f3 and gearing in general question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 10:20 PM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: f3 and gearing in general question

Originally Posted by aNskY
youll never get slow stuff if you dont learn to use the clutch
Very true, but neither rookie96F3 nor myself are going completely stunt at this moment. We just want to rock some wheelies down the road. Next year when my bike is paid off I'll get a cage and learn the clutch for slow stuff. But for now I'll just power up wheelies :YEAH
Old 02-15-2004, 10:37 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonnyGSXR
Very true, but neither rookie96F3 nor myself are going completely stunt at this moment. We just want to rock some wheelies down the road. Next year when my bike is paid off I'll get a cage and learn the clutch for slow stuff. But for now I'll just power up wheelies :YEAH
yeah before i even starting clutching first gear i learned powering up 1st gear standups...... i noticed some stunters they give a REally really small bounce right before they clutch it up or they bend their knees a tad.... i noticed it helps make it come up smooother..... i practiced doign this when powering it up and it became natural to me and i just switched the same lil bounce to the clutching
Old 02-15-2004, 10:57 PM

Quik is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aNskY
youll never get slow stuff if you dont learn to use the clutch
im not worried about the slow stunts. not planing on being a hardcore stunter just like to toss it up once in a while
Old 02-15-2004, 10:57 PM

cookin-f2 is an unknown quantity at this point

it's tha RIDER not the gearing!!!!just my
Old 02-15-2004, 11:26 PM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. When I was first learning wheelies I found myself automatically leaning forward for some reason till I got used to it coming up. Now I can get some pretty decent ones and I'm getting better each day. (all on my dirtbike at this point).

But, I also believe that the bike and gearing contributes. The right bike/right gearing helps a good rider.

Jon
Old 02-16-2004, 01:23 AM

to sum this up for me. -2,+2 and a 530 chain should be around what 200
and with this gearing it will be alot easier in 2nd? and i wont lose to much top
end? anything else i should know about?

all this help is very much apprecitive. planning on putting the bike back together here in the next few weeks. that is why im asking.thanks again

hey convert[sp] your from the burgh what shops you recomend to get these parts? my bike was tuned up at northgate honda. and dont suggest Norms
Old 02-16-2004, 02:08 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point

ansky--- your full of ****, you cannot even do wheelies let alone 2nd gear bounce ups.

clutching it up isn't near as hard on the drivetrain as you think. the reason that you cannot bounce your f3 up is that is isn't an f4i. f4i is fuel injection, 30lbs lighter and the weight placement is different. f3's in general are tough to come up in 2nd, i could do it when my clutch was brand new but now its got a few thousand miles on it and it wont pick me up as well. learn to clutch your wheelies its safer because it will always come up the same and it lets you ride better wheelies because you will come up faster thus not having to accelerate near as much. as for bouncing it lets your come up faster, smoother, and better. i never had bounced really untill i went to stuntwars and we being taught slow stuff and it makes the bike come up so easy. now i'm bouncing every time i do a wheelie and its so much more comfortable and you dont have to clutch near as much. just practice and get used to it a bit because i'm just starting to get used to it and i LOVE the way it feels.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:33 AM
I Love To Post!

aNskY can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Tenny44
ansky--- your full of ****, you cannot even do wheelies let alone 2nd gear bounce ups.
stfu ***, what do you know? i cant do anything cool [yet] but i can wheelie... and i can bounce it up in 2nd. maybe my bike came with gears that i dont know about lol..
Old 02-17-2004, 01:11 PM

palladin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey i have a 1997 F3 with -1+3 and a 520 and i can bounce/power it up sitting in 2nd and stand it up in third w/o the clutch. bouncing is the way to learn and once you have that locked down then you should start to clutch it up cause its more consistant and you can do it at slower speeds. but this is just what i have done and is just my $.02
Old 02-17-2004, 01:34 PM

tequilagb is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 98 F3 with stock gearing right now. I do have to agree that the F3's are a bitch to get up. I'm not a big fan of bouncing... I don't know, I just don't like to go down the road hopping up and down on my bike. I'm a clutch person. I rode dirt bikes, so thats what I'm used to.

