1998 GSXR750 Crashing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 02:26 PM
Regular StuntLifer

SpeedyCycles is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 GSXR750 Crashing

I know there are several people that swear by these bikes. I have not crashed this one yet, but curious to see how it will do if I do crash it. How well do these crash?

Does anyone else have a hard time with the on/off throttle for slow/high wheelies?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 11-22-2002, 05:11 PM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
I am too perfect to crash my 750don't look at my avitar or watch our video if you are going to belive that statement ...
Old 11-22-2002, 05:13 PM

Mickey C.C. is an unknown quantity at this point
98 gsxr 750 r dope

they crash awesome. I crashed mine at least 2 dozen and it holds up well. they only bad thing is the left rear set bracket brakes all the time, i had to replace 10 of them. so if you crash make sure it is on the right side.

and for 12s it good just gear it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cavestandlogo.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	5961  
Old 11-22-2002, 06:21 PM

shtbx is an unknown quantity at this point
i love my gixxer, when i crashed and broke my collar bone all i did was break the footpeg really, i've since broke some other stuff but **** happens.....anybody else have problems with the headlight? where it mounts on the bottom is torn off of mine, which SUCKS, the whole damn front bounces everywhere, and it gets stuck down sometimes when i do windscreen **** and i lose my steering cause the fairing stay gets caught on the fork tubes
Old 11-22-2002, 06:38 PM

Mickey C.C. is an unknown quantity at this point
use zip ties
Old 11-23-2002, 11:12 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Yeah, on our race 600 and SV650 (same foot brackets) we break them everytime it touches the ground. I have like 3 welded up that I put in the spares pile, any suggestions?

Also, I have the Yoshimura re-map box. I cannot seem to get the on/off throttle out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 11-23-2002, 11:54 AM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by shtbx
i love my gixxer, when i crashed and broke my collar bone all i did was break the footpeg really, i've since broke some other stuff but **** happens.....anybody else have problems with the headlight? where it mounts on the bottom is torn off of mine, which SUCKS, the whole damn front bounces everywhere, and it gets stuck down sometimes when i do windscreen **** and i lose my steering cause the fairing stay gets caught on the fork tubes
Exactlly, the headlight assembly sux...one crash and it is toast! The only good way to fix that is fiber glass the the frontend were the headlight goes and weld or bolt in some metal plates...only really need to do that for biscuit eaters(for the Northerners...Crossed-Up Endos ). I have also gone through MANY rear sets and Rear brackets...the right side is normally protected because it will hit the pipe first. Besides those minor issues it holds up pretty damn good.

You will deffinitely want to hook-up with Patrick from SBH to get the Enlarged frame slidders. I know I am about to as I am getting sick of replacing the damn rearsets all of the time.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:39 PM
Regular StuntLifer

metal doc is an unknown quantity at this point
A word to the wise . Get rid of the stock steering dampner. One good crash and it will destroy your radiator. I learned the hard way. As for the headlight , mine was broken before I ever laid the bike down. Just zip tie the S.O.B. down and cross your fingers.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:56 PM

shtbx is an unknown quantity at this point
i break the zip ties in like a day, i think i might try riviting on a piece of thin sheet metal or somethin,,,,it's winter so i gut time to figure out something good.........what's the deal with these super huge frame slidders, i want some, how much $ ???
Old 11-25-2002, 12:55 PM

TEDDY.B is an unknown quantity at this point
the stock rear sets are weak as hell. i bought some cfm rear sets. they take quite a beating, espically with hard pegs. they also protect the bike more. for the front fairing i took and ziptied it to the bottom legs of the headlight mount, since the headlight was already broken out, that stabalized it alot until the whole bottom of the upper cracked out.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:01 PM

Richey C.C. is an unknown quantity at this point
I GOT A ZX6 BUT MUH LIGHT IZ FUKKED 2 I THROW DRYWALL SCREWS IN IT AND IT HOLD LIKE NEW. AND ZIPTIES.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Originally posted by OWA.TED
the stock rear sets are weak as hell. i bought some cfm rear sets. they take quite a beating, espically with hard pegs. they also protect the bike more. for the front fairing i took and ziptied it to the bottom legs of the headlight mount, since the headlight was already broken out, that stabalized it alot until the whole bottom of the upper cracked out.

Yeah, the Woodcraft are great rear sets. At $350 a pair currently I just keep spare stock one around. I think the bracket is like $35 or so each.

Frank
Old 11-25-2002, 02:47 PM
dedrater

verticaljay is a decent person
Headlight 4 gixa

hey guys 4 all of you that have the same problem with the headlight and all 4 the gixa from 96-99 here is what I did and it works great.

This is what you will need.

3/8" pipe hanger (split ring) with 3/8-16 thread rod insert.

teflon tube 3/8 id 1/16" wall

3/8-16 threaded rod about 12"

3/8-16 nut

thrust washer

2 flat washers

Ok what you are doing now is running the 3/8 rod through the hole of your triple clamp nut and using the pipe hanger to grip the fairing stay.
You will want to put the teflon tube over the rod section that is going down into your triple nut (this prevents wear on the inside)
use a regular washer and then the thrust washer then another regular washer then put nut on the rod and slide it down into the hole of the triple nut.

Now bend your rod so it comes close to your fairing stay and thread on your pipe hangar and clamp it to your fairing stay.

I hope this is clear here is an outline hope this helps guys

threaded rod--------------------------------------------------------------
teflon tube | reg wash,thrust wash, reg wash
this is where your triple nut is
thread rod (cont)-------------------------------------------------------
Nut, pipe hangar

I will try to get some pics of mine if anyone is interested.

You can get all these parts from mcmaster.com or any hardware stores, I have the list of part numbers at home 4 the mcmaster stuff if anyone wants it.

Jay

Last edited by verticaljay; 11-25-2002 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:58 PM
dedrater

that seems sick, i wanna try that fix, the headlight bracket sucks *****, always busts up.

I will try and see if I can't get you the list of parts to buy from mcmaster.com and post the list here tomorrow. it's a totally sweet setup, I can do crossed up stoppies and all that stuff and it holds me up and won't break. it keeps your headlight off the lower mounting bracket if you do it right.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:01 PM

TEDDY.B is an unknown quantity at this point
I will try and see if I can't get you the list of parts to buy from mcmaster.com and post the list here tomorrow. it's a totally sweet setup, I can do crossed up stoppies and all that stuff and it holds me up and won't break. it keeps your headlight off the lower mounting bracket if you do it right.
i think thats pretty much like the bracket i built. storg as hell, doesn't move when crossed up, and the bike can fall on it and it won't bend. i flipped a crossed up stoppie and it didn't do anything to the bracket! i'll see if i can post a pic of mine too.
i used .5 in rebar for the stays and a hardened steel shaft to go down the head tube. then little tabs of .125 steel for the brackets.

T.ED

Yeah, the Woodcraft are great rear sets. At $350 a pair currently I just keep spare stock one around. I think the bracket is like $35 or so each.
i bought mine from fastlap. and i paid $200. well worth it though, they just don't bend or break, atleast they haven't for me yet.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:00 AM
dedrater

i think thats pretty much like the bracket i built. storg as hell, doesn't move when crossed up, and the bike can fall on it and it won't bend. i flipped a crossed up stoppie and it didn't do anything to the bracket! i'll see if i can post a pic of mine too.

Yeah mine is great to I swear by it, makes things a lot easier when your doing crossed up **** cause ur upper isnt flexin on ya.

I'll put a list and pic up if anyone is still interested, I just been so straight out I haven't had time to get it from my house.