F3 Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 04:31 PM
dwe

dwe is an unknown quantity at this point
F3 Help

(96' f3) Alright........my bike has developed a very slight knock. Done a little research and it seems like F3's are notorious for the cam chain tensioner going bad. Plus this is what everyone that hears it has told me.
Dont think its a rod or valve, just real low knock.
ANY BODY HAVE ANY ADVICE ON REPLACING ???????

NEver really messed with one. I took the cover off and looked.....

Can you tell just by look\feel if it is not tight enough or out of balance or whatever the hell it is that goes bad with em?

HOw do you set the tension on a new one?

Also, I know there is the actual tensioner itself that can be bought adjustable, then there is the arm that sticks down and actually has the chain guide on it, replace both...or just the adj. part????

Clueless
Old 09-28-2003, 07:06 PM
that guy

CHIMNEY is an unknown quantity at this point
buy a 929 hehe sorry can't help had my done by someone who knows what they were doing me = dumb@ss
Old 09-28-2003, 07:23 PM

BigMic900RR is an unknown quantity at this point
there should be a cam chain tensioner on the out side of the bike on the right side of the motor replace that see if the noise goes away. this is what it kind of looks like
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64_1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	35769  
Old 09-28-2003, 08:03 PM
dwe

BigMic.......yeah the one on it is stock(not adjustable)
Know anything about how to set it once i replace?? Just tighten until it quits knocking???? I know JACK about em. Cant stand putting my bike in the shop but looks like I may have to.

Any advice hit me back!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 09:52 PM

BigMic900RR is an unknown quantity at this point
the stock one have a spring in them that get worn out over time i would go to honda or go on ebay and get a new one that is spring loaded and you should be good to go.? does the knock go away when you rev up the motor.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Regular StuntLifer

twist~ROC is an unknown quantity at this point
the noise get loud around 5000 than get a little louder as you go up. i took the stock off and put it back on(one i bought wasnt correct) after i put the stock one back on the noise went away, to replace take the old off and put the new one on make sure it is tight but not to tight, if the bike stalls its to tight, very bad little tick alright, a little loose is better than a little tight, good luck
Old 09-29-2003, 11:49 AM
dwe

BigMIc, yeah the knock goes away if you roll on the throttle then comes back as it revs down

Roc2...were you able to tell that the tensioner was loose or out of balance before you changed yours??? Mine feels like its tight as hell on the chain but not sure about how this all works so...............Im an idiot
Old 09-29-2003, 12:26 PM

SPINE is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a site to replacing the CCT on an F4.

CCT Replacement

I have to do this to mine, .

Seems like the F4's flaw. The aftermarket one that is adjustable is APE brand, check them out.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Regular StuntLifer

twist~ROC is an unknown quantity at this point
you could just here the noise, like a clicking noise, 5000-9000 it would make a noise, if the bike warmed up it might disappear, but when the bike is warming up its really annoying, do you have a aftermarket one on now. if so tighten it, if not take off the stock one and but it back on see if it stops, otherwise get a aftermarket, put it on loose and tighten it until it feel snug, turn your bike on and see if the noise is gone, if not adjust it.