View Poll Results: how old should you be before you can ride a street bike?
6.76%
5.41%
12.16%
47.30%
28.38%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

How Young Is Too Young Too Ride A Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 08:43 PM

Mikey Doo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How Young Is Too Young Too Ride A Bike?

When I get my license my fierst vehicle will be a streetbike. :YEAH
Old 02-21-2004, 02:16 AM

jonjones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bler
Rossi started racing at age 3... look where he is now, one of the best superbike racers ever..
yup, no doubt. and now he's kicken *** on a yamaha. goes to show you, its not just the bike.

well, Mikey Doo, it looks like your gonna do what you wanna do, and thats cool, but just listen to some of the people here. learn to controll the bike, and then get that 9 man wheelie on tape!
Old 02-21-2004, 02:44 AM

Craps is an unknown quantity at this point

No one is ever going to be able to tell a 13 year old kid that he shouldn't get a street bike..in fact the more you tell him the more he'll try to get one as soon as possible...then 10 years later he might say (assuming he's still alive) that it was a pretty bad idea to get a street bike.
...learn a lesson kiddies:
i started riding dirtbikes (50cc) when i was about 8yrs old...raced some 125's around 12-14 years of age...16 came around and a friend down the street got a f1 hurricane or cbr hurricane-whatever it was...i thought i was big..been riding 8 or 9 years thought i knew what i was doing...thought i could handle the speed the WEIGHT and the responsibility...about 2 minutes after i got on the bike i got cocky, started to try to throw the bike around...got taken by the acceleration and crashed, broke my collarbone and left arm...and even worse totalled my friends sportbike that he'd only ridden two times...
moral of the story-no 13 year old kid can ever handle the responsibility of this machine-even 16 years old when all of your friends get cars, you're gonna have the fastest vehicle in highschool...and you're NOT gonna race it?
yeah right!!
if you want to be a mature rider, have the common sense to get some road experience...i don't think anyone under the age of 18 is mature enough to have a machine that does 150+mph or under 12secs in the 1/4 mile, weather it's a car a bike or whatever...
hell some of us older rider 24+ like myself are STILL too immature to handle a bike like this ....as we ALL go 150+ on the highways...although that is pretty dumb...we've got 8 or 9 years riding experience....
anyway..i'm done now...under 18 bad idea...under 16 death wish!
Old 02-21-2004, 03:45 AM
SERVIN IT UP

Darius is a decent person

If I had a streetbike when I was 16 I would be dead. I had a scooter I rode on the street when I was 13, It was totaled before it reached 1000 miles and it wasnt from just one crash. I used to ride my friends gsxr 750/1100 when I was 18 and I amost died on it running from the cops after they saw me do a wheelie. It's another reason our sport is hard to market, what normal parent is gonna let there kid buy a streetbike? I didnt get a bike till I was 24, there is a lot of responsability and self control to ride a streetbike which kids at a young age have none of.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:28 PM

sticky7841 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darius
If I had a streetbike when I was 16 I would be dead. I had a scooter I rode on the street when I was 13, It was totaled before it reached 1000 miles and it wasnt from just one crash. I used to ride my friends gsxr 750/1100 when I was 18 and I amost died on it running from the cops after they saw me do a wheelie. It's another reason our sport is hard to market, what normal parent is gonna let there kid buy a streetbike? I didnt get a bike till I was 24, there is a lot of responsability and self control to ride a streetbike which kids at a young age have none of.
Why didnt u get a bike til you were 24? Just curious.
Did u get caught when u ran or did u get away?
Old 02-21-2004, 09:01 PM

ChickenMan is a decent person

my bro is 14 and i let him ride mine
Old 02-21-2004, 11:42 PM

Mikey Doo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChickenMan
my bro is 14 and i let him ride mine

Did he crash it?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:52 PM
I Love To Post!

aNskY can only hope to improve

it all depends on maturity. i know for a fact no 13 yr olds are mature enough for a sport bike. hell, im almost 20 and have had mine for almost a year and im still not mature enough for one
Old 02-22-2004, 01:22 PM

crazycdme is an unknown quantity at this point

Im 15 and got one alreayd just startign to stunt i am gettign wheelies up and doign the burnouts. MKy parents got me a ysr at the age of 14 and motorcycles have been in my familyt all along. Responsibility is a major pat in getttign a streetbike. I am lucky my paretns trust me to own one.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:05 PM
WHEELIES "R" US

