View Poll Results: How do you feel about Tandem Stunts?
I enjoy watching them and like seeing them compete with the solo riders
13.01%
I enjoy watching them perform, however they should have a class of thier own when competing
51.22%
The Danger of two people's life in jeapordy gains my interest
10.57%
Don't enjoy watching them...why risk a passengers life
15.45%
Only good for Shows and Spectator Purposes
27.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Tandem Stunts- What's Your Take

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 01:12 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tandem Stunts- What's Your Take

Just trying to get a overview on how everybody feels about Tandem Stunts. For instance, should they be able to compete with the solo riders or have a class of their own? Would there be enough entries if there was a class of their own? Is there really any skill to being a Tandem rider or is it all up to the trust in the riders skill/control?

I for one would never ride/stunt with a passenger. It is enough risking my own life...let alone risking a passengers life at the same time. I do enjoy watching Tandem stunts, however I feel they are only good for show purposes. I believe, if they are going to compete then there should be a Tandem class.

What are your opinions on this topic?

*** You can Select any two of the Poll Options ***
Old 11-18-2003, 01:33 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
I know I'll get flamed for it, but I do not enjoy watching tandem stunts... although, I'm pretty sure the non riding crowd likes it
Old 11-18-2003, 01:34 AM

J.C. is an unknown quantity at this point
i think that the passenger has no talent at all

and in most cases the rider doesnt have very good control

so i am going to have to say i dont like it
Old 11-18-2003, 02:03 AM
CAT

CAT is an unknown quantity at this point
Well of course this will go to the DUH factor.....but the obvious here is that I get a real thrill from riding tandem. As far as the liability issue is concerned.....from DAY 1 I've had a lawyer draw up papers that state very specifically that IF I were to ever be injured or killed while stunting that the FAULT is SOLEY MINE. No matter who it is with or where I'm at. Street OR Strip......Comp or not......MY CHOICE.... MY LIFE!

There is a great deal of trust when it comes to 2 up riding.....however it is a different kind of trust than most people think. It is kind of like sky diving......you TRUST that your chute will open on time......I trust my partner NOT to push the bike PAST it's limit.

I have been saying for a long time that there should be a seperate event for Tandem riders.....solo & tandem are like judging apples & oranges.....but anyone who has EVER held an event......says we belong with the PRO Individual Comps. Everyone there in TX heard me say to Tim Barnes that Tandem needs it's OWN CLASS.....but his comment was no everyone needs to bring it up to that level. His words....not mine.

To some riders......watching what I do is boring.....okay by me. But I ride for 2 reasons.....1) love to ride.....2) I love it when that little boy/girl comes to your booth afterward amazed that you'll take the time to get a photo with them or sign their shirt.

What Tandem riders do is different......As long as there is NO tandem class.....I'll compete where we're allowed to as Pro Freestyle......meaning ANYTHING goes.

And for those that think I'm just "hanging on" ...... you're wrong. I have to be balanced and in control of my movements too. Or we'd crash. Just my .02
Old 11-18-2003, 02:29 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person
I do some 2up stuff with the other guys in the group and R6Chick(April) that rides with us. I like it. We've even done some 3up stuff. I think it should have it's own category at comps though.
I am very cautious when doing this stuff. I take everything slow when trying new things. Also I'm the only one in the group anyone trusts enough to do it with.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:54 AM
TIM
DSR PIMP

TIM is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it has a thrill factor because another person can be hurt. But at the samew time i get bored with slow stunts because the risk factor isn't there. heaven forbid something to happen but at 70 a combo gone bad is going to hurt someone as a 10 m.p.h wheelie doesn't have the same oh **** factor
Old 11-18-2003, 07:56 AM

Thew1096 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't have a problem with tandem riders. And I don't care if their in the same class as the pros, as long as the rider is as skilled as the people their competing against. Sorry but Ant doing 2 up stuff is not the same as Cat or Gixxie. Ant can throw a passenger on his bike and compete because thats not all he has. If the rider becomes "just another stunter" without the passenger than I think my point is made.

As for the passengers thinking they have some major talent that no one else pocesses, please. I'll give you major ups for trusting someone else with your life, but think of it this way. Its like me jumping from my back seat to highchair, it takes balance, trust in the bike, some *****, and a little bit of talent, but I could teach anyone that was willing to try how to do it in about 5 minutes.

One Love,
Thew
Old 11-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Regular StuntLifer

tattoochick is an unknown quantity at this point
there is nothing like the look on peoples faces when we ride down 595 at 90mph on 1 wheel while i wave at all the passing cars

i agree with LunaChic we have to learn the balance and movements as well
Old 11-18-2003, 08:56 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough
yes, the passenger needs to be balanced and trusting, and it does take some sort of skill (not sure how much) to ride out back; but thew is correct in his analogy...i've done some two up stuff as both the rider and passenger and there IS a difference between a good and bad passenger.

i also think that tandem riders should be allowed to compete pro freestyle..i'm not scared to compete against them. i also think it wouldnt be a bad idea if i grabbed a tandem rider for a few tricks (a la ant or the euro's)...i think it CAN add to the overall performance. But, if a run is completely tandem, it MOST LIKELY wont be as fluid or have the same appeal or be as difficult as a solo run....

my 4 cents

Teach
Old 11-18-2003, 09:14 AM
*Rockstar*

vertical_joe is an unknown quantity at this point
We use tandem stuff as a part of our routines and shows.....it just adds another dimension. Like Thew and Teach said.....a run containing only 2up stuff is a bit much. But overall, from shows, we get a good reaction to tandem crap, but we use it sparingly. A couple tricks here and there, then back to solo. Joe
Old 11-18-2003, 09:31 AM
MISCHIEVOUS!

