stator issues, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:47 PM

felonyfreestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
stator issues, PLEASE HELP!

i have a 01 929 that i wrecked and broke the stator. i just bought one off ebay and it doesnt work. ill charge the battery and within 10 minutes the lights will dim, gauges go out and the bike dies with a dead battery. could it be anything else than the stator? i havent rode my bike forever cause its never running. is it the stator or could it be somthin else??? the flywheel is new
Old 02-24-2004, 12:07 AM

Re: stator issues, PLEASE HELP!

anyone?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:20 AM

BVRider1 is an unknown quantity at this point

inspect your stator that you got off Ebay. make sure that there are no archs, or burn marks. Double check the wires and look at it from diffrent angles. I think according to the manual, you should get a zero reading from your stator, (volt reader). If all seems well there, try a new recitfier (sp?). I have one off a 929, I'll let you try it out, then if it works just pay me for it.

Oh.make sure you have good ground. Double check your battery, wires, anything that runs a ground. Good luck!!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:13 AM
LAWN JOCKEY

standy is a decent person

did you check charging output at the battery? With the bike running at about 1500-2000rpm with a charged battery, you should get 14-15.5 volts dc at the battery terminals. If yes, toss the battery.....if you have less than 14 volts, check the stator. First, make sure it isn't grounded. Set the volt meter to the ohms scale, and with the stator unplugged, check for continuity between each of the yellow wires and a ground one at a time. All should be open (flashing on the meter display usually, to show infinite resistance). if any numbers come up on the display, it's grounded, and the stator is bad. You can also check it for output with the engine running. Unplug it while the engine is running, and check ac voltage between the 3 yellow wires from the stator. You should have 50-100 volts ac from each of the 3 wires when you rev the bike up. Again, if the voltage readings vary much from wire to wire, the stator is bad. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:10 AM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

reg/rec
Old 02-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Mrs ATL Freestyle

naturalborn is an unknown quantity at this point

you can take the stator and have it checked to see if the 3 main parts are damaged or not, probally need a new stator man, pm me if you need more info on getting another one, i'll see what I can get
Old 02-24-2004, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by naturalborn
you can take the stator and have it checked to see if the 3 main parts are damaged or not, probally need a new stator man, pm me if you need more info on getting another one, i'll see what I can get
thanks for the help everyone. i have a brand new stator on order, so within a week i will deffinately know whats goin on with the bike. im gonna print this so i can refer to it later,
thanks for all the info standy, ill give it a try
Old 02-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Regular StuntLifer

FTPstunna is a decent person

I just had problems w/ my battery and stator.....ended up needing to change my rectifier also.....is that how u spell it? but yea, check that out too, those tend to go out from time to time w/ charging problems. hope this helps ~nick
Old 02-28-2004, 07:43 PM

CRASHCART is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goosecock
thanks for the help everyone. i have a brand new stator on order, so within a week i will deffinately know whats goin on with the bike. im gonna print this so i can refer to it later,
thanks for all the info standy, ill give it a try
If you get the stator and you still have problems, replace the whole charging system. Means, voltage regulator, and a new battery. Don't do the same thing i did, and try to get mix and match pieces to work. I lost almost the entire season last year for alot of the same reasons. Hondas fry regulators, and batteries. I just had to replace everything and my bike is running great. hint on the regulator, go to the aftermarket and get one that has cooling fins. OEM from honda will burn out much quicker because of where they are located on the bike, and just poor design. they are still solid state technology, but they cool off more effectively do to the fins (i.e. they are harder to burn up).