easy wheelie question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:10 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about
easy wheelie question

I was workin on getting wheelies up today and I just wanted to know if it is going to be harder to do standups without rear pegs. Or does it not make any difference?I noticed on the bike I got yesterday that it has none. I have gotten it to come up and am going to work on it again tomorrow and everyday til I gett'em and ride it at balancing point. I have jumped it up a little and know now that it takes some throttle to get'er up there.....

I hear that it is easier to learn doin sit-downs but I feel more comfortable standing up....

LATER
Old 09-05-2003, 01:40 AM

tach409 is an unknown quantity at this point
well using the rear pegs tends to make the BP a little lower...but in my experence gixxers tend to have a low BP
(compared to my rc51 and my budies 954rr anyways)
i'd say don't worry about rear pegs stay up front and cover the brake...ya never know when that gust of headwind is gonna rock ya back too far
(yea i'm still a squid and worry about theese things)
Old 09-05-2003, 02:03 AM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point
from my experience the rear pegs makes the balance point higher not lower
Old 09-06-2003, 04:48 PM
zod

zod is an unknown quantity at this point
i like the front pegs stand ups are easyer the hard part about them is getting over the fear
Old 09-06-2003, 10:14 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
ya, it's easier to get it up and balance it on the rear peg (never stand on both rear pegs) BUT, it kinda messes up your side to side balance.

when i rock long *** highway wheelies i have both feet on front pegs, you have to lock your elbows nad knees and just hang back and the balance point is really high. LIke someone said you have to get over that fear of falling backwards cause it feels like you do. with both feet on the front pegs i can shift lanes and everything better.

and definately keep that foot over the rear brake and ready. Just tonight i had a gust of wind hit me and i about did an 80mph scrape. I think my camera man got it but i'm not sure. i'm checking video now, i do know the bike coasted once it went past the BP and if i wasn't used to doing 12's i probably would have crashed instead of eased on teh brake and brought it down.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:22 PM

bler is an unknown quantity at this point
what fear ?

the only thing I don't like, is having to hang onto the bike with my arms when I do front peg standups... rear peg standups let me to support myself more with my legs then arms..

and btw, why no double rear peg standups ?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:25 PM
back in the saddle again

well....normal people fear....
Old 09-07-2003, 12:07 AM

kadam is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by bler

and btw, why no double rear peg standups ?
So when it starts to go over you have a chance to hit the rear brake while your crapping your pants hehe
Old 09-07-2003, 12:12 AM

usualsuspects is an unknown quantity at this point
binder why do you say never stand on both back pegs? i do. i almost can scrape like that maybe like 6 more inches. but i'm scared kuz the rear brake ain't there.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:54 AM
Yea...I got that!

Reckless01 is a decent person
Originally posted by usualsuspects
binder why do you say never stand on both back pegs? i do. i almost can scrape like that maybe like 6 more inches. but i'm scared kuz the rear brake ain't there.
you jus anwsered your own question bro, try that scrape on both pegs without knowing how to do it and its an asphalt tango for you...seriously unless you can rock really slow **** like kyle, gorka, chauncy patrick...etc you wont wanna hit the tail on both rear pegs or away from the rear brake
Old 09-07-2003, 01:17 AM
back in the saddle again

bingo....go ahead and do rear peg stand-ups.....that's the second easiest way to loop a bike. first easiest is the imfamous "power wheelie" that never stops powering.

i used to do rear peg standups until i realized the danger in them....there is nothing to protect you so it's not really that safe. Plus have you ever stood on teh rear pegs and looked at the subframe? it's not made to have all the weight on them, it's bad enough with one foot back there. I'd hate to see that thing snap twist when you are in a wheelie.

and definately don't touch tail, you'll hit BP and then BAMB...you'll be on your *** because the tail will hit and you won't know what to do.