~Carms~ is a decent person
Im not even going to voice my opinion on this thread. Because im tired of people not knowing what the hell they are talking about!
And as for "the passenger has no talent" I find that comment very amusing.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Regular StuntLifer

tattoochick is an unknown quantity at this point
i totally agree with that just like someone who only wheelies and endos kind of gets boring also a more versatile rider makes a better rider
Old 11-18-2003, 09:34 AM

underzen is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by nags
I know I'll get flamed for it, but I do not enjoy watching tandem stunts... although, I'm pretty sure the non riding crowd likes it
werd to the ***** ****a.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:42 AM

Nefarious can only hope to improve
It has its own appeal, but I dont think it should be in the same comp class as the pros that stunt solo. Thats like playing tennis, and every once in a while, tag teaming on your opponent. Team vs Team, anything goes.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:54 AM
ROWDY'S WHEELIES

atl freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
I would have to say that i like watching it if it is not something ive seen before. I also do some 2 up with my girlfriend but its not all i do. I like to have the image that ant portrays, He can bust out all this **** solo and he can throw someone on the back and look just as As for knowing how much skill it takes to ride on the back I am uncertain but my girl says you do have to balance and know whats going to throw the bike off
Old 11-18-2003, 10:06 AM
MISCHIEVOUS!

I personally dont care to compete anyways..Im in for the fun.. It seems people have forgotten about the FUN part of stunting! Its all about status and whos better now a days... FU*K THAT!! I remember when we rode to have fun... Now its getting rediculous and people are getting too opinionative..What happend to being friends helping and supporting one another???
Old 11-18-2003, 10:14 AM

Sweeet is a decent person
I LOVE IT !!!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:16 AM

Ds BEOTCH is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by J.C.
i think that the passenger has no talent at all

and in most cases the rider doesnt have very good control

so i am going to have to say i dont like it
Man that is whack about the passenger having no talent,(I used to stunt ride solo, but I enjoy riding with my man now) I mean you don't have to like what we do but there is a level of respecting riding ability, have you ever rode on the back of a bike doing something other than a sitdown wheelie with another dude? And what's with the rider not having control? Ant is bada$$ & the fact that he can ride with a passenger & look just as smooth is even better. I ride on the back with my man & if I move wrong or throw my arms out too soon or too fast we could go into a tank slapper (like we did in Texas) or just wreck. About the classes, I like the rules in TX, the solo rider must make so many runs solo, & then everything goes, there is only a few people that come to mind anyways for 2 or 3 up riding. I usually get comments like girl your ***** are bigger than mine for doing that stuff. Don't hate it if you haven't even tried it man.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:26 AM
MISCHIEVOUS!

Originally posted by D's BEOTCH
. I usually get comments like girl your ***** are bigger than mine for doing that stuff. Don't hate it if you haven't even tried it man.
Hmm I got the same comments.. but then again 2 ups is boring.. Give all props to the rider.. Maybe we can tie a bunch of blow up dolls to the bikes now since we dont do a damn thing..
Old 11-18-2003, 10:35 AM
CAT

CAT is an unknown quantity at this point
D's Chick......you're right. As soon as I get off the bike people are like....."you're a GIRL!" or "You've got ***** for even thinking about doing that $h!t!" so SOMEONE must get thrill out of it.

I also agree with Thew and Teach.......the solo part needs to be as well rounded as the tandem stuff. And we're working on that too. But even if we did 5 of EVERYTHING.....XSBA's insurance policy still wouldn't allow us to compete. So that is a mute point for now. Carms....you're right. I'd have to say my favorite award EVER was sickest trick champion. Now that is a title I walked away with and NEVER heard anyone say anything NEGATIVE about tandem **** winning.

Girlz that stunt......we know the skillz it takes to ride on the back. We know, and respect you for havin the guts to TRUST and make it look easy at the same time. Now I'm not saying that the skill level is the SAME as a solo rider......but there is skill needed not to get freaked out when you scrape 12 and let go? Or right when he pops the wheelie......throw my weight back all at once and we would loop. Most guys that I've talked to think I've got bigger ***** then they do only because alot of them wouldn't even rider passenger up to the corner store without stunting.....let alone stand over the front wheel and while in a wheelie let go with both hands.

If what tandem 2up+ doesn't entertain you.....go get a hot dog from the concession stands while we're out there. 'Cause we're not going to just quit stunting. Carms.....don't dispare.....a few of us still ride on the weekends just for fun too.

Quick Reply: Tandem Stunts- What's Your Take