But anyways, any gearing you give the F3 is going to help alot. As for me, I have a 98 F3 w/ stock gearing, and in order for me to get it up, I have to be rolling about 5 mph, pull the revs up to around 10,000-11,000, and let that clutch rip. I plan on gearing real soon. I'm just going to keep gearing until I'm able to pick it up in first around 6,000 rpm. That way it will give me time to balance it out.

As for second gear, I have tried everything on my F3 to get it to come up in second. No luck. The only time I've ever gotten it high in second (besides the 8 inch wheelies) was when I had a passenger on the back. I plan going -1 +3 here real soon. My buddy has that on his 97 F3, and its pretty nice. Top speed is still around 120. Only lost about 20-25 mph on the top end. Keep it up!
Old 02-17-2004, 01:51 PM

od1nixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CBR up on one
Well who ever you were talking to is stupid and never rode a F3. This bike in no way shape or form could be bounced up in second. Plus why the fu(k would you want to bounce it up???? Grow some ***** and do it right, clutch it up. If you can't do that, you don't need to be on a bike...plain and simple.
Never say you can't. Because you just made yourself look like an idiot. I have bounced up 2nd and 3rd on an f3 and an f2.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:39 PM

CBR up on one is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by od1nixer
Never say you can't. Because you just made yourself look like an idiot. I have bounced up 2nd and 3rd on an f3 and an f2.
I sure don't believe for a second that a F3 got bounced up in 3rd. Post a video biotch. My F3 is +17 and it dosen't even think about bouncing in 3rd. Put that video where you mouth is.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:59 PM

CBR up on one is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rookie96F3
to sum this up for me. -2,+2 and a 530 chain should be around what 200
and with this gearing it will be alot easier in 2nd? and i wont lose to much top
end? anything else i should know about?

all this help is very much apprecitive. planning on putting the bike back together here in the next few weeks. that is why im asking.thanks again

hey convert[sp] your from the burgh what shops you recomend to get these parts? my bike was tuned up at northgate honda. and dont suggest Norms
Heck yeah it will be easier in 2nd.
As for losing top end...you will lose about 20%

% change= (original gear ratio-new gear ratio)/ original gear ratio*100%
=(2.87-3.46)/2.87*100%=20.75%
Old 02-17-2004, 09:56 PM

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point

there is no way i believe that its bounced up in 3rd. post a vid and show me and i'll believe it. cbruponone is an awsome f3 rider and hes up 17 teeth and he cannot do it. i've seen him ride and he knows his stuff so if you show me you bounced it up other than that your full-o-****.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:11 PM

about what is the top speed of these bikes around 160 correct.. if i gear it up
you guys are saying ill lose mad top end. topping out around 120 that will suck. reason is i go to the strip a few times a year and wanted to run the bike at the track to see what it does. out of what ive seen these bikes usually run mid 120s down the track.

would it be better -2,+2 or -1,+3
Old 02-17-2004, 10:26 PM
I Love To Post!

aNskY can only hope to improve

yeah i dont know if i believe 3rd gear bouncing.... 2nd is possible i know for a fact

rookie you can swap gears, it doesnt take long... how often would you be ging to the track? just have 2 sets of gears...

edit: i realized you meant drag strip.. in that case gears will only make you faster unless you top out... just do some calulations and figure out exactly how much gearing can take you 1/4mi the fastest
Old 02-18-2004, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by CBR up on one
I sure don't believe for a second that a F3 got bounced up in 3rd. Post a video biotch. My F3 is +17 and it dosen't even think about bouncing in 3rd. Put that video where you mouth is.
I'll put that at the top of my priority list
Its not like I'm the only one that can do that.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:34 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Dont bounce up wheelies. Do it right, use the clutch. Thats why its there.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:00 PM

lol, indeed. It's been a while, and it's a rare occasion that I just strictly bounce it up.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:41 PM

palladin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

If i were you and did not want to lose much top end then i would only go -1+3 and you should still be able to go hella fast and pop up some sick wheelies. Going -2+2 is the same as if you went -1+5 because -1 in the front is the same as +3 in the back, and that will kill your topend just a little bit more. Overall any gearing that you do will make your bike feel 10 times faster than it does now and practice along with the gearing will get your front tire soaring for the sky.

Quick Reply: f3 and gearing in general question