12 Bar Twisting Problem!!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 AM

NBSTUNTERZdave is an unknown quantity at this point
12 Bar Twisting Problem!!!! Help!!!

ok, i got a gsx-r 750 and i just started hitting the bar. the bar is like 3 inches off the tail section. the bar is mounted to where the rear pegs bolt on and then supported to the bottom af the end of the subframe. now this thing is straight, i am positive of this cuz it will stand straight up by itself and i measured it 20 times.

well after it hit it a couple more times i noticed it was only hitting the left side of the skid plate. on video from a rear veiw, you can see the left side hit first cuz its twisting my whole tail section!!! now im no fat azz, i only weigh 160.

has anyone had this problem??????

thanks for the help,
dave
Old 09-17-2003, 10:55 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Brett256 is an unknown quantity at this point
If everything measures out straight on the bar then the surface you are scraping on, be it a parking lot or street, is probably not flat.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:00 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Wne you first start scraping you usually hit on one side or the other. Keep practicing, you'll get straighter.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 AM

its sort of flat but when i do a high sit down it is straight compared to the ground, but as soon as i put my left foot on the back and do it again on the same stretch of ground you can definitly see its not straight, its like the subframe is twisting, putting the left side into the ground first...
Old 09-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice
not to get off the topic but 3 inches out seems to be a little too long , on a new gen. gixer the bar should be up against the tailight
Old 09-17-2003, 04:45 PM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person
Originally posted by skillz
not to get off the topic but 3 inches out seems to be a little too long , on a new gen. gixer the bar should be up against the tailight
Yeah, mine is 3 inches off the subframe and that's just where it needs to be.

As far as the subframe twisting you're right. It's from allyour weight being on the left peg. Stand behind the bike and twist the bar back and forth. You'll see that it twists really easy. It's no big deal. Just keep rocking it. And shorten that bar up.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:05 PM
Regular StuntLifer

twist~ROC is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe because you are standing on the left rear peg, stablize the subframe bar that mount to the frame with some steel bars might help.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:19 PM

yeah, it may be a little bit out, but remember the gixxers tail section is shorter and the rear tire actually sticks out further without a bar. i just hit it for the first time on sunday and once i get comfortable and consistant, i'll shorten her up, trust me....

how should i strengthen the tail section so it wount twist up on me????
Old 09-17-2003, 06:28 PM

mikelocal12 is an unknown quantity at this point
put a level on your skid plate, that **** could be off. Try parking it on the bar and see if it will balance. if it doesn't that skid plate isn't right.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:29 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
ya, way too long...almost all bikes the 12 bar has to be on the end of the tail or even closer. the bike will be unstable if you don't have it full 12 or more than 12. trust me, i just cut my bar shorter and it's much more stable.

and you can bolt something between the subframe bars to make it more stable. i jsut don't worry about it, you want it to give some anyways.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:06 AM

gsxrpeter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey on my gsxr I had a problem of the subframe allways coming loose when i'd twelve. You should realy put some lock tight on those bolts on the subframe.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:33 AM
2 WHEELS UP!

Originally posted by gsxrpeter1
hey on my gsxr I had a problem of the subframe allways coming loose when i'd twelve. You should realy put some lock tight on those bolts on the subframe.

Mine always did that too. I just went to Ace and got longer bolts and put nuts on the backside and tightened the s##t out of them. You will also probably end up breaking the lower mounts off the frame like I did. Your best bet is to find a good aluminum welder and have that gusseted up. Then take some 3/4"x1/8" aluminum strapping, again from the hardware store and run it down the sides of the lower subframe bars. Bolt if to your frame mount and a couple spots spread out down the bars. If you break something then you are hitting the bar way too hard!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:44 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
gixxers definetley have somewhat soft subframes.. you can see them move when you put your weight on the rear peg
Old 09-18-2003, 03:42 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Spark~R.O.C. is an unknown quantity at this point
also... right where the left rear footpeg bracket mounts to the subframe bolt a piece of alluminum or steel vertical to the top of the subframe...that will help the subframe from twisting...Mark from MPZ has a solid piece of aluminum welded on to make it very solid
Old 09-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by gsxrpeter1
yeah, i allready did replace the bolts as said below this post. i saw geggv's frame, how he strengthened the frame for the lower subframe bolts. im working on that right now. im still not absolutly comfortable with scraping , but when i am the bar will be shortened.

and thanks to all of you with your help on this!!!!! thats what brothers are for...

dave
Old 09-18-2003, 04:54 PM
2 WHEELS UP!

Well, I f-d up today. I was doing a standing still park, where you just stand with both feet on the ground and rip it up and park it. Well I ripped it up too hard and the back tire came off the ground and it landed hard on the top of the bar. I saved it but now it broke the top right side subframe mount/frame off. I cant win. Every time I think I get something fixed I f-up somthing else. Oh well, I'll just have it welded and strengthened up next week.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by mikelocal12
put a level on your skid plate, that **** could be off. Try parking it on the bar and see if it will balance. if it doesn't that skid plate isn't right.
if i set the bike up on the bar, it will stay up straight, no problem

so if ima park it, what do i do, pull the clutch in as soon as the bar hits??? and stay on the brake???
Old 09-18-2003, 06:28 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by NBSTUNTERZdave
if i set the bike up on the bar, it will stay up straight, no problem

so if ima park it, what do i do, pull the clutch in as soon as the bar hits??? and stay on the brake???
set the bar ont eh ground and once you get a good drag then grab the clutch and let it slow itself down. don't use much brake if any at all once it's on the bar otherwise it'll fall back on 2 wheels.