929 problems - no reving down? help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 11:35 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough
929 problems - no reving down? help!

I have a 2000 929 w/ 1800 miles on it. Love the bike EXCEPT that when you have the idle at about 2,200 - 2,300 when you rev the bike - it takes a while to come back down. No problem doing idle tricks, bike chugs along no problem

Problem when you jump to the seat to rock a nice slow seat stander, let of the gas for some engine brake & it won't rev back down (lands me on the license plate cause i got no bar).

you can also NOT raise the idle above 2,500 rpm. the more you turn the know, the slower it won't rev down.

Ive heard talk about dis-connecting a servo & the cables to the valve on the exhaust.

I want it to run just how it is, just changing the idle back down to 1,500 to do slow tank wheelies & slow seat standers stinks.

its find if you have moderate rpm's you get fine enging brake - but trying to creep on it sucks.

any suggestions? i know alot of guys are runnin' these bikes & im not the only one that feel's that crap.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:32 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
ummm, get a bar
Old 11-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I always get this mixed up but I think this is right.. When the bike is running too lean and it is idling, if you give it gas and then let off the tach will go up and then it will go back down and go under the normal idle rpms a little bit and slowly creep back up to your normal idle rpms.. When it is running too rich and you do the same thing with the gas it will drop and then about 500 rpms before it gets to the normal idle rpms, it will slowly idle down to normal idle speed. If this sounds like your problem then it is most likely an air/fuel mixture problem. I am sure somebody will post after this letting you know if its too lean or too rich. I think you are too rich. Maybe check your airfilter and make sure its not all dirty making your airflow restricted.

oh yeah.. and that vid in the video section of you cats is clean...

Last edited by Lb3; 11-21-2003 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:38 PM

JAVIER is an unknown quantity at this point
YOU CAN GET THE BIKE SINCK
Old 11-21-2003, 12:40 PM

The bike sat for a while, so im sure it needs a airfliter & plugs - but ive heard of this w/ 2 of my boys that ride the same bike.

Thanks for the props on the video - gonna put together another one sunday.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator

BTBent is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya every 929 i ride feels way different and has something funky with the revving or idle and throttle...partly why i didnt get one...just picked up a 954 but since its pretty much same motor and exhaust i might have the same probs haha. My buddy matt pinned that exhaust valve open and is gonna get a custom map with a pcIII and see what that does...already a pcIII helped it run better all around.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:04 PM

Lemme know if that works!!
Old 11-21-2003, 07:06 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm too tired to read the posts but it's the exhaust valve opening and closing. when you turn the idle up, blip the throttle and it'll hang, that's the valve opening, when it falls back down that's the valve closing. cause it'll idle at 3500 but when you blip the throttle and open the valve, it'll jump to 5k and hang there.

i'm getting ready to remove mine. mine is stock now and i just turn it up to 4500 and i rock slow **** no problem.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Regular StuntLifer

john john is an unknown quantity at this point
i asked everone abought this and nobody can help i took my whole valve out and put a bolt in the hole and that still didnt help so i guess you just have to find the right gearing to rock the slow **** i went -2 +8 and run at 2200 and that works pretty good but if anybody find out how to fix it let me know cus this **** drove me nuts trying to fig it out
Old 11-21-2003, 10:51 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Spark~R.O.C. is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard that you need to take the flaps out of the airbox, remove the cables to the servo, remove the cables to the exhaust, remove the exhaust valve, plug the hole, and If it's runnin bad you will need to re-synch the throttle bodies. I've asked so many people and they all say the same stuff. I'm in the process of doing it all tight now. I havent rode my 929 yet...still setting it up. I'll let ya know.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:10 PM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough
funny theres a lot of us setting up 929's nowadays
Old 11-22-2003, 12:04 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Spark~R.O.C. is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by DSOG Thomas
funny theres a lot of us setting up 929's nowadays
Yeah, hopefully they're as tight as everyone says....It doesnt make sense...I rode an f4i...loved it...so I went and bought a 929...I hope I like it...
Old 11-22-2003, 12:45 AM
back in the saddle again

Originally posted by john john
i asked everone abought this and nobody can help i took my whole valve out and put a bolt in the hole and that still didnt help so i guess you just have to find the right gearing to rock the slow **** i went -2 +8 and run at 2200 and that works pretty good but if anybody find out how to fix it let me know cus this **** drove me nuts trying to fig it out

that's your problem...i rock 4500rpm...not 2200. i'd say at least 3500rpms on that beast otherwise it bogs too bad.

and i love my 929 more than anything.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:07 AM

mattdedes is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm i have the same idle problem, crank it up above 2 grand, hit the gas a little and hangs at like 6 grand, i wanna hear someones tried and true method of correcting this.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:10 AM
back in the saddle again

i just blip the throttle whlie i'm adjusting the idle to see where it's at, then i leave it there, when i start rocking stuff, it works out fine for me. 4500
Old 11-24-2003, 07:13 PM

4,500? damn. Ive got mine @ 2,200 & it'll chug along for days on idle doing NTH's & no handers. Can't stall the thing. Granted im +20. I just dont like turning the idle back down to creep seat standers.

I was thinking of doing a full system - but i love how it runs & feels now besides that problem - typically full systems do loose low end power. Bah, i have no idea.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:36 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally posted by 1000ceecee
4,500? damn. Ive got mine @ 2,200 & it'll chug along for days on idle doing NTH's & no handers. Can't stall the thing. Granted im +20. I just dont like turning the idle back down to creep seat standers.

I was thinking of doing a full system - but i love how it runs & feels now besides that problem - typically full systems do loose low end power. Bah, i have no idea.
i'm 1 down 10 up and it chugs at low....i keep the idle high.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:21 AM

I.B-speedy is an unknown quantity at this point
don't waste your money on a full system, it does **** for the idle problem. it's an on going 929 problem. but that exhaust flap doesn't really affect it, my friend screwed with the mapping and that did **** also, richer=same prob. leaner=same prob. talk to Joe Brown he's got settin' up 929's down to a science.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:41 AM
back in the saddle again

Originally posted by I.B-speedy
don't waste your money on a full system, it does **** for the idle problem. it's an on going 929 problem. but that exhaust flap doesn't really affect it, my friend screwed with the mapping and that did **** also, richer=same prob. leaner=same prob. talk to Joe Brown he's got settin' up 929's down to a science.

and joe brown also took his valve and flapper valve out of his bike too.....as did mike and darius from the west coast.

i had a full system on my mint 929 and it didn't have an idle problem, it idled just fine.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:14 AM

Hmmm. Im gonna go ask Nags - Joe brown set his up.

Quick Reply: 929 problems - no reving down? help!