital... had a soft cast for a couple weeks then a walking boot for a while. went to orthopedic dr... he told me to get PT but i was like fukk that. **** sucks. at least i didnt have my real bike yet or i woulda been even more pissed!
Old 03-02-2004, 05:25 PM

mead_hall is an unknown quantity at this point

my boy leo got his ankle ran over by a jeep.. anyhow hes been out of it for 4 months now.. but hes back surfin again.. good luck to u..
Old 03-02-2004, 06:23 PM

wangsta6 is a decent person

my bike fell from 12 onto my foot couldnt walk for a couple weeks but it wasnt broken
it got so swolen i had streach marks for a lil bit
Old 03-02-2004, 06:26 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: injuries Part2 (wheelies)

Originally Posted by aNskY
went to orthopedic dr... he told me to get PT but i was like fukk that.
yeah, you ain't kiddin, it does suck!!! I was in the hospital for 4 days and as far as the PT goes, I'm starting mine this week...two months worth
Old 03-02-2004, 07:40 PM
I Love To Post!

aNskY can only hope to improve

yeah yours sounds a lot worse than mine.... good luck man
Old 03-02-2004, 07:57 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

yea you gotta come to terms with what you're willing to risk to stunt. come to terms with your fear and desire.

i've toned down my riding when I realized I love doing sports and working with my hands. Broken bones/surgeries are all too common injuries in stunting.

I'm opening my own shop in the fall and I can't lose 6 weeks to a surgery or have a wrist that I can't turn a wrench with.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:59 PM

eric_24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I broke my foot because I landed a stand up crossed up, went to a tank slapper, the foot peg slammed into the inside of my foot 3 times as it was shaking. didnt wreck the bike, but when I got off of it at home, I couldnt get my shoe off cause myfoot was so swollen
Old 03-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Regular StuntLifer

FTPstunna is a decent person

Feet just like to shatter I think. I was running barefooted and stubbed my whole right foot on a 1 inch concrete rise before a door, bone came out 3 places of my foot, shattered in 7 pcs. and had tha pins sticking all outta my foot after the ER, just for stubbin my g'damn foot, i feel phuckin stupid, lmao, and tha funny thing is I guess I bent my foot to much while the pins where in and the one going from my big toe to the rest of my foot broke off, only the toe part came out, the rest is stuck in my bone, still there, but my foot is as good as new, been a couple years now tho.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 PM

R1Aaron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by r6_kidd
Anyway, I need some 'pick me up' stories of anyone who has broken their foot and has gone thru this and are stuntin again. What was your recovery period?
I busted my foot last September supermotard racing--hooked my foot on a curb and it got thrown under the bike and run over by the rear tire. Folded the foot in half and busted three bones in the middle of the foot, above the arch. No pins or anything, so I was only casted for about six weeks. The foot was weak but functional after the cast came off, and it took about another six weeks (3 months total) before I regained full strength and range of movement. Now, 1.5 years later, it's practically good as new. It still bothers me occasionally--especially during long sessions on the racetrack when I'm up on my toes a lot on the footpegs and moving around and it will start to ache--but otherwise I don't even notice it anymore.

Bottom line: Don't **** around with your recovery--follow your doctor's advice and stay off the foot for a long time (longer than you feel like you should) to allow it to fully and correctly recover. If you damage it again before it's fully healed it seems like it never gets right again.

Oh, yeah, and if you're racing motard, MX boots are a must, none of that flexy-flyer roadracing crap.

A