Crash Cages

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 08:41 AM

Kevin Emary is an unknown quantity at this point
Crash Cages

I'm not trying to start the whole cage drama again but I'm going to buy one. I read all the old threads on the cages and have decided on either a Powers Bike Workz or the MXD Cage. Need some info on either one from some people that have used them or know people that have them. Pro's, Con's, and all that good stuff. Just trying to decide which one I'll get. Thanks for ANY info I KNOW you all can provide.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:16 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Crash Cages

i am not familiar with mxd, but i can tell you about the powers.

pros
clearance, new improved sliders, strong, powder coat in any color.

cons
shin buster until you get used to it, easy fix with foam though.

if you have any other questions about them F.I or 905 let me know.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:23 AM

HOLDINGITBIG will become famous soon enoughHOLDINGITBIG will become famous soon enough

I thought I was gonna bust my shins on the powers when I looked at it, but if you know it's there you don't .... I run 3 powes cages, and have never hit my shins. great cage.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

The Powers look good but do they protect the engine better than FI's ?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:59 AM

HOLDINGITBIG will become famous soon enoughHOLDINGITBIG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by not_me
The Powers look good but do they protect the engine better than FI's ?
how many complaints on this board do you have about FI and how they cracked everybody's **** up, and stripped everybody's motor out ....?? many

how many complaints about powers?? none. GRANTED, there are more FIs out there at this point, but there aint even ONE complaint about powers not protecting ....

I have PUNISHED my powers cages, and they wont break!!!! .... sometimes I just go out and try to bust it up ... and it dont work
Old 01-30-2004, 01:25 PM

cookin-f2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm running the home made kind on mine,cause i dont think they make one 4 a f2 go with the fi cage bro
Old 01-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MEACHAM
how many complaints on this board do you have about FI and how they cracked everybody's **** up, and stripped everybody's motor out ....?? many

how many complaints about powers?? none. GRANTED, there are more FIs out there at this point, but there aint even ONE complaint about powers not protecting ....

#1 NO CAGE will protect everything. SOMETHING will eventually break. When you reinforce areas, all it does is send the impact force to the next weakest link.

#2 WHO runs Powers cages? I'm on this board and active in the stunt community for a couple years now, and I know very little about them. I personally don't know ONE person (that I can remember anyways!lol) running these cages, yet I personally know 30 or 40 riders who run FI with no complaints-and not all of them are 'sponsored' by FI. I don't even know who makes the Powers cage...I"m assuming Chris over at Stuntragz. The number of people who run Powers is prolly limited. The #'s running FI are WAAAY more than ANY other company, hence the greater ratio of "complaints"....

On another note: who is going to complain about something they get for free? - no one, because they aren't paying for them. I know some people in the MidWest who run FI, still pay for them, and refused offers of free cages from another competing manufacturer...this tells me one thing: FI is quality *****, and are the market leader in this area.

lets get a roll call as to who owns which style cage and how many of those numbers have paid for that cage...my guess is that info will shed quite a bit of light on your comments of no complaints for this cage or that cage, etc.

the axe is going to fall soon, and only one will be left standing.

Not raggin on anyones choice in cage or anyone making these cages, just making a point.

Teach
Old 01-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Likes to poop

Mr. Negative is an unknown quantity at this point

I have powers cage as do a few of the people I ride with and all of us paid for them. Also team extreem uses them, thats where I got it.