Jope is a decent person

Originally Posted by aNskY
it all depends on maturity. i know for a fact no 13 yr olds are mature enough for a sport bike. hell, im almost 20 and have had mine for almost a year and im still not mature enough for one

not mature for anything
Old 02-22-2004, 07:03 PM
I Love To Post!

aNskY can only hope to improve

good one
Old 02-22-2004, 10:01 PM

hummmanawho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikey Doo
When I get my license my fierst vehicle will be a streetbike. :YEAH
thats not smart cause even if your the best rider in the world it doesnt matter cuz you need experience driving among other cars to know how stupid people really are. (you wont live long if the first license you get is a mc license)
Old 02-23-2004, 12:18 AM

ArmTheH0MELESS6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im 16 and i have been riding for about 5 years... i have good clutch control and have no problems getting from place to place.. i wouldnt recommend trying any wheelies or anything else for a while on a street bike because the acceleration is insane and thats just on a 600cc bike so when i wanna try out new stuff its always in a dead area away from traffic on an 80cc dirtbike and on that i feel like i have full control
Old 02-23-2004, 01:15 AM

Magic_Cow is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my dad was riding his bike to school at the age of 12 so.... I just think it matters on the intelligent/behavior of the kid and his attitude towards a bike. Becuase some kids grow up faster and mature faster while others are still into POKEMON cards. So it depends.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:23 AM

Magic_Cow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aNskY
I was riding a sports bike at 12 with ease and so was my dad, but i knew what the bike could do and what it could do to me, once you realize that you'll be fine. Its just takes kids longer to get that in mind. I fell a few tiems becuase I was too small and misjudged/misplaced the weight of the bike.
Everyone walked before they ran and others crawled. Just remember some are still crawling even tho they can run, and those are the ******** who cost us the reputations for everything now.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:41 AM
♠ Азик Жфдгот ♠

kingyeddi is an unknown quantity at this point

I was rockin an F4 when I was 15. I started riding dirtbikes at about 9 (from 80s to a CR250 when I was 15 or 16), when I was 14 I got my motorcycle lic, and I got my first streetbike, a Ninja250!( ) I wanted an R1, but there was NO WAY that was gonna happen. But I ended up blowin the 250 up and my dad gave me his F4 for my 15th b'day. I couldnt belive the power diff!! I was like :YEAH
Old 02-24-2004, 12:10 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Dyno is a decent person

i started when I was 9 with dirt bikes. I got my motorcycle permit at 16, and im still waiting to raise money to get myself a bike...
Old 02-24-2004, 12:15 PM

Larry L.O.X. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R6bbie
start at 2 years old if you can.
what are you guys talking about?

Ya damn monkey he was talking about street bikes....you gonna put a 2 year old on a street bike?

I don't think a kid should get a streetbike/sportbike before they show the level of maturity it takes to CONTROL one of these things. Remember, sportbikes are like High End EXOTIC Sports cars when it comes to performance. Some of you say, 14 or 16. Hell would you give the keys to say Cherry GT500, or maybe even a Lamborghini, or a Porsche 911???????? What the hell are some of you cats thinking. I say NO......get a dirtbike, learn like all the people you have talked about in previous posts and learn to control the bike. You think Rossi just learned how to push that bike to its limits, but maintain CONTROL the whole time????? Hell naw, I can bet you this, he started out young, but started out riding in the dirt
Old 02-24-2004, 02:45 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Youll know when its time
Old 02-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Frogger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DieTrying
ok, here's some sound advice, dont get a streetbike when your 16. drive a car for a few years, get used to being on the road with all the idiot drivers out there. Start out on a small bike, not even a 600cc sportbike. you may not believe me, but i really dont think any 16 year old has enough self control or experience to be on a sport bike. This is coming from someone who has many many tickets and accidents prior to even turning 17. I just dont want to see some newly licensed kid hop on a bike and get hurt or even worse. Take it slow, learn the driving ropes, then graduate to a bike. Just be careful, it doesnt matter how good you are, its still dangerous as hell on the street, and the only thing that will keep you alive is common sense and experience.
Get some experience with dirtbikes, the skills you learn there are more valuable than anything once you hit the street. You learn to control a bike that is out of control.

be safe!
that's well said, I'm 18, but like DieTrying said, you are better off on 4 wheels for now, and getting used to the idiots on the road. I've laid my uncle's f2 down in an intersection cause some asswipe blowing through a red light didn't see me, and I had to dump it or I would've been a hood ornament. (I wasn't going fast, but he was). Learn the rules of the road with some steel around you, god forbid something happens. **** can happen too even to experienced riders, but it's more common with the inexperienced.

Quick Reply: How Young Is Too Young Too Ride A Bike?