From 50 to 600

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 07:57 PM

sungwei is an unknown quantity at this point
From 50 to 600

Ok so a lot of people recommend learning brake/throttle control on an xr50 to really learn how to wheelie well. Now my driveway is big enough to use one of these things and I was seriously thinking bout getting one for the sole purpose of getting better at wheelies.

My question is how transferrable are the skills learned on a 50 to my 600 F4? If I can wheelie well on a 50 will I be able to hop on my F4 and start to wheelie away?

The other thing is the xr50 doesn't have a clutch. So you won't really learn how to bring it up that way which is pretty important.

So should I just learn on the big bike or is the 50 really gonna make me a stunt master and worth the 2k investment?
Old 12-08-2003, 08:01 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point
2k!!! dude they are only 1200 from the dealer and you can get 2001+ for around 700-900 on eaby.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:26 PM
A Few Loose Screws - DVD

CRAZY DAN is a decent person
xr50 is a better way to go if you dont want to risk crashing your big bike.

the xr will only teach......balance and brake control. to learn how to pop up a wheelie with clutch, i 'd suggest a 4-wheeler or dirtbike.

then move up to the streetbike. if you decide to learn on the streetbike. take your time, practice and only push yourself as far as you feel comfortable with!

good luck
Old 12-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
You just have to learn how to use the brake. Its not as simple as wheelyin and mashin the brake. Trying to listen to everyone try to explain it wont get you anywhere but confused. Just get something cheap to crash and figure it out. Try all the crap people throw at you until you find what works. You just have to figure out how and when to use it in different situations. The reason a fiddy is so good at teaching you from what I have found out is that when learning brake control on any bike you are very likely to ball up... a few times. What is cheaper to wreck on? To answer your other question about going from the 50 to the big bike the simple answer is no. The bikes are different animals. But, you will understand how to apply the brake and if you lay off the big bike long enough, the brake will have become instinctive so odds are you arent gonna loop. You will mousetrap a few times but you will get it after a while. I went from freeway wheelies to 12s on the big bike in no time after laying off the big bike and riding the fiddy for a month or so.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:50 PM

For under 1k it may be worth it. I wanna learn how to clutch it up though. A bigger bike (xr80, quad) would be too much for the driveway. I actually know how to clutch it up as I used to do it consistently all the time....until I looped it. Now I'm all scared n' **** and I don't wanna wreck my ride.

The thing is everyone here stresses rear brake! rear brake! That's all I hear and it's so hard for me to do cause that's not the way I initially learned.

LB3, you're saying that the difference from 50 to 600 won't be that great, but you're saying you went from freeway wheelies to 12s. I'd say that's pretty big just from riding the 50 right?

BTW Dan your stunt school is nice. Only thing is the video's aren't working for my computer and I have the plug ins. Don't be surprised if I shoot you some stunt questions via e-mails your way :D
Old 12-08-2003, 09:10 PM

TEDDY.B is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe it's just me but i didn't think either the quad or 50 helped much at all. if any. but i guess it's diffrent for everyone.
although it may help some/most people don't expect to get wheelies/brake control down on the 50 and be able to hop on your bike and bust out 12's the next day.
anyway i'd buy the 50 for fun, cause thats what they are! and if it's helps you thats an added bonus. seriously i don't think there has been very many people that regreted buying a 50.

= 10 lbs of fun shoved into a 5 lb bag
Old 12-08-2003, 09:31 PM

gixxer750rider will become famous soon enough
i wanna get me one of those little derbi gpr 50 r moped's but they look like sport bikes that would be pimp jus to fukk around on since i already know how to wheelie and do stunts on my real bikes

heres a pic of one
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	blk-red.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	51519  
Old 12-08-2003, 09:43 PM

I would hate to crash that thing though. It's just too pimp!

I figured the 50 would be good cause at least I can use it in my driveway during those days I can't ride out somewhere and learn brake control at the very least.

Does it build up your confidence any?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:28 AM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by sungwei

LB3, you're saying that the difference from 50 to 600 won't be that great, but you're saying you went from freeway wheelies to 12s. I'd say that's pretty big just from riding the 50 right?
Hrmmm... maybe I said it wrong.. The difference is huge. Like TEDDY.B said, you arent gonna get good on the fiddy and then jump on the big bike and have everything fall into place for you. For me, getting better has to do with learning your bike better. The fiddy will teach you to instinctively hit the rear brake during oh **** moments cause you will have a ton of those on the fiddy. It also gives you somthing to learn the balance point with that you dont have to care about so much.. for instance, you learn what happens when you arent at the balance point, what happens when you hit it.. what happens when you go past it, what happens when you are in the bp range, at the front or the back, what happens when you tap the brake, what happens when you ride it a little, you learn how choppy throttle inputs effect wobbles.. etc. etc. etc. on and on and on. Once you figure all that stuff out and you know what happens you can expect other bikes to act similar.. you just have to go slow and learn the next bike... I dunno.. I could be completely full of crap.. but thats how it is for me.

Not only that.. but the fiddy is tons of fun.. I didnt even have the urge to ride the big bike for a couple months after the fiddy. I rode every day every chance I could. My neighbors hate me and throw **** at me when I am on the fiddy I rode it so much.. lol. Get one.. you wont be disappointed.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:36 AM
go **** yourself

brian127 is an unknown quantity at this point
what dan said.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:49 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
ya, that's all good advice.

i had a hard time taking it over to my streetbike though. usually if i ride my fiddy for a whlie it messes me up on the big bike, but to get concepts down first, i could see it helping. the balance and all.

they are fun to have for their own reasons though.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:35 PM

Hmm, ok. I guess I'll look into one. There's gotta be a good deal somewhere around my neck of the woods.

I think the cool thing is that they make big bore kits and 12 bars and other cool mods it.

I didn't expect it to make me be able to 12 my bike, but at least improve my basic wheelie skills.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:11 AM
JTL

JTL is an unknown quantity at this point
A GPR wont wheelie very well. My friend has one with a pipe and 75cc kit and you can clutch it from WAY beyond where the numbers stop on the tach (remember its a 2 stroke ) and it wont come up