I sold my F.I cage after my friends 900 not only broke the motor mount but broke the engine case. Yes I know they updated their design I heard it helped, but I have no experince with the chromoly ones so I can't comment.
The problems I see with the powers cage it tends to roll over on the tank and upper and you have to watch your shins when you first get it. I think the powers 929 design still needs some refining.
Its all a trade off of what you like better NOTHING is going to keep your bike from getting destoryed in the long run, sport bikes just were'nt designed with the intention of the abuse that all of us dish out to them everytime we ride. That being said I personaly would rather fix easy bolt on peices like clip on's and shifters then have to weld frames and engine blocks. Just my
Old 01-30-2004, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
#1 NO CAGE will protect everything. SOMETHING will eventually break. Teach
I 100% agree. The reason I am not getting a F.I. is I had 3 friends get them (not for free) and 1 dropped it not that hard but the loop bent and broke the case cover. 2nd one dropped it and broke his motor mount. 3rd one dropped it and bent the bar on one side broke the case cover and broke his motor mount. All of this happend within 2 weeks of getting them. That is all first hand experience of the F.I. cages BUT I have heard good things about the new ones. But Like you said Teach NO CAGE will protect everything w/o thier F.I cages it would of been much worse than it was. Thank you all for the info. I have emailed MXD and Powers and asked the pro's and con's of each others products so that should help me a little. Has anyone used the MXD cage? I know DME has but they are in FL.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:42 PM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point

I am running 2 powers cages now. I bought a FI cage first. Nothing against FI becasue they seem to be the pioneers of cage making and I am thankful for people like that for doing something for us the stunters. I ride an 01 gxsr 750 and my Fi cage busted my starter cover (not stator) and I aslo kept bending the 2 bars that mount the cage to the 2 subframe bolts. This idea is bad because I broke my subframe because the side bars put to much pressure to my subframe. With the powers cage it uses the strong rear engine mount bolt and does not tie into the subframe. I paid for both cages full price. I have been barrel rolling my bike at least 1 time a week and have not had a problem. All I break is my vortex clip ons but who cares I get replacements for cheap.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:20 PM
is a squid

BIG-D is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kevin Emary
I 100% agree. The reason I am not getting a F.I. is I had 3 friends get them (not for free) and 1 dropped it not that hard but the loop bent and broke the case cover. 2nd one dropped it and broke his motor mount. 3rd one dropped it and bent the bar on one side broke the case cover and broke his motor mount. All of this happend within 2 weeks of getting them. That is all first hand experience of the F.I. cages BUT I have heard good things about the new ones. But Like you said Teach NO CAGE will protect everything w/o thier F.I cages it would of been much worse than it was. Thank you all for the info. I have emailed MXD and Powers and asked the pro's and con's of each others products so that should help me a little. Has anyone used the MXD cage? I know DME has but they are in FL.
i like the mxd one..but i still havent decided on which i am going to get let me know kev..bc i need one bad fo mine
Old 01-30-2004, 10:20 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

heres a good pro/con of the top 2
Merks 905 (i also use 905 on my '54) hit on the lh side from a dropped h/c scrape , it shifted and dmg. the jb weld on the stator cover.

Others FI have dmg. the motor mounts, but it still holds up strong as hell!
Old 01-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Outermost Moderator

ROB OUTERMOST is an unknown quantity at this point

looking to get one for my F4i, its a hard decision when your paying that much money. any perferences for F4i?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Regular StuntLifer

ocat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROB OUTERMOST
looking to get one for my F4i, its a hard decision when your paying that much money. any perferences for F4i?

im in the same boat.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:07 AM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ridemyf4i
im in the same boat.
me 3 (pickin up a f4i pretty soon) but if i dont hear anything else from anyone im gonna go w/ the F.I bar.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:21 AM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point

to be completely honest i was gonna buy the fi cage but some of my good buddies told me not to, not a suggestion , but said DO NOT BUY IT because the experiences they've had. so i bought a 905 and have had minor problems with the cage shifting around from multiple drops, but all in all it's paid for itself 10 times over, besides the shifting nothing has ever broke that's including a couple botched 12 attempts that were flipping thru the air. on the other hand i did drop the bucks for the fi 12 bar and im very happy with it, it's bent all over the place but it's my fault for droppin it, if it didn't bend im sure the subframe would have bent worse than it has. im not biased toward any company, those are my experiences, who knows if i would have bough an fi cage i might have had good luck with it.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by ALLDUBS
i like the mxd one..but i still havent decided on which i am going to get let me know kev..bc i need one bad fo mine
Yea I'll hit ya up when I get mine (Still undecided) Could you get me some pics of the mxd cage for the 900rr? I have not been able to find any pics of the cage for a 900? Anyone else that could help would be great too.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:10 AM

StuntRagz Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

#1 NO CAGE will protect everything. SOMETHING will eventually break. When you reinforce areas, all it does is send the impact force to the next weakest link.

#2 WHO runs Powers cages? I'm on this board and active in the stunt community for a couple years now, and I know very little about them. I personally don't know ONE person (that I can remember anyways!lol) running these cages, yet I personally know 30 or 40 riders who run FI with no complaints-and not all of them are 'sponsored' by FI. I don't even know who makes the Powers cage...I"m assuming Chris over at Stuntragz. The number of people who run Powers is prolly limited. The #'s running FI are WAAAY more than ANY other company, hence the greater ratio of "complaints"....

On another note: who is going to complain about something they get for free? - no one, because they aren't paying for them. I know some people in the MidWest who run FI, still pay for them, and refused offers of free cages from another competing manufacturer...this tells me one thing: FI is quality *****, and are the market leader in this area.

lets get a roll call as to who owns which style cage and how many of those numbers have paid for that cage...my guess is that info will shed quite a bit of light on your comments of no complaints for this cage or that cage, etc.

the axe is going to fall soon, and only one will be left standing.

Not raggin on anyones choice in cage or anyone making these cages, just making a point.

Teach
i do not make any cages, i simply offer a variety of cages so you can pick and choose. It gives me some business and gives you guys somebody else to talk to, since i am just a great guy and all. Plus i know sometimes it is hard to get in touch with those guys, so i am just another avenue for everyone. Anyway, Matt Powers of powers welding makes the powers cages. he is located up North. i talk to Aaron (905) Matt (Powers) and Tim (F.I.) frequently and believe they all have a great product. it is simply preference and as Teach said, eventually something will give. Each have their pros and cons and anytime anyone wants to know they can PM for my unbias opinion. i will also have a pro con section on the website soon. Bottom line....They all work!
That's a rapp

Last edited by StuntRagz Chris; 02-02-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:57 AM

WHO runs Powers cages? I'm on this board and active in the stunt community for a couple years now, and I know very little about them. I personally don't know ONE person (that I can remember anyways!lol) running these cages, yet I personally know 30 or 40 riders who run FI with no complaints-and not all of them are 'sponsored' by FI. I don't even know who makes the Powers cage...I"m assuming Chris over at Stuntragz. The number of people who run Powers is prolly limited. The #'s running FI are WAAAY more than ANY other company, hence the greater ratio of "complaints"....

Teach

hhmm, well, besides the number of people who just responded and said " i use powers" .... how about a guy by the name of THEW ... or how about a stunt team that's called TEAMX-TREEM ..... anyone ever heard of them? Check out TODD's website ... he aint sellin FI ...
Old 02-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

i had posted before, thanking everyone for valuable comments and saying how I am now edumacated, but it effed up, so i didnt repost...

i've been competing with thew all year and never saw him running those cages, i saw FI i think, if i even saw a cage....as for team xtreme, i've seen them all of 1 time at psychofest and i dont think they had cages, if they did, they didnt stick out, nor did i know they sell them...

my numbers argument still stands....you were the 19th post of the topic. you obviously are going to have more complaints about a cage that 2000 people have, than a cage that a handful of people run.

people bitch about FI breaking bc they THROW their bikes and expect no damage...some of the wrecks i've seen will tweak ANY cage...

i know about FI, i've heard a lot about 905 and seen their stuff, i had never seen or heard of Powers-now I have!

my next question is how well does the 905 and powers protect the clipons and paint-meaning tail section, upper, etc?

chris, i've been talking with Dot about a cage comparison, but i dont think it will happen soon, looks like you are the man for this!

Teach

Quick Reply: Crash